Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2021, 03:03 PM

We decided to brave the swell yesterday and go scratch the itch. It was one of the more interesting days on the water Iíve had and way to much happened so I wonít remember for a play by play. The cameras werenít out much so itís almost not worth talking about but I can probably scare up one pic off porter.

First up since the last trip I tried moving the transducer about a mm higher and that was a