Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Agree with plugging all holes. That's the key.

I store my trailer in a lot where I don't have regular access (it's closed over the winter) so I can't check traps etc. What I use during that time is an electronic automated trap to catch any odd ones that may happen to find their way in.

These are not cheap; however, they kill the mice fast, and cleanup is simple.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:48 PM

We use bounce sheets as well. We clean the trailer as if your about to host a fancy party, and then I put one piece of bounce in every cubby, including the water heater. We leave all our bedding in black garbage bags with bounce in it and have never had a mouse in our trailer. We also park our trailer in a field with a few others. They have had mice and don't use bounce.

Personally I'll keep doing it until it stops working. Been working for over a decade so far...
Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 PM

I spray foam every hole that the applicator tube can fit into. You must open EVERY access panel and put out all lower drawers and find EVERY hole that a pipe or wire comes through and fill it up. This includes under the tub. For under the tub I use a piece of 3/8 plastic air line taped onto the spray foam tube and carefully guide it under the tub and other non reachable spots and pump the foam in and let it fill up the holes. One major thing I see people NOT do, is close the little flap that has a slot in it where the electrical cord comes out while using the trailer. The rubber cord is a perfect little ladder for the buggers to climb up and right into the inner workings of the trailer under the cupboards!!!
Every fall I crawl under and check and spray foam some more. Seems you always find another hole.🙄
Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 PM

I have had success with plain old bounce sheets. Also do a thorough cleaning and never leave any food, spices etc.. in the trailer.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
I have had success with plain old bounce sheets. Also do a thorough cleaning and never leave any food, spices etc.. in the trailer.
X2
Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 PM

Mice can't stand red shale for whatever reason. Farmers in my area build pads for their grain bins out of it and i park my crappy old motorhome on my r.v pad thats gotta lift of red shale and never had a mouse issue.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:31 PM

I have had mice chew on Irish Spring bars of soap and poop on bounce sheets, what worked best for me is called Mouse Free (http://www.mouse-free.com/) havent had a problem since i have started using this a couple of years ago.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:30 PM

Two winters with my trailer in storage and haven't had a mouse in there yet. All I do is go to the dollar store, buy a bunch of bags of moth balls and spread them under the trailer. Before the trailer goes to storage, I take all food items out and clean all the shelves. Stove and BBQ go into my garage for winter use.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Banned

we have had a 24 ft lynx/prowler bumper pull since 1990 and never had a mouse in it........we also have a travelaire 5th wheel that has been infested ever since we bought it.

tried the steel wool/spray foam and really slowed them down, but what seemed to stop them was a spray treatment we bought from a farm product sales place. it comes in a gallon container with a spay gun not unlike the ones you fill with paint and spray. anyway, I crawled around under the fifth wheel spraying this goop stuff all around the frame/axles etc, and that was the end of the little critters.

like everyone else on here, I believe bounce, soap, and a bunch of other home remedies are a bunch of old wives tales.

just ran out to the garage to check....the name of the stuff is 'mouse free' (original eh?). cost was about a hundred bucks for a gallon c/w spray gun that you hook up to your compressor. should be enough in a gallon for two or three more years.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Default Tomcat

Clean and seal as above.

We also put a glue board and a block of poison just in case someone does make it in.

I use the little blocks that are in a plastic box from UFA.They are called Tomcat.

http://en-ca.tomcatbrand.com/smg/goA...anada/31700030
Old 08-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Soak cotton balls with Peppermint Oil, and place in corners and under cabinets and bed. The strong smell will keep them away as they navigate with their noses. If they get in they won't stay long, plus you're trailer will be minty fresh in spring! Also Charcoal around the tires or where they would climb in.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:59 PM

