Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM

Default got an interesting letter today (legal experts or hobbists have a look)

Got a letter from a "Alliance one ltd" saying i owe them almost $700 from a td canada trust account. Problem is i have never had any accounts with TD. The letter goes on to say this is a final notice before taking legal matters in which they will garnish my wages take possession of my truck and my house and freeze my bank accounts. I think the biggest red flag is at the bottom it says "due to the econimic conditions, no reasonable offer will be refused. What collection company or anyone else for that matter would say that? Anyone know of this company or gotten any similar letters. This company also does not have a website another red flag. I called them today and got a general mail box also a red flag
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 PM

If they say send the money western union to habibe muhammaraustaven then its probably totally legitimate.
Buy seriously. What ever info you have received, head to your local td branch and pass it on. They have money and resources to take whoever it is down.

I had something similar happen to me last year. I got a call from mastercard card services division asking to verify my card and security number. The caller id Florida and a Florida number. When i called back I just got voice mail for card services. Figured it a little strange.so called up mbna mastercard and asked of they had a branch in Florida. The girl, a little puzzled, said.yes we do. I asked if they would.be calling me for any reason from Florida. She then asked if i got a call asking to confirm my card number. I said.yes and she asked if i actually gave it, which I didn't. Apparently, they had received many calls from proper.who actually did give their number. I gave her the phone number and she thanked me.for it, most people had deleted the number before they got ripped off.

If it sounds fishy it probably is. Call td, pass on the info and let them sort it out. There may be a sucker born every day, but you don't need to be one of them lol
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 AM

You also owe me $19,342.67. To avoid litigation it is recommended to contact my local representative: me. Bring cash, and a hot chocolate with whipped cream and shaved chocolate and a touch of cinnamon.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 AM

I too am requesting funds on behalf of the Grand Chief of Security forces representing the Republic of Nigera in cooperation with the Royal British National Embassy. If you send $50 within the next 24 hours to the email address below your inheritance of $7mil will be immediately released to the bank of your choice.

www.itsaf*knscam.com

I look forward to your immediate action in order to avoid sever legal action.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 AM

If they do take your truck and garnish your wages, I'll help you out. I'm set to receive approx $10million dollars from a wealthy nigerian widow. Only cost me $10,000 to help her get the money out, then I get my $10 million. Just waiting for it to be finalized, then No worries!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 AM

If it was me, I'd just shred it. You never had a TD account, so you never had any money in it, so how could you possibly owe anything. They're just trying to freak you into action with the talk about garnishing and taking your home and vehicles.

Just call the cops, I wouldn't even waste money on a lawyer.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
What ever info you have received, head to your local td branch and pass it on. They have money and resources to take whoever it is down.
Good advice!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 AM

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/index-eng.htm
Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 AM

I have a hot sister from Nigeria...who happens to be single...who happens to be lovely...who happens to be very, very grateful to whomever helps liberate her to the West...and also helps liberate her vast fortune...held by a tyranical uncle. Now you may scoff but for a sushi lunch I can set you two up on the internet. Probably love at first sight.

Whatcha think?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Im down is a credit card ok?

X.x
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
If they do take your truck and garnish your wages, I'll help you out. I'm set to receive approx $10million dollars from a wealthy nigerian widow. Only cost me $10,000 to help her get the money out, then I get my $10 million. Just waiting for it to be finalized, then No worries!
Me too! What a weird coincidence. Anyways.........we are gonna be richhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

k
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Google is your friend

RD
Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM

It's a scam. Just like the multitude of others.

Recycle the paper.

Or, you could mail them something back..........like a picture of Johnny Cash giving them the finger

What is the address given? I will send them something
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Just take it to a TD if you are unsure about it. Seems like a scam if you never have had an account with them, but only they would be able to tell you for sure. Plus it might give them a heads up about it if it does turn out to be a scam and they could prevent someone from being scammed.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Don't forget about the money you own me, for that thing I sold you, on that day.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Alliance One LTD is a BIG collection agency, before you do something that may possibly affect your credit rating for 6 years, why not call them and find out what is up? There may be some chance that they were the finance company for a third party charge account, credit app you signed, etc.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Takes kens advice for some reason i think he might know what he is talking about LOL.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM

This one sounds fishy to me. The only thing I would worry about is what if you have had your identity stolen?? I would check it out with TD.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Alliance One is real..
I see them on credit bureau's from time to time myself.. I am not sure how you could not find a website for them.. i did a google search and the top 3 all had a website for them. Listen to Ken he does this for a living. You may have had a card or something at one time that was bought or backed by a TD Parent company even if it did not say TD when you signed it TD may have bought the smaller company later.. do not ignore it.. call them and find out what is going on.. trying to get things like a mortgage or a car later on will suck if this is somehow real.. call Alliance One direct they will know what is going on.. If you call head office you will know its not a scam.. but may be a mistaken identity that you want to get cleared up..

