Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 11:31 PM

Default Head unit refurbishing

My wife’s Lexus gx460 had the head unit crap out. Does anyone know of any company’s that can refurbish the unit so it works again. I found a company in the states that does it, but would prefer a local option if there is one, to reduce down time. It controls stereo, nav, climate and all. So it’s not too pleasant that it’s not working. Can still do heat up and down and hit auto, so there is still some control over it. But needs repair, and the dealer price is absolutely bonkers. 2015 Lexus gx 460.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
My wife’s Lexus gx460 had the head unit crap out. Does anyone know of any company’s that can refurbish the unit so it works again. I found a company in the states that does it, but would prefer a local option if there is one, to reduce down time. It controls stereo, nav, climate and all. So it’s not too pleasant that it’s not working. Can still do heat up and down and hit auto, so there is still some control over it. But needs repair, and the dealer price is absolutely bonkers. 2015 Lexus gx 460.
Mean8ng instrument cluster ?
I just did 1 on our work van, found one used and replaced, mileage is different but don’t care everything works now.
Maybe looked for a wrecked gx460 on marketplace, kijjiji or try eBay.
I did a search who repairs this one and was a few listings on kijjiji. No storefronts close by though.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:42 AM

It’s the touchscreen that controls everything. Apparently it’s a big problem with lots of Lexus vehicles.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
It’s the touchscreen that controls everything. Apparently it’s a big problem with ALL vehicles.
Fixed it for ya

In a few years issues with fancy touch screens and instrument clusters is going to be big issue. Nowadays if a vehicle does not have a design/manufacturing defect you can go 200k + before anything mechanical shows up, but the day after warranty all those sensors, screens, touch pads, cameras are going to fail just like an old iPhone on Sept 10!

I had an Audi with all the gadgets on it and while waiting one day to pick it up for service I asked the Parts person how much the digital screen and sensors that enabled the "autopilot" driving.......guy looked it up and deadpan looked at me and said "you'd be better off trading the vehicle in!"

The trading in is key, have a friend with a Lexus SUV and some fancy controller in air suspension went, dealer wanted over $15k to replace but offered him a good trade in value for vehicle......a few days later it was on the lot, repaired and asking an insane price as it's a used Lexus......probably cost the dealer $1500 in parts to fix.

That's the new operating model for customer retention, if you have a F150 and the instrument cluster fails nobody will touch it second hand due to repair costs, but dealer will let you trade it in for a new one as they know it costs them pennies to actually repair and re-sell.

This guy searched everywhere for someone who could rebuild or replace with a aftermarket part and after a month gave up as he found everything was propriety to Toyota in terms of software so even if someone could build the pieces they didn't have the software. You may find the same thing with the instrument cluster.