My trailer sits on my acreage yr round and I do not have mice. Used to in the garage as well. Moth balls should be placed inside the RV not out. You can get them at most dollar stores and they are just a small packet you spread a few around the rv and they will leave just like all other critters that smell them do. I also spread them in my garage and have not a mouse in yrs. Change them out every 3 or 4 months.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
My trailer sits on my acreage yr round and I do not have mice. Used to in the garage as well. Moth balls should be placed inside the RV not out. You can get them at most dollar stores and they are just a small packet you spread a few around the rv and they will leave just like all other critters that smell them do. I also spread them in my garage and have not a mouse in yrs. Change them out every 3 or 4 months.
I guess if you want your trailer to smell like gramma's house, toss in your mothball's. Try not using any and see if they get in, were they getting in before you put in mothballs? I tried these, bounce sheets, & irish spring soap, none of it worked, finding the entrance and sealing it up did.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Take a pail and cut 2 groves in the top and put a small dowel with peanut butter on the top in the middle. Put a ramp up to the dowel

Put some antifreeze in the bottom.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Well I had a few mouse turds under my 2 bathroom sink vanities in my fifth wheel this spring. They never got anywhere else in the camper but under the sinks. So I set traps for a few weeks and caught 1 mouse. I then sealed up all the piping that goes through the floor to underbelly. I then crawled under and any little hole or ripple in the under belly I spray foamed and stuffed steel wool in. I spent a good hour under there and used 2 cans of spray foam. Used it a few times this summer no more signs of mice. Just went to check it at our storage spot and the little mother &$@?ers are in the heating ducts now. Could see mouse turds through the register vents. I searched the rest of the camper and see no signs anywhere else. I’m currently trying to trap them in duct work the little buggers licked the bait off both traps and set them off but no catch. What are my options once I get them caught they obviously are getting into a vent from the heated underbelly or have chewed into duct work. Can a guy clean duct work properly? they could have a nest built in the furnace now. What a pi$$ off camper is only 2 years old. Any opinions or ideas.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM

🐈 🐱 Meow!!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:34 PM

Default Variety of Solutions

Had mice several years ago, they seemed to like to chew on Q-Tips and any loose crumbs behind drawers etc. The holes were foamed and refoamed, dumped about 40 Bounce sheets in every compartment, about 40 mothballs everywhere (smelled like Grannys house) and added 2 bait traps which we restock every year.

No mice since, not sure what worked but seems good so far.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 PM

The majority of natural mouse repellent/home remedies people usually think of such as peppermint, moth balls, and ultrasonic sound waves don’t actually work at all.

It’s possible that you might see a temporary effect and perhaps not see quite as many rodents around, but these methods will not permanently remove mice and rats from your home or business.

Rats and mice are pretty smart creatures. They know that it’s a dangerous world out there for an animal of their size, so once they have found a home safe from predators, the elements as well as a constant supply of food they will not move out. They would rather put up with ultrasonic sound waves and peppermint than risk leaving their new home.

https://www.jcehrlich.com/mice/myth-...ce-repellents/

The only way to keep mice out is to plug anyway they can get it in, if you have mice trap, trap and more trap until they are all dead dead dead
A small dab of peanut better on the trigger works best.

I tried every home method possible to no avail, do you really want to protect your $30K investment with a bounce sheet?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The majority of natural mouse repellent/home remedies people usually think of such as peppermint, moth balls, and ultrasonic sound waves don’t actually work at all.

It’s possible that you might see a temporary effect and perhaps not see quite as many rodents around, but these methods will not permanently remove mice and rats from your home or business.

Rats and mice are pretty smart creatures. They know that it’s a dangerous world out there for an animal of their size, so once they have found a home safe from predators, the elements as well as a constant supply of food they will not move out. They would rather put up with ultrasonic sound waves and peppermint than risk leaving their new home.

https://www.jcehrlich.com/mice/myth-...ce-repellents/

The only way to keep mice out is to plug anyway they can get it in, if you have mice trap, trap and more trap until they are all dead dead dead
A small dab of peanut better on the trigger works best.

I tried every home method possible to no avail, do you really want to protect your $30K investment with a bounce sheet?
Exactly right. Plug every hole you can find and set lots of traps. like 10 times more than you think.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:04 PM

Plug and clean like everyone else says but set a couple poison bait stations outside your trailer. I go to an exterminator and buy the regulated poison that they use in restaurants and food service establishments.

