Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Large ranches down south

Does anyone know if the really large ranches in 304/310 generally give permission? Specifically looking at the A-7 ranch(John cross), glenbow ranching, pine lane ranches, bar s ranch, Cartwright ranch.... PM me if you don’t want to give it out. I know sometimes these bigger ranches are harder to gain permission. Obviously I’m going to head out and ask for myself regardless, Just looking for some insight on what to expect and if they even give permission.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 AM

Some do on their leased land, usually they have a sign up day and it’s usually in August and it’s usually during the week to make it more difficult for the average working joe
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Default permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Some do on their leased land, usually they have a sign up day and it’s usually in August and it’s usually during the week to make it more difficult for the average working joe
or maybe like the average working joe they may want to spend a weekend with their families without being bothered.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:16 PM

Don’t you know all land owners and lease holders are just selfish a** holes trying to keep city hunters off the land that they have there god given right too
Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 PM

I will chime in, I kind of fine this topic of intriguing. I used to hunt many of the ranches you mentioned above as well as others in the area. Great places, great land owners or lease holders. They used to be super helpful and the first ones there to help retrieve an animal with a quad or tractor. Things changed...You pull up to hunt a lease, another vehicle pulls up 50 yards behind you. Gates are left open. Carcasses left in the ditch in full view. Fences were cut and trucks running wild for personal gain. Some days felt like you were sitting on Juno Beach with the amount of gunfire.
These days many landowners are saying "no" to hunters. Can we blame them, probably not. It's a shame, but it's how things go. These days I head to deeper country on foot, or head into the back country with a few other like minded folk who want to get away from the chaos as well.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:04 AM

I would have to 100% agree with this post - as unfortunate as it is losing some absolutely fantastic hunting grounds, it definitely has changed from when we first started hunting there 15 years ago. Our group as well has been forced to find new areas in order to enjoy the hunt like we used to.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
I will chime in, I kind of fine this topic of intriguing. I used to hunt many of the ranches you mentioned above as well as others in the area. Great places, great land owners or lease holders. They used to be super helpful and the first ones there to help retrieve an animal with a quad or tractor. Things changed...You pull up to hunt a lease, another vehicle pulls up 50 yards behind you. Gates are left open. Carcasses left in the ditch in full view. Fences were cut and trucks running wild for personal gain. Some days felt like you were sitting on Juno Beach with the amount of gunfire.
These days many landowners are saying "no" to hunters. Can we blame them, probably not. It's a shame, but it's how things go. These days I head to deeper country on foot, or head into the back country with a few other like minded folk who want to get away from the chaos as well.
Honestly you cannot blame them, I’ve only been hunting private land a few years and I have witnessed stuff like that many times, it’s unfortunate but I guess it is what it is.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Anyone have any insight? I headed down there about a while ago but was unsuccessful as no one was home. For those of you who have been hunting the area for a long time, does anyone know if the Bar s ranch allows hunters. I believe they do guided hunts so I’m not sure if that’s a reason why they wouldn’t allow people? Anyways I’m going to head out again and knock on some more doors, but if anyone has any info it would be nice before heading out, so I can look elsewhere.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:46 PM

I know the BarS has done so in the past but have had to limit the numbers due to too many requests. They put a cap on the numbers to ensure those that get on and themselves still feel safe.