Alliance One
www.allianceoneinc.com
Head Office:
1220 Sheppard Avenue E., Suite 300
Toronto, ON M2K 2S5
Tel.: (416) 447-8899
Fax: 1( 877) 540-5113
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM

I'm with the guys here that say it's worth checking out...I was going to say contact TD to check it out, but with Ken saying that this Alliance place is legit, perhaps you're best to contact them? Just sayin'...you should double-check with someone.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 PM

The only credit I've applyed for in the last 10 years was my house my truck and a second truck 3 months ago. The one credit card I have was pre approved from scotia. I have no other debts or payments I had a small credit card with captial one a few years ago but it expired and I never re activated it. Its ballance was and always was at zero. I'm thinking scam because the phone numbers and address on the letter do not match the ones on the above link and the company logos don't match.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee83 View Post
I'm thinking scam because the phone numbers and address on the letter do not match the ones on the above link and the company logos don't match.
Hmmm...that's disturbing. Wonder how they got your name/address/vehicle info? Might want to check with TD to see what's going on (ID theft?), to make sure this doesn't come back to bite you.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 PM

Another thing to think of, and this one happens more all the time; identity theft, or if someone mistakenly put your name on a card during a legitimate credit check for another person with the same name, or the wife of the person, YOUR credit rating could be damaged for 6 years.

I strongly suggest looking into it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee83 View Post
"due to the econimic conditions, no reasonable offer will be refused.
"econimic" conditions are indeed bad lol
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 PM

It would be worthwhile to call Alliance then and forward them a copy of the letter.

Not entirely related but still it shows what length some would go to in order to getsome money out of people. Last year my wife grew tired of her dayhome service and decided to apply to a work from home position with "State Farm Insurance" advertised on monster.ca. With this new position my wife received a check from "State Farm" in order to purchase their recommended laptop computer and software. She deposited the check, it bounced and therefore our bank account was frozen. In the mean time "State Farm" called her to say that they overpaid her by a thousand dollars and if we could write them a check they will ensure the check received would clear (it supposedly had bounced because they realized the overpayment and put a hold on the check)

We then called StateFarm from the numbers found on the website and not the letter she was supplied. The first person we talked was ensure of our situation so she passed us onto to her superior. Needless to say after many phone calls from fairly high state farm officials and faxed copies of what we had received it turned out to be a scam. Thank goodness she had decided to follow up with it instead of sending the requested $1000.00 check.

The scammers used State Farms logo and did a good job to make everything appear to be legitimate. Do your homework on this one and ensure you are protected.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I'm with the guys here that say it's worth checking out...I was going to say contact TD to check it out, but with Ken saying that this Alliance place is legit, perhaps you're best to contact them? Just sayin'...you should double-check with someone.
just because company name is real, doesnt mean email or letter is. I recently got email from fake paypal company requesting me to verify my credit card info and paypal password due to recent fraudulent activity on my account always be suspicious. in this day and age credit companies would rather see you take the cautious route and contact directly through company website or yellow pages. one last thing, never click on a link in a suspicous email.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Very interesting.

In the past month I have recieved two notices saying I am being investigated for fruadulant practices my US company is involved in.

Both clamed to be from US federal agancies. IRS and FBI to be exact.

I have not been to the US in over thirty years, I own no companies and i have no shares in any US company.

I forwarded the emails to the RCMP fraud investigation division.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan4life View Post
just because company name is real, doesnt mean email or letter is. I recently got email from fake paypal company requesting me to verify my credit card info and paypal password due to recent fraudulent activity on my account always be suspicious. in this day and age credit companies would rather see you take the cautious route and contact directly through company website or yellow pages. one last thing, never click on a link in a suspicous email.
That is exactly my point.. The company is real but this may very likely be a scam using the real company name.. I always call the head office direct.. that way if it is real you can still get to the correct person.. if it is a scam using the company name they would love to hear about it and will probably do something about it.

Make it simple.. call head office and them them deal with it.. that way you CYA.. cover your *****
Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Identity theft?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergrizz700 View Post
That is exactly my point.. The company is real but this may very likely be a scam using the real company name.. I always call the head office direct.. that way if it is real you can still get to the correct person.. if it is a scam using the company name they would love to hear about it and will probably do something about it.

Make it simple.. call head office and them them deal with it.. that way you CYA.. cover your *****
amen to that silver