My exterminator says if you provide the mice with food (poison) outside, they’ll have no reason to go in your trailer. Feed em outside and let them die outside. I usually grab $20 worth of glue traps and lay them out along all the inside walls too. The amount of bugs you catch on those glue traps over a winter is gross.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
X2! The Irish spring is BS too they chew on it

set 12 traps with peanut butter and check once a month
Seams like something work for some people and not others. We have been using bounce and Irish spring for 13yrs and no problem( knock on wood). Our trailer always smells good too. We also empty everything out so it works for us whatever it is. All the best to everyone fighting those little ****ers. P.S doesn’t the peanut butter on traps just attract them in?
Old 09-20-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Seams like something work for some people and not others. We have been using bounce and Irish spring for 13yrs and no problem( knock on wood). Our trailer always smells good too. We also empty everything out so it works for us whatever it is. All the best to everyone fighting those little ****ers. P.S doesn’t the peanut butter on traps just attract them in?
Maybe your trailer is sealed and they can't get in? I've only had one trailer out of four where I had mouse problems they made nests out of the bounce sheets and ate the Irish spring.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Default X2

I have had the same issue with bounce sheets and almost the exact same bar of soap pic lmao
Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 PM

I will post my question again my last post was kind of a rant about the pesky little rodents. Anyone have any experience with mice being in the heating ducts in a camper. What can be done to clean the pi$$ and ***** out after I catch all the mice. Kind of worried they may have a nest built right in the furnace now and to properly clean the ducting to get the smell and make the ducting free of any virus/diseases the little ********s might have been carrying. I do plan on finding the source of how they are getting in yet too.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
I will post my question again my last post was kind of a rant about the pesky little rodents. Anyone have any experience with mice being in the heating ducts in a camper. What can be done to clean the pi$$ and ***** out after I catch all the mice. Kind of worried they may have a nest built right in the furnace now and to properly clean the ducting to get the smell and make the ducting free of any virus/diseases the little ********s might have been carrying. I do plan on finding the source of how they are getting in yet too.

From the Center of Disease Control.
https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

Note*- 1.5 cups of chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of water will kill hanti virus. Some other disinfectants don't.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 09-20-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Great article Red Bullets. Thanks for that!!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:45 PM

You are welcome. Mice can be serious problems. several years ago a local boy got hanti virus. Just west of Leduc. Really drove home the possiblity around all the farm buildings let alone holiday trailers.

One thing the article doesn't mention is to spray bleach around the perimeter of your buildings. Mice follow scent trails to mouse holes. The bleach kills the scent trails. Then with trapping and plugging holes you might be safe.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-20-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Maybe your trailer is sealed and they can't get in? I've only had one trailer out of four where I had mouse problems they made nests out of the bounce sheets and ate the Irish spring.

No, I’m with ya. We just use that stuff and have been lucky so continue to. We got mice on 1 trip. Believe the came in up power cord and in through there. We now stuff with foam shaped around cord with foil tape on it. Then foil tape on out side around cord, with last 2 feet wrapped lightly in tinfoil(can’t grip on it). We also plug any little holes around slide rails with steelwool.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
You are welcome. Mice can be serious problems. several years ago a local boy got hanti virus. Just west of Leduc. Really drove home the possiblity around all the farm buildings let alone holiday trailers.

One thing the article doesn't mention is to spray bleach around the perimeter of your buildings. Mice follow scent trails to mouse holes. The bleach kills the scent trails. Then with trapping and plugging holes you might be safe.
Just West of Leduc. Well that is where I’m at in Calmar just moved there last fall. Well I sure hope all mice in the area don’t carry the Hanti Virus. I’m gonna drop the underbelly covering out next spring and clean it all out and start fresh again and seal it up myself. $56000 for a camper and they can’t make it so rodents can’t get into it what a shame.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
From the Center of Disease Control.
https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

Note*- 1.5 cups of chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of water will kill hanti virus. Some other disinfectants don't.
thanks for this, will be spraying bleach first thing this morning, week from hell on mice here between trailer, garage and utility room in basement, better half says all the foam I'm spraying in every little space looks awful but when on a mission, usually mice worse at harvest time but this year just crazy