Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Default New gun-control policies coming soon

Here it comes

A re-elected Liberal government will ban some types of "assault-style" rifles, as well as introduce additional restrictions on where firearms can be possessed or stored, according to Bill Blair, who has been the party's pointman on gun control.

The planned measures will be announced "very, very shortly" as part of the Liberals' campaign platform, Blair said in an interview with The Fifth Estate.

"I have recommended that there are certain weapons that are currently not prohibited that should be prohibited, which means no one should be allowed to have those weapons in our society," he said.

"I will tell you that I am confident that a Liberal government will enact effective regulation and legislation … to remove weapons that are, in my opinion, just too dangerous in a civil society."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun...-ban-1.5290679
Old 09-20-2019, 08:01 AM

I was expecting a total ban on handguns
Old 09-20-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I was expecting a total ban on handguns
I think they'll be going for central storage till they get banned later
Old 09-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned

The manufacturers will do it for them https://ca.news.yahoo.com/colt-stop-...opstories.html
Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Not that I'm oblivious to the obvious threat, but one fact I'm hopeful for is Liberals are horrible with breaking their election promises.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Default Handgun ban

Just back from doing fall pre work on Trapline. Grizz and black bear poop everywhere. Now Libs considering taking away my handgun for protection, what next!
Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 AM

The CBC quotes the 75% support number from this poll

http://angusreid.org/gun-control-handgun-ban/

The CBC does not refer to the notes associated with the poll...

Those with more self-professed knowledge of Canada’s gun laws are more comfortable with the current procedure for acquiring a license and firearm. This group is also more likely to say Canadian gun laws overall are too strict – 37 per cent say this. Those with no knowledge are nearly three-times as likely to say the laws are not strict enough compared to the most well-informed (54% to 20%)

Some of the Angus Reid Institute’s findings are at odds with those recently released from an online survey by the Government of Canada. While the government survey found close to four-in-five Canadians saying they did not believe more should be done to limit access to handguns or assault weapons, ARI found nearly the opposite. Important methodological differences explain this and are discussed later in the report
Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Trudeau talking live: Liberals promise to prohibit semi-automatic assault rifles, allow cities to ban handguns

No long gun registry, according to him. What’s an assault looking rifle? Are they going to go New Zealand way and ban firearms like Winchester SX3, Browning BAR, etc?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:08 AM

All I can say is all you bolt gun owners that don't think this will effect you better wise up quick.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 AM

My guess is if it’s a semi auto with a detachable mag and pistol grip it will be prohibited.

And allow municipality’s to ban handguns will do nothing since the gang bangers wont give 2 sh!ts
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Ahhh the brown faced groper could care less, all he cares about are votes and a seat in the UN....Canada and especially western Canada mean nothing to him or his party.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM

Liberal ‘logic’: People were buying marijuana anyways so we legalized it, now we can control it

The bulk of illegal firearm use is from those not licensed to own them in the first place. Think this is going to stop them?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Was this planned all along? The timing makes me wonder if it isn't a great distraction from blackface?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Just so everyone is clear, if a thread deals with gov't/political decisions that are directly related to the outdoors and outdoor pursuits, it is allowed. If it becomes just a bashing thread then it too is closed. If it is straight politics and no outdoor angle like this thread, then it is a good bet the op, and those who chime in will be on the sidelines. I can safely speak for all the mods, we are tired of wasting our time on this stuff.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:35 AM

I notice that they are also promising amendment to the storage regs?

From CBC site:

The Liberal gun control platform also promises to:

• Prevent people suspected of posing a danger to themselves or others, including their partners or children, from possessing or acquiring new firearms.
  • Require that everyone importing ammunition show proof of a valid firearms licence.
  • Strengthen safe-storage laws to make it harder for legal weapons to fall into the hands of criminals.
  • Not bring back the long-gun registry.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I notice that they are also promising amendment to the storage regs?

