Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Another Great Morning Goose Hunt

Got the call yesterday from another forum member Backwoods Runner, informing me he had just secured permission on a goose shoot his brother found.

He kindly dropped a pin for me to go watch the fly in, as he was heading to his elk stand.

I went and watched the evening fly in, and landmarked the birds.

We rendezvoused at the field for 5:30 this morning.

26 Canada’s, 3 specks, and 3 ducks came to our bag.

The field was firm but a bit soft, which made sticking the willows into the ground very easy, and also allowed trucks to get into the field, with zero ruts being made.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-13-2019, 02:13 PM

Great job fellas!

Who is shooting the A5? Brings back fond memories of my father.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Great job fellas!

Who is shooting the A5? Brings back fond memories of my father.
That’s BWR’s brother.
It’s a real fancy single shot.... damned thing wouldn’t cycle worth a pinch, and I ended up letting him use my 11-87 after a while, I still managed to get birds, one shot at a time with the Auto 5.
As BWR told him put the damned thing in the safe and just call it experienced, and get something else(his brother is far from in the poor house)

There are no absolutes
Old 09-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
That’s BWR’s brother.
It’s a real fancy single shot.... damned thing wouldn’t cycle worth a pinch, and I ended up letting him use my 11-87 after a while, I still managed to get birds, one shot at a time with the Auto 5.
As BWR told him put the damned thing in the safe and just call it experienced, and get something else(his brother is far from in the poor house)
LOL. After my dad passed away three decades ago, the first goose shoot I ever went on was with his A5. Dang thing jammed like hell. It too was used as an expensive single shot. Along with his BAR, it went down the road. Since then, I only see guns as a tool and have no emotional attachment to any of them. Hopefully when I kick the bucket, I will not pass down any unreliable semi-autos to my son. At least I sold them to pay for legal fees on the first house I bought. Dad would have approved of that anyhow.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:41 PM

Good shoot! Haven't been looking down South yet but have permissions lined up in all the usual properties. Suspect it's just the local population flying around down here and nothing migrating yet. Still, the local population is significant in itself. Soon...……...just preoccupied with elk right now.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:59 PM

congrats on a good day
Old 09-14-2019, 07:21 AM

My father had one (auto5) given to him, same reason. The thing works like ****, like stated above a real nice single shot. He tore that thing apart and cleaned it put it back together and same thing. He even contacted different gun smiths across the country to find out why it wouldn’t work. One guy told him to find the heaviest load he could and try it in the gun and be damned if it didn’t work. The gun cycled. Might be worth a try. Nice shoot btw.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:42 AM

Great shoot boys!
Old 09-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Looks like an awesome shoot. My brother had an Auto 5 years ago. Same thing wouldn’t eject the empty hull. He talked to another guy back around home that had shot one for years and got a good tip from him. He said never shoot shells that have the low/short brass he told my brother to make sure he buys the high/long brass shells. My brother bought some high/long brass shells and never had another issue again. The guy told him it is something to do with the shell extractor with the low/short brass it doesn’t have enough for the extractor to grab onto to eject the empty hull.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Looks like an awesome shoot. My brother had an Auto 5 years ago. Same thing wouldn’t eject the empty hull. He talked to another guy back around home that had shot one for years and got a good tip from him. He said never shoot shells that have the low/short brass he told my brother to make sure he buys the high/long brass shells. My brother bought some high/long brass shells and never had another issue again. The guy told him it is something to do with the shell extractor with the low/short brass it doesn’t have enough for the extractor to grab onto to eject the empty hull.
Well that aint the issue, 3” Mag Hi Speed Steel was being run, which have hi brass.

And the whole low brass hi brass bunk is just that. The Auto 5 is recoil operated, and old school low brass shells were typically the light loads < 1200 FPS. And they wouldn’t cycle the action unless the configuration of the friction rings in the recoil system in the shotgun was altered. Hi brass used to mean higher velocity, but nowadays that isn’t necessarily the case. It has nothing to do with the extractor on the shotgun, have you ever seen the old Activ bulls?
This is an issue with not configuring the friction rings to manage steel shot, as that vintage shotgun was designed around lead shot shells.

Here’s a quick video I found for the gentleman in question.

https://youtu.be/z9EQ9zEHgx8

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-14-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Good to know. This was 15-20 years ago when steel shot was first being introduced. He had to buy the better more expensive shells which were definitely hopped up with more powder with a greater velocity. Which had higher brass. Remember the old upland load Sportster brand shells in the white and green box that old Auto 5 sure didn’t like those loads.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Awesome!! Congrats!
Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Well done, fellas. Thanks for sharing, love the pics!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-15-2019, 12:56 PM

awesome day for you fellas...glad you shared the picture of your success..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-17-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by let it fly View Post
My father had one (auto5) given to him, same reason. The thing works like ****, like stated above a real nice single shot. He tore that thing apart and cleaned it put it back together and same thing. He even contacted different gun smiths across the country to find out why it wouldn’t work. One guy told him to find the heaviest load he could and try it in the gun and be damned if it didn’t work. The gun cycled. Might be worth a try. Nice shoot btw.

Two things about old Auto 5s. May apply to the new ones as well, but I am not sure. The order of the friction rings on the magazine tube need to be matched to the load. My Dad was always adjusting his when he changed shells. It is also important that they are all there.

Second, there is a lever just the other side of the ejection port that converts the full auto Auto 5 to a single shot. It blocks the shell from leaving the magazine (magazine cutoff). I once was bird shooting with a "friend" who did not know that, and had it set to single shot!

Vic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Browning Auto 5 Field Service Manual.jpg (51.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by jednastka; 09-17-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Two things about old Auto 5s. May apply to the new ones as well, but I am not sure. The order of the washers on the magazine tube need to be matched to the load. My Dad was always adjusting his when he changed shells. Second, there is a lever just below the ejection port that converts the full auto Auto 5 to a single shot. It blocks the shell from leaving the magazine. I once was bird shooting with a "friend" who did not know that, and had it set to single shot!

Vic
The friction ring arrangement is in the YouTube video I linked above.

There are no absolutes