Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 AM

Yes please post a report August is pretty much prime time as I understand it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 06-20-2016, 10:38 AM

You know whaat next time I'm in Mexico I'll be trolling for everything I can find ho ho ho ho ho ho ho he he ha ha ho ho ho
Old 08-24-2016, 06:08 PM

So I got my 10 days in PVR again. Spent a couple with a buddy in Bucerias for some dental work which was excellent by the way. If you need that service in the most modern place at about 60% cheaper than here let me know. Anyway about the fishing. Well this year was more typical for rain, so some discolor to the water. Also the time I booked was around the full moon so some big tides for 4 days which put the fish down for a couple and made tough fishing for another 2 days. But I think I caught around 25 fish in parts of 7 days so not too bad. Got my personal best Rooster @ around 40 lbs and many small Jacks at 10-20 lbs and one 5 lb snapper which made an awesome lunch. The best morning turned into a blitz when I caught 8 in just over an hour and also one pelican. My arms were burning after that with 4 in a row at one point. Lots of chasers too and large snappers sniffing around. I have to pick up my socks and get some lures for them as they are just a bit slower fish than the jacks and roosters and so need a bit different approach. But several 30 plus pounders chased my lures and one took a swipe at one of the jacks I caught and left some serious teeth marks.
So the backup rod I posted about came in handy as I broke my fancy custom half way thru and it performed well in casting and fighting fish so it is worth checking out if your into this fishing. Packs up to 48" and can carry it on going down. It is telescopic and seemed a little gimicky but after a few days I had full trust in it.
So the weather is hot and humid, your dripping with sweat by 9:30 am and fully cooked by noon but all that is forgotten when you hook into a nice one. I will see if I can get some pictures to post.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 PM

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Don_Roque/library/
Old 08-25-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonald View Post
Awesome. Can you tell us what you used for gear/hooks?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 AM

http://www.gticecream.com/video-pictures/

The video entering roosterland is where I fish. And the video GT ice cream tackle tips shows my favorite lures. I just used the skinny and it was not as good as what my guide had which was a roberts ranger. He outfished me every day but one by 2 to 1, when the water flattened out then I outfished him 2-1. I noticed this year the water was rougher so his wider lure worked better in those conditions as the video describes. I will order both for next time. My guide would also wade into the water to cast where as I like to stay dry so he was getting another 10 yds on his casts and maximum distance was generally the rule. However his equipment is just trashed because of the salt water so there is always a trade off. I also had on a 5' needle fish for about 5 seconds, what a wild thing that is, it's like catching a big snake in the water. But they also have a long mouth full of sharp teeth that will cut up your leader so you need to constantly check your line and knots or you suffer many break offs. It is physically exhausting fishing and pain killers are required to make it thru the day. But I would head back in a heartbeat.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Anyone pack their own gear down? Any info on it?

Thinking of trying to find a 4 piece rod and spinning reel.

What did you use for bait or hooks?
I have taken a fly rod for flats fishing but just a 4 piece travel rod and a good quality sealed drag spinning reel for stuff off shore or docks. Worked OK, caught a couple of something (god knows what they were, released them). A lot of people advocate a jig with shrimp or fish you steal from the buffet!

Caught more fish on a guided days fly fishing on the flats at Ascension, but that's a different beast.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Default another rod choice

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-ar...-surf-rod.html

I see another choice is out there for the spin cast travel rod. Seems to be a good price with Daiwa being a good brand. I like the 5 pce for storage and transport, keeps out out of harms way until you need it. If I am fishing daily daily then I just break it down in 2 parts with the line still thru it or else lay it on top of the upper cabinets in the beach house. The main trick with a 5 pce is to check your sections for tightness every 20 min so you don't cast one off.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:18 AM

Have you had success fishing from shore in the months of Jan and/or Feb? Have you fished the Guayabitos area north of Bucerias?
Old 11-06-2016, 12:08 PM

I have only fished south of PV in Aug and once first of Nov. But as far as my research goes anywhere on the coast from Acapulco to Los Cabos will be good. I just saw a fish/temperature chart which shows which fish are active at which temperature. I'll see if I can post it. But basically the June-Sept window is by far the best time with water temps in the 30's. Jan/Feb water temps can be as low as 18. But then the Mackerel are out which not as exciting as roosters or jacks but are great table fair. This year I noticed many locals are now set up for surf fishing. If you do not have good spanish then make a local surf fishing friend who can enquire where the fish are. Even where I go in August, there are hot/cold spots within a mile that make all the difference. And these change from year to year and day to day. As others have said bring some give away gear for the locals and you will have friends for life.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 AM

Off to PVR for a week, hope the hurrricanes stay away and the big fish are biting. Will post a report on my return.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Good luck, post pics
Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 PM

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65692/...aja-travel-rod
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65454/...spinning-reels

This is what I picked up for my trip to the baja last year and I really liked it. Combined it with one of Cabelas own surf reels and it was well balanced. A good case and fits well into the overhead of any plane. I packed it with braided line and could really toss out the hardware. Got some bites but nothing brought in, this was over Christmas and the waves were a bit high with wind. People were saying it was slow from shore. But maybe me, certainly not this rod/reel combo.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Since there is snow on the ground it's time to think south for fishing. Just came across another option for a mid range travel rod. These have a good recommendation and would work well for a boat rod for bigger fish.

https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au...er-series.html
Old 10-04-2018, 02:15 PM

the fishin hole has nice 4 piece rods with travel cases. I just picked one up for my dad for his bday for the same purpose but in PV.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 PM

im heading to mexico Peurto Vallarta This monday!!!....i bought lots of rapalas and live target swimbait....and rline lasser minnows.
bringing the 11 and a half foot baja travel rod. 30 lb braid and a saltstriker big reel.

am i set? any sugestions on other lures would be great!! i lile to go to cabelas...

im super pumped....so can i take the rod back with me? im flying westjet.

tnx

happy
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Heavy silver metal spoons/lures. blue and silver jigging minnows. You need too get out there with long casts . There is a Fly shop in the south off Macleod in Avenida that sells really good salt water poppers . Just south off Anderson RD
Also if fishing is slow don't give up . there are many fish in 2 feet of water . just drag a Lindi rig with a piece of raw shrimp on the bottom and you will catch all kinds of them . You might have to bribe the cook at the grill to slip you some raw shrimp in a cup full off ice . It has to be raw .
Have fun and time lines
Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 PM

When coming back you will have to check your rod with your luggage . Mexico is very strict about that one . Going south no problem
Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 PM

ok..
well that i guess i have to live with!!

tnx

happy
Old 10-05-2018, 10:21 PM

and thanks.....ill look for that store
Old 09-15-2019, 12:07 PM

Putting this up for sale.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=369193
Old 12-24-2019, 08:03 PM

Got a handful of Cabo killers and Roberts rangers. Headed back down for 10 days in January.