Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Default RH semi auto, LH shooter

Hi guys

I'm a left handed shooter, and I am looking at buying a semi auto shotgun. Problem is that all of the used guns I've been looking at are right handed. (and I'm too cheap to go new lol) .I've shot right handed guns my whole life, and prefer them to LH models, since that is what I learned on as a kid. I've never shot semi auto however

My question is, are there any leftys out there shooting RH semi autos? If so, how are they working for you? Any powder blast or shell ejection issues?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Im the same boat as you, Ive been shooting RH semi auto's left handed for a few years. I havent had many issues. Once in awhile if the wind is in your face you might get some powder blowback but that would likely happen if you were right handed as well. One thing to watch though is if the crossbolt safety is behind the trigger, make sure you can reverse it otherwise you'll end up bumping the safety on every shot. Im shooting the winchester SX3 and love it.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Did it for years. Tired of unburnt powder in my eyes. Even though I was used to it loading was still awkward. Got an LH SBE3 and will never go back.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 PM

I’m a left hand shooter, and run a Remington 11-87 for a shotgun, there is no problems what so ever. Just buy an aftermarket left hand safety.

I also shoot a Ruger 10/22, M1 Garand, SKS, and DPMS AR 15, with no ill effects.
Have also shot Remington 740/742’s, Browning Auto 5’s, M1 carbne, M305/M14, Camp carbines and Cooey 64’s with no ill effects.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Awesome. Appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks. I'm hoping to be into a semi auto before the season is done. Happy hunting !

Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 PM

I don’t know if they still make them but I have a Lefthand Rem 11-87. Works great.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 PM

Every semi anything i've ever shot has been a rightie. And never had an issue even once
Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 PM

I shoot a rh sx3 with a left hand safety. Works great
Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I’m a left hand shooter, and run a Remington 11-87 for a shotgun, there is no problems what so ever. Just buy an aftermarket left hand safety.

I also shoot a Ruger 10/22, M1 Garand, SKS, and DPMS AR 15, with no ill effects.
Have also shot Remington 740/742’s, Browning Auto 5’s, M1 carbne, M305/M14, Camp carbines and Cooey 64’s with no ill effects.
Ditto on this, I shoot LH with a right hand 11-87 also- no issues. I had a gorgeous Beretta Urika 2 that burned my eyes on nearly every shot, unfortunately, so it had to go.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:31 PM

I shoot LH, I only shoot semi autos that are left hand eject. The issues of empties shucking past your face, powder and gas if the wind is wrong are all minor annoyances that I prefer not to put up with. My big issue is, if the action lets go due to ammo failure or gun failure that is going to be a REALLY poor outcome with a RH semi, or bolt action for that matter. It happens very rarely but on top of being much nicer to shoot, left built guns are far safer, as well as easier to load. Guys have been shooting RH guns left handed for a couple of centuries so it is workable, just far from ideal. I am willing to spend the money not to have to do that.

There are lots of LH semi shotguns available, Benelli, Franchi, a number of Turkish made shotguns, Remington, and in rifles there is Browning BAR and a few others if you hunt around.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 PM

LH and have shot RH semi’s in the past but switch to O/U. Personally find the shells ejected past my face a nuisance when wing shooting.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 PM

My wife and daughters bought me a Browning BPS for that reason. Pump is both right and left hand safe with bottom load and eject with stock thumb safety as well.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlounderPounder View Post
Hi guys

I'm a left handed shooter, and I am looking at buying a semi auto shotgun. Problem is that all of the used guns I've been looking at are right handed. (and I'm too cheap to go new lol) .I've shot right handed guns my whole life, and prefer them to LH models, since that is what I learned on as a kid. I've never shot semi auto however

My question is, are there any leftys out there shooting RH semi autos? If so, how are they working for you? Any powder blast or shell ejection issues?

Thanks

Never had an issue....many runs through many semi, full, autos.....only had problems when I joined the army...dam gas mask can made me shoot right handed....odd balls

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-14-2019, 06:46 AM

3 left handed shooters, running right hand semi’s in yesterday’s goose shoot, no lost eyes, burnt faces or close calls..... unless you count that one big Canada that just about fell onto the blind.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
3 left handed shooters, running right hand semi’s in yesterday’s goose shoot, no lost eyes, burnt faces or close calls..... unless you count that one big Canada that just about fell onto the blind.
I don’t think I have ever seen that many LH shooters in a duck/goose blind at once. I have always been the only one with the groups I have hunted with. Is there a special LH hunter club in these parts I don’t know about lol

But I do agree there is not safety issue with shooting RH semi or pumps LH. It merely a personal comfort thing
Old 09-15-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I don’t think I have ever seen that many LH shooters in a duck/goose blind at once. I have always been the only one with the groups I have hunted with. Is there a special LH hunter club in these parts I don’t know about lol

But I do agree there is not safety issue with shooting RH semi or pumps LH. It merely a personal comfort thing
Just lucky I guess, or all the lefties gather once we self identify......(sounds almost political, LOL)

I take comfort in that with the right hand action I can assess, and react to any sort of stoppage far easier than with a left hand action.

There are no absolutes