Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 07:08 PM

Default Planning a fishing trip around AB/BC info

Hey guys,

Looking into fishing in BC looks like it's a no-go for non-residents... correct me if I'm wrong there, but I don't think they're even allowing day-use fishing at lakes, with, what I assume to be hefty fines if caught fishing streams as a non-resident.

That being said, that kind of kaiboshed my fishing trip planned this year. Are there any areas that you guys would recommend for fishing/camping/hiking?

I normally fish Sturgeon/Pembina/North Sask/Wabamun, but I've only caught 2-3lb walleyes and saugers, zero jacks.. river is flowing pretty quick this year.

We're looking to get some bigger guys, I have a river boat and a lake boat. Game plan is to spend 2-3 nights at a campsite and fish/hike, etc, and then move on to the next... for two to three weeks.

Last year we went to Touchwood and it was a pretty decent time, lots of catches but they didn't look very healthy (smaller jacks).

We're from Edmonton, but willing to travel South or North as far as we have to go to catch some decent fish!

Thanks all
Old 06-04-2020, 07:30 PM
AO Sponsor

Hey! Provincial parks are closed to non B.C. residents but any other camping facility or lakes there is no closure. So you should be good to go. No restrictions on travel either just recommendations which will be lifted in about 1 week in BC anyway ... and again only recommendations.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Hey! Provincial parks are closed to non B.C. residents but any other camping facility or lakes there is no closure. So you should be good to go. No restrictions on travel either just recommendations which will be lifted in about 1 week in BC anyway ... and again only recommendations.
Currently camping is closed to out of province residents. Day use is not. Not saying you’ll get a warm welcome though if visiting for the day.

May change in a few weeks though.

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/
Old 06-04-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Good to know... maybe we will head that way then.

Probably spend a day in Jasper and kayak Maligne, and then head to the Chilliwack area.. but if doing that I don't think it would be worth hauling my boat all the way over there.

If you have any recommendations for some accessible places to shore/bank fish, that would be great. I'd be open to going closer to Vancouver Island, if you have suggestions! Using a cast rod, not fly fishing.

Thanks for your time!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Currently camping is closed to out of province residents. Day use is not. Not saying you’ll get a warm welcome though if visiting for the day.

May change in a few weeks though.

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/
Re read what I said. Provincial parks are closed to bc residents only all summer (link you shared is literally bc parks site). Any private campgrounds can have anyone. Rv parks etc can have anyone. So no camping is not closed to Albertans in BC

Old 06-04-2020, 08:54 PM

I understood that new *reservations* for BC Provincial Parks are restricted to BC residents only. They will honour existing reservations with non-residents. I also understood that non-residents can use day-use facilities.

I assume that if non-reserved sites are available, non-residents can camp as well, but their notices I've seen, don't spell that out.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Re read what I said. Provincial parks are closed to bc residents only all summer (link you shared is literally bc parks site). Any private campgrounds can have anyone. Rv parks etc can have anyone. So no camping is not closed to Albertans in BC
There is a difference between camping and day use... if you are lodging out of park you can still use trails, day use, etc of the park.

Some provincial parks like Roche & Tunkwa have private campgrounds right within the park that are currently taking bookings (from Albertans).

Last edited by Jadham; 06-04-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I understood that new *reservations* for BC Provincial Parks are restricted to BC residents only. They will honour existing reservations with non-residents. I also understood that non-residents can use day-use facilities.

I assume that if non-reserved sites are available, non-residents can camp as well, but their notices I've seen, don't spell that out.
You can look at the above link I posted from B.C. Parks. They state drop in camping is also limited to only BC residents.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:47 PM

As long as you consider camping essential you should be good to go...

Old 06-04-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
You can look at the above link I posted from B.C. Parks. They state drop in camping is also limited to only BC residents.
Thanks Jadham - I stand corrected !
Old 06-04-2020, 11:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
In BC parks only ! so most campsites are open to anyone as most are not in parks. Just totally misleading what you are saying is my issue

Old 06-05-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
In BC parks only ! so most campsites are open to anyone as most are not in parks. Just totally misleading what you are saying is my issue
Shh dont tell anyone! Leaves more for us Albertans who are brave and not willing to listen to "recommendations"
Old 06-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Go, just stay in private campgrounds/RV parks. We already have, and will be again in a few weeks, then again in August. We are even taking an extra child from an underprivileged home with us, not from our home address.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:38 AM

Serengeti, you seem to be a voice of reason. I’m planning to head up to port hardy in a couple weeks with my boat. Have you heard of any issues with the ferries and non-essential travel?
Old 06-07-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalon View Post
Serengeti, you seem to be a voice of reason. I’m planning to head up to port hardy in a couple weeks with my boat. Have you heard of any issues with the ferries and non-essential travel?
Voice of reason is really common sense. Some seem to have none...

Did some research this morning for my upcoming trip as well. It is in the midst of opening up more. Ferries were 4 trips a day and pre-booking recommended. Then when I went to book all the times opened up. Just call them in case you want to be sure..or just pre-book it.

https://www.bcferries.com/bcftravelcentre

Take masks, hand sanitizer, cooler with road food and drinks would be smart. And if you are really worried about dirty washrooms, some TP means you could avoid some stops

Some restrictions on PPs which could also lift in time.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:43 AM

If you need a reservation/or pay camping, you are going to the wrong place to camp. Lots of "Albertans" around our area every week end and quite a few for week long trips too. Haven run into a bad one yet. Must be because we are all Canadians. Some of those "Albertans" are from Sask. and Manitoba too.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:27 PM

I was just on the BC and AB govt website and they are still recommending no inter-provincial non essential travel. We have a place on the north end of the island and we want to get out there to spend our summer but we are going to wait till they remove the non essential travel recommendation.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:16 AM

Go anywhere you want that isnt a provincial park, I would be wary of leaving me truck or trailer unattended for any length of time.