From CBC site:

The Liberal gun control platform also promises to:

• Prevent people suspected of posing a danger to themselves or others, including their partners or children, from possessing or acquiring new firearms.
  • Require that everyone importing ammunition show proof of a valid firearms licence.
  • Strengthen safe-storage laws to make it harder for legal weapons to fall into the hands of criminals.
  • Not bring back the long-gun registry.
They've been talking about central storage for quite a while now, assuming that's what they are proposing.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just so everyone is clear, if a thread deals with gov't/political decisions that are directly related to the outdoors and outdoor pursuits, it is allowed. If it becomes just a bashing thread then it too is closed. If it is straight politics and no outdoor angle like this thread, then it is a good bet the op, and those who chime in will be on the sidelines. I can safely speak for all the mods, we are tired of wasting our time on this stuff.
Isn't a potential ban of rifles or handguns related to outdoor pursuits? Many people hunt with semi autos and many trappers carry handguns for bear protection. I agree with the no bashing but people need to be aware.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Trudeau said a re-elected Liberal government would work with the provinces and territories to give municipalities the ability to further restrict – or ban – handguns.

Trudeau wants to give the various municipalities the power to enact central storage or a total ban.

In Toronto Tory wants all firearms locked up in central storage including hunting rifles and shotguns, more than likely a ban on handguns.

This could happen anywhere in Canada if this flies
Old 09-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Isn't a potential ban of rifles or handguns related to outdoor pursuits? Many people hunt with semi autos and many trappers carry handguns for bear protection. I agree with the no bashing but people need to be aware.
Yep.

I hunt with one of these so called assault weapons (Stag 10 6.5creed) and it does everything a bolt action does and more.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Exactly.
The results of this election have huge consequences for hunters, and outdoorspeoplekind.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 PM

About the only way to push this back to the next Liberal gov't that gets elected down the road, is to vote, we have to get out and vote. Even if the Cons get a minority gov't, we will suffer the consequences of the NDP and Green party backing them to overrule the Cons on this. And that could conceivably be worse than what the Libs are proposing by themselves. And don't count on the PPC to help, they have a good number of candidates that won't help us either, and Bernier has no particular affinity to gun owners either.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Knee jerk reaction society..

There are so many waaaaaayyy more important things to deal with in government.

This issue has zero merit. And the media / politicians make mt everest out of an ant hill.

These are the stats.

With a population of 37 million and only 249 deaths a year. That is a percentage of 0.000672%. Which is a probability of roughly 1 in 150,000 people.

The stat but I would like to know, is how many of those or with legally acquired weapons

Last edited by CanadianEh; 09-20-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:54 PM

Everyone paying attention knows he'd do this and more, if re-elected. Absolutely no excuse not to VOTE this clown out of power.
Make sure you VOTE!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
People were complaining that this thread should be shut down. I wrote my post for them. This is a completely valid thread and topic. Affects all gun owners.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
People were complaining that this thread should be shut down. I wrote my post for them. This is a completely valid thread and topic. Affects all gun owners.
If people were complaining about this thread I seriously think we should be screening membership! Obviously some members do not belong here.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If people were complaining about this thread I seriously think we should be screening membership! Obviously some members do not belong here.
Likely someone who got in trouble for starting a pure politics thread.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Ok that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully people can keep the bashing and name calling out of it and focus on the affects of the liberal proposal.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:20 PM

When engaging with people you know who may be either uninformed or worse, misinformed, about firearms on social media, try to cover actual statistics such as the graph posted earlier in this thread (I have the desktop version of the same graph posted below). Write calmly and cover the facts such as how Canadian firearm owners are already highly vetted with in-depth background checks, require multiple character references and are statistically vastly less likely to commit a violent crime than are Canadians who are not licensed to own firearms. I've pulled data from Statscan in previous discussions to this effect and it often has good effect when presented, people are thrown off by data that isn't from a cheap meme. I recall a few times where I stopped Anti's in their tracks, or at the very least shut them up by posting actual facts, one was some stranger commenting on a Facebook entry of a real life friend from AO, this anti-gunner decided to quote firearm 'facts' from the USA about spousal firearm homicides being astronomically high. I pulled up the FBI's uniform crime report, posted the actual facts and verbally eviscerated him for repeating misinformation and passing it off as fact when he was clearly lying.

