Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Default Cleaning up after others

So I know this has been brought up before but I figure if its brought up enough some might see the threads and maybe have a change of heart. I know a lot of us like to shoot and be outdoors and there are those of us who pack out what we packed in. Some dont have the same ideas and leave it to others because in this day and age if breathing weren't a vital point of staying alive , some wouldn't be bother enough to do it . But I digress.

It's a Saturday evening and I'm cleaning one of my favorite places to be. Because if its not kept clean then eventually I'm sure it would get taken away from those who use it responsibly . Not doing it for any other reason than the fact we owe it to future outdoors enthusiasts to keep it clean for many others to enjoy.

Also if anyone wants a variety of semi shot scrap metal I know of a fair pile of it north of Edmonton
Old 09-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. awesome View Post
So I know this has been brought up before but I figure if its brought up enough some might see the threads and maybe have a change of heart. I know a lot of us like to shoot and be outdoors and there are those of us who pack out what we packed in. Some dont have the same ideas and leave it to others because in this day and age if breathing weren't a vital point of staying alive , some wouldn't be bother enough to do it . But I digress.

It's a Saturday evening and I'm cleaning one of my favorite places to be. Because if its not kept clean then eventually I'm sure it would get taken away from those who use it responsibly . Not doing it for any other reason than the fact we owe it to future outdoors enthusiasts to keep it clean for many others to enjoy.

Also if anyone wants a variety of semi shot scrap metal I know of a fair pile of it north of Edmonton
Yep too many people don’t take responsibility for themselves thinking someone else will do it. My local range has signs all over the place yet people still leave trash and targets up. I end up bringing more trash home then what I made at the range because like you mentioned, a handful of bad behavior will get it taken away from all of us!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:33 PM

It’s really quite insane. I agree with everything you have said and have said the same things before. So far, Ghost PLUZ has been the biggest mess for me. I filled up a construction garbage bag in 5 minutes. That weekend I also saw a full table and chair left behind, and a full shelter in the fire pit still smouldering.

I personally saw the group who left the shelter in the fire. Large group of young men, clearly city guys. All in cars, one ratty truck camper. Partying all weekend which I am totally onboard with. They had no machines, were not fishing, shooting or doing any outdoor activity. Sucks that the garbage will likely be attributed to outdoorsmen, when I really think the biggest offenders are a small portion of casual users. I have no doubt that at this rate we will not be camping on any crown land in my lifetime, at least with vehicle access.

I have considered photographing license plates etc after seeing that campsite. Not sure how much the authorities could do anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 02:51 PM

I’m always picking up other people’s trash. When I have hunted release sites I’d come out with pockets full of spent shotgun shells.

When creek fishing I carry a Safeway bag or two and usually come out with at least one full bag. It’s amazing what people leave behind. The stuff I gather is 97 percent plastic! Bottles bait bags plastic worm containers plastic leader packages.

Then they’re the smokers who toss their buts on the ice while out ice fishing. It’s just not necessary.

The amount of plastic in our waters is ridiculous!

BW
Old 09-09-2018, 04:49 PM

It’s happening everywhere. Just yesterday, I took my kids to check out a newly opened park in Leduc. Garbage everywhere, and within 5 minutes of getting there we heard 3 ladies complaining about the amount of garbage throughout the park and not one of them took the initiative to pick any of it up. It took me and my two boys less than 2 minutes to clean it all up and dispose of it across the street in the construction bins across the street.

When we camp on the FTR, my 4 kids each get a Plastic grocery bag and are directed to pick up as much garbage as they can while the wife and I set up camp. We make a game of it and they earn a candy for 5 pieces of garbage they pick up.