Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 11:28 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile Premium diesel or regular diesel? Any real difference?

So I’m new to the diesel world lol I have a 5.9 Diesel in a 2001 2500 truck. Has anyone noticed any real difference between regular and premium diesel to make the extra expense for premium worth it? I use an additive with the regular diesel but some people have told me they get an extra 300 kms per tank using premium diesel. Anyone find that they get extra mileage etc with the premium?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:29 PM

No benifit . Placebo
Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 AM

I have never seen it for sale huh....

Wouldn't buy it and don't use additives either.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I have never seen it for sale huh....

Wouldn't buy it and don't use additives either.
Shell product
Old 09-06-2018, 06:16 AM

I've bought the shell regular and it goes through my truck pretty fast compared to husky or esso. I haven't tried the shell premium. Shell is the only one that I've seen with a regular and premium for diesel.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 AM

If you're already using a good additive, I wouldn't bother.

I would worry more about getting old diesel than anything else. Make sure you always fill up in high volume locations. I'm betting the premium diesel doesn't rotate through the tanks nearly as much as the regular and that may cause some issues on it's own...
Old 09-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Premium diesel much like premium gas, only benefit is much more $$$ out of your pocket.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM

i have always wondered about the premium diesel at shell as well
thinking maybe it has less biodiesel like there premium gas has no ethanol
at my local shell station the premium diesel suddenly appeared at the pumps
they have not added any new above or below ground tanks makes me think they are metering and extra additive pack at the pump to regular diesel maybe
Old 09-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Premium diesel much like premium gas, only benefit is much more $$$ out of your pocket.
Depends. My car is tuned for 91 octane. I can tell you that the difference between Shell regular gas and Vpower (premium) is quite noticeable.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:49 AM

Tried it a few times back two years ago when diesel was dirt cheap, and I didn’t really notice any tangible benefits in terms of fuel economy or performance. Maybe it’s a longer term benefits thing (long injector/pump life) but not sure that’s easily quantifiable.

Probably snake oil.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Depends. My car is tuned for 91 octane. I can tell you that the difference between Shell regular gas and Vpower (premium) is quite noticeable.
Yep. Completely depends on the vehicle. My car very noticeably retards timing (amongst other things) when running on regular.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Default Yes, with VW golf

When driving through the Rockies with the little car heavily loaded I found the premium diesel gave me more jam to get up those hills.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Varying octane gasoline is quite a bit different than comparing diesel fuel with and without various additives.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Varying octane gasoline is quite a bit different than comparing diesel fuel with and without various additives.
Agreed. But there ARE benefits, just may not be noticeable to most people, and usually the effects take multiple tanks to see results.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:35 PM

If you do not drive a Corvette with high compression engine you do not need higher octane gas. Most high performance cars today with computer will adjust engine for lower octane gas. Lots of ethanol will give you high octane gas. ethanol itself is 130 octane.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM

An interesting video. Auto expert tv the truth about premium diesel . You tube!
Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Yes. One costs more.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If you do not drive a Corvette with high compression engine you do not need higher octane gas. Most high performance cars today with computer will adjust engine for lower octane gas. Lots of ethanol will give you high octane gas. ethanol itself is 130 octane.
Yes. You're correct except the computers adjust the timing which reduces the performance. So yes computers adjust, but the car is not performing the way it is supposed to. And yes most times it is not harmful to run regular when your manuf asks for premium, it just reduced performance.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Default High Test Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Yep. Completely depends on the vehicle. My car very noticeably retards timing (amongst other things) when running on regular.
I notice a big difference when I run premium in my quad as well. More power, smoother running, easier starting especially when cold.

My YJ with a 4 banger makes a big difference too running premium.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
So I’m new to the diesel world lol I have a 5.9 Diesel in a 2001 2500 truck. Has anyone noticed any real difference between regular and premium diesel to make the extra expense for premium worth it? I use an additive with the regular diesel but some people have told me they get an extra 300 kms per tank using premium diesel. Anyone find that they get extra mileage etc with the premium?
Complete BS unless he has another 100 ltr tank hidden away????? Don't matter what fuel I put in my 2001 Cummins, it stay's @ 16.3-16.5 pulling a 8000 lb 5th wheel.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I notice a big difference when I run premium in my quad as well. More power, smoother running, easier starting especially when cold.

Another benefit is no ethanol if you buy from the right retailers. Helps cut down on fuel breakdown. I also add a fuel stabilizer
Old 09-06-2018, 10:51 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
Complete BS unless he has another 100 ltr tank hidden away????? Don't matter what fuel I put in my 2001 Cummins, it stay's @ 16.3-16.5 pulling a 8000 lb 5th wheel.
300 extra kms seems a bit out there that’s for sure. I was just wondering what kind of mileage or power difference that anyone might have found by using the premium instead of regular diesel. I know one thing I like the mileage I’ve been getting with mine compared to the big block gas engines I’ve had in the past
Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post

Yep that’s why I only run premium non ethanol in all my snowmobiles dirt bike and arc. I don’t even mess with pump gas for the 2 stroke stuff any more. I jumped on the oremmiced VP race gas train! It does make a difference.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:46 PM

I must be living in the dark ages... I didnt even realize there were two grades of diesel!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcshadow View Post
I must be living in the dark ages... I didnt even realize there were two grades of diesel!
I suspect there is not . Just some attempt at clever marketing.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcshadow View Post
Well, for ages there has been #1 diesel and #2 diesel, but that more of a winter/summer thing (where #1 flows easier in colder weather but fuel mileage is worse than #2). But Premium? I don't know what the advantages would be and probably wouldn't bother with it. 300 extra km per tank sounds like it would have to be an ocean freighter tank.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheel View Post
Well, for ages there has been #1 diesel and #2 diesel, but that more of a winter/summer thing (where #1 flows easier in colder weather but fuel mileage is worse than #2). But Premium? I don't know what the advantages would be and probably wouldn't bother with it. 300 extra km per tank sounds like it would have to be an ocean freighter tank.
yup.
the winter/summer fuel thing is done " behind the scene " if you will , and the gas stations fill their tanks accordingly so for most people its not an option . you get winter fuel from fall to spring and summer fuel in the summer .

with gasoline "premium " and "regular" indicate the octane rating of the product . as near as i can tell , the word " premium" on a diesel pump refers to the additives added to the product . i would be very , very surprised if someone could get 300 km farther on a tank full of premium diesel in a private vehicle .

no shell stations here so this is one "first world" problem i dont have to worry about .