Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Fence post by house

Hey AO,

I need to set a fence post right by my house to hang a gate on. I've dug a nice hole and it had me wondering - is there any problem with having the concrete that the post is set in right up against the foundation wall? I'd like to have the post as close to the house as possible.

I appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Are you worry about the weight of the door?? if there lots of weight you can put a guide wheel on the bottom on the gate .
Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 PM

Not exactly sure what you think the problem will be? There are literally tens of thousands of fence posts right up against houses and garages.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Just wondering if there would be any conceivable problem with having the concrete sitting up against the foundation - for example having some water potentially run down there and freeze - heaving the post away from the house.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 PM
Banned

If that's your concern I'd set the post in crushed rock , (not gravel) that way if it does frost heave it will settle back as the frost dissipates.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Better to put it in 3/4 washed crushed rock to be honest unless it is a metal post
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
Just wondering if there would be any conceivable problem with having the concrete sitting up against the foundation - for example having some water potentially run down there and freeze - heaving the post away from the house.
Gotcha. I suppose you could potentially have some issues, depending on several factors I don't know.

1. It could provide an inlet for water, but it's likely that your house utilized weeping tile, and unless your leader empties into it, I doubt a 2' sized concretred hole is going to let enough water in to cause any issues. Also, I know concrete shrinks while curing, but there generally isn't a big enough crack between cured concrete and the ground to allow significant quantities of water in. If your concerned about it, I'd just leave the concrete 6" down, and cap the top with clay.

2. Depending on the depth of the hole, radius of the concrete, and weight of the gate, it could potentially create a lateral pressure point on your wall that it wasn't designed to resist. I think this would generally be negligible, especially if it's near the corner of the house, but could potentially cause some issues I suppose if it was a heavy enough gate.

3. For frost heaving, post generally get jacked in a vertical direction. Again, depending on a number of factors, depth, radius, headed basement, location, snow cover, etc., although unlikely, I suppose it's possible it gets jacked at an angle. The clay cap will help reduce subgrade water though and if you have a heated basement, that will reduce the frost depth. If you feel it's going to be an issue, increased depth will help, as will insulation (although I've never heard of someone insulating fence posts).

Can't really see you having any issues but as fishtank said, a wheel/support at the end of the gate will help eliminate potential sag.

Last edited by Trochu; 09-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:04 PM

Another angle would be to use a hammer-drill and to set some heavy galvanized angle brackets to connect the post to the foundation itself. A variety of fasteners would work but for maximum stoutness and total water imperviousness one could use a Sika epoxy to set threaded rod into the wall. I used just such an epoxy to set a whole pile of 5/8" grade 8 chunks of Hilti anchor rod into my foundation to support a 4" heavy angle iron that supports my 5"-6" thick stone fascia; being 48" high in spots that's a lot of weight.

Such drills can be rented at any tool rental shop if you don't have a buddy that would have one to borrow.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 AM
Gone Hunting

I have two post right up against my basement. Five years on, no issues.

My posts are not holding a gate and are not set in concrete so I can't speak to those issues. But I do have six gates on that fence, two people gates and four equipment gates, three 12 feet wide and one 16 foot gate and none of them on cemented posts, and no issues.

But my gate posts are braced and I have gauge wheels on the three of the big gates.

It's my idea for a dog run. one acre of fenced ground. Lots of room to run, yes?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-20-2019, 04:54 PM

I would wash the concrete wall and use PL supreme glue. I put in a post 12 years ago and it is still bullet proof. PL supreme and one hilti anchor.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's a galvanized steel post, so I'm happy to set it in concrete. Should stay stable for quite some time.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Not exactly sure what you think the problem will be? There are literally tens of thousands of fence posts right up against houses and garages.
Yup - every house in my neighborhood.

I have never heard of any issues, had many homes myself with fence posts against house with no issues.

I'd agree - this isn't a big concern.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Just wondering why you need to put the hinge-post on that side?
The usual practice is hang the gate on the other side and just screw a 2x4 to your house for the stopper and latch. This way when the wind does catch your unlatched gate and send it flying open, it doesn't smash into your house.
It also will be less of a hindrance on that side as it will swing past 90°.
If you don't want to attach to the house there is nothing wrong with setting a post in concrete beside the foundation.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Just wondering why you need to put the hinge-post on that side?
The usual practice is hang the gate on the other side and just screw a 2x4 to your house for the stopper and latch. This way when the wind does catch your unlatched gate and send it flying open, it doesn't smash into your house.
It also will be less of a hindrance on that side as it will swing past 90°.
If you don't want to attach to the house there is nothing wrong with setting a post in concrete beside the foundation.
This was my first thoughts as well. Hinge it from the other side.

BW