Note things such as how the very recent meeting of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police announced that no new firearms laws were necessary according to them, they are fine with what is currently on the books. They know that the criminals will not suddenly be stopped by an additional 'barrier' when they already currently ignore all of the other ones.

It has been made abundantly clear that Liberals and their supporters who do not know anything about firearms or current Canadian laws surrounding them are ill-equipped to make decisions on the subject due to their clear lack of knowledge about firearms or the applicable laws. Its akin to having Health Canada run by anti-vaxxers, witch doctors and shamans. The Liberals previous attempts with the gun registry going vastly over budget into multiple billions of dollars cost taxpayers immensely and had a negligible effect on crime, had that money been spent elsewhere it could have had much greater benefit, for the most part is was the equivalent of setting the money on fire.

The crime we read about & see is primarily gang-related and the guns used by those criminals were not obtained legally. If banned they will simply continue obtaining them illegally be they pistols or rifles (the gov't statistics show that they prefer pistols about 3 to 1 over rifles). Under a ban there would be no difference in terms of the existing crime rate; just as those same criminals import illegal drugs such as meth, cocaine, fentanyl and heroin, etc they would still be acquiring firearms as they already do and always have.

As we're bombarded with media coverage of shootings in the USA, note how much less frequently we have such problems here, and in those infrequent instances how rare it is for those shooters to have acquired a firearm legally in the first place.

Note also that this program is proposed to be run by the same Liberals who are failing at keeping the illegal firearms from crossing our border in the first place. They're failing at that and they are re-directing their efforts at the low-hanging fruit of those who are already law-abiding, those who are not a problem in the first place. The same group who is letting deadly fentanyl and carfentanyl flood through our borders wants to be in charge of banning certain firearms; I think they've proven themselves incompetent as it is, they don't need more tasks to underperform at.

If there is an epidemic they should be focusing on it is this, no firearms. Here is the official Canadian gov't data on opioid-related deaths and you'll notice that 4460 deaths in 2018 is quite a bit more than the 249 homicides by firearms in the same year. Perhaps they should be focusing more energy on that??

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/da...mortality.html

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=3510007201

As an additional note, take a moment and think about those opioid related deaths and consider the other things surrounding that issue, there is the crime rate driven by the drug users, the police resources they tie up and perhaps the highest burden they put on the taxpayers: the cost of their repeat and perpetual drain on the health care system. These addicts are tying up emergency wards nationwide, I was in emergency recently for a minor poke with a drill and addicts comprised 30-40% of the patients present.

If the Liberals truly want to save the most lives, they'd be focusing on that, but instead they're using firearms and peoples unfamiliarity with them as a scare tactic just to get votes.

4460 opioid deaths versus 249 firearms deaths in the same year. The math is simple, the government should focus on improving the big number, not miniscule/ frankly immeasurable changes to the small number.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-20-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM

Very curious how they want to strengthen safe storage laws.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
All I can say is all you bolt gun owners that don't think this will effect you better wise up quick.
Don't snipe at bolt gun owners .Just what do you think the "bolt gun owners can do to change this? These people do not listen to gun owners . we do not have lobby groups with political sway like they do in the U.S. . The people that want to bring in these types of laws are the same people that are okay with the Aga Kahan scandal the SNC scandal the Blackface joke, the Groper pm, the Pm who elbows women and throws a tantrum to get his way.
They will do as they wish if they get elected again and gun owners will not stop them . This country is made up of left wing nut bars to the extent that even our Conservative party would be considered left wing south of the border. Enjoy your guns while you can or bury them for future use but the Libs will do as they have always done. Cater to the GTA, Vancouver and Montreal which for the most part is all they need.