Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Default Beaver Controll

Have a opportunity to do some beaver control due to flooding some land , those of you that have done it what is a fair price to charge to cover fuel costs ,ones time , work involved etc. Was thinking $50.00 a beaver .
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 AM
AO Sponsor

An hourly rate plus mileage at minimum. Don't do it for nothing. Especially when some dummy goes in before you and kills half and educates the other half supremely, or you have to diddle around because the area is frequented by stupid people that complicate your life.

I think the commercial outfits are running at least $200-$250 per day to operate, plus mileage, plus carcass disposal as a basic rate. But dont quote me as fact, ask billy.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Beaver control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
An hourly rate plus mileage at minimum. Don't do it for nothing. Especially when some dummy goes in before you and kills half and educates the other half supremely, or you have to diddle around because the area is frequented by stupid people that complicate your life.

I think the commercial outfits are running at least $200-$250 per day to operate, plus mileage, plus carcass disposal as a basic rate. But dont quote me as fact, ask billy.
Why is there such a need to belittle people on this forum?
Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Carcass disposal fee? Is that when you sell it for Bear bait?
Old 08-10-2019, 03:31 PM

If you are doing it for the money I would charge a flat rate for mileage and then $40 or $50 per beaver sounds fair. You can make the extra money with the castors and the carcass. Depending how many beavers there are you will probably get multiple catches each time you go. And odds are the landowner will experience beaver problems again in the future. Set up with the landowner to do the beaver management on an annual basis. No need to be greedy if trapping is your passion.

You are pretty resourcefully crafty so home tanned summer prime pelts could be used for trim or linings. Hair off raw hide might make a nice drum skin.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-10-2019, 04:30 PM

Default ADC work

Folks who expect me to jump at the chance to sweat and swat mosquitos "for the fun of it" are always disappointed. Make it worth your while.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I didn't see anyone getting belittled. I have to agree with Marty, he nailed it. So did Redhorse Ranch.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-10-2019, 07:13 PM

I did some for free. Didn’t regret it until I was slugging out two beavers at time in backpack wondering what hell am I doing.

I watched a 40 pounder swim into a 330 5 mins after I set it, couple rolls and done.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:14 AM
Banned

$50 per beaver and no setup fee. Good money if you get a honey hole.
A local ADC fella charges a setup fee plus $75 per beaver.
Landowners aren’t usually willing to pay a ton of money to trap beavers. At $50 per it can lead to other opportunities as word gets around.
Have fun.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
$50 per beaver and no setup fee. Good money if you get a honey hole.
A local ADC fella charges a setup fee plus $75 per beaver.
Landowners aren’t usually willing to pay a ton of money to trap beavers. At $50 per it can lead to other opportunities as word gets around.
Have fun.
I charge a $50 service charge(Initial accessment) $50 per beaver and 0.40 per km for my out of season control work.If I can aquire permission to come back and trap say yote's in season i'll do beaver job for free provided that i'm only one there trapping.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Default Beaver Controll

Thanks to all for your information , much appreciated . I trap yotes on one farmers place & he asked me if I could help with a beaver problem this spring , I was reluctant due to a hurt right shoulder but got through it . He was elated to say the least when I took out the beaver . I didn't talk money but he met me on site one mourning & handed me a envelope . Was a good surprise . Sayed everyone needs something for there time & work . Of course word is out & I didn't really know what a fair price was to charge . Thanks Again .
Old 08-11-2019, 10:15 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
No belittling. Just factual, defining people that threaten us with physical harm, smash or steal or vandalize or maliciously tamper with our traps and or equipment, cause unnessessary confrontations and or conflict without just cause or reason.

What would you call the folks that were bothering the registered trapper last late season in the Kananaski? Respectable? Not!

I am a black and white personality type.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I did some for free. Didn’t regret it until I was slugging out two beavers at time in backpack wondering what hell am I doing.

I watched a 40 pounder swim into a 330 5 mins after I set it, couple rolls and done.
This is what trapping beavers is all about isn't it? I do this for 100's of beavers every spring and fall!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Carcass disposal fee? Is that when you sell it for Bear bait?
I dunno, it's supposed to be fine eating. Maybe th y take em home and eat them?

Trapper Walter from deep in the Manitoba wildness sez they are extremely good eating, and contain superb amounts of energy. Eat beaver and you won't get hungry all day and can work hard.

However, when he went into the bidding room to pass it out to the buyers, it didn't go well for him and next thing he knew he was given a detention in his old age and forced to learn how to play video games on a computer while under Tanis' close eye until the big airplane flew him back to the bush!!!

Last edited by Marty S; 08-12-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Trapper Walter from deep in the Manitoba wildness sez they are extremely good eating, and contain superb amounts of energy. Eat beaver and you won't get hungry all day and can work hard.

However, when he went into the bidding room to pass it out to the buyers, it didn't go well for him and next thing he knew he was given a detention in his old age and forced to learn how to play video games on a computer while under Tanis' close eye until the big airplane flew him back to the bush!!!

It’s great eating. I can’t figure out why you need to charge a carcass disposal fee. Either sell the carcass or toss it in the bush or skin it on the landowners place and leave it where it lies.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Beaver is tasty but can have a laxative effect. Some James Bay Cree fellows were here for an trapping instructor course 20 years ago and they roasted a beaver quite high over the fire. It was scrumptious. They had a wire in the nose and a wire in the tail end. They would hang it over the fire by one end for an hour and then flip it end for end and roast it for another hour and then flip in again. Hanging over the fire the carcass would sort of slow speed spin while roasting. About 3 or 4 hours later we feasted.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM

This time of year when the hides are worth nothing why would you even bother packing them out of the bush.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
This time of year when the hides are worth nothing why would you even bother packing them out of the bush.

Respect for the animal. And to utilize the carcass & castors and maybe even the tail leather and skulls. Just because a beaver might be deemed a nuisance does not mean it should not be used to the fullest.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Respect for the animal. And to utilize the carcass & castors and maybe even the tail leather and skulls. Just because a beaver might be deemed a nuisance does not mean it should not be used to the fullest.
True but all those bits and pieces will fit in a daypack and the rest can go back to nature. There’s still no reason to charge for “carcass disposal.” That ps like the
Dealership charging for “shop supplies.”
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Beaver is tasty but can have a laxative effect. Some James Bay Cree fellows were here for an trapping instructor course 20 years ago and they roasted a beaver quite high over the fire. It was scrumptious. They had a wire in the nose and a wire in the tail end. They would hang it over the fire by one end for an hour and then flip it end for end and roast it for another hour and then flip in again. Hanging over the fire the carcass would sort of slow speed spin while roasting. About 3 or 4 hours later we feasted.
Sounds like you gonna git the fever from eatin them.

Makes perfect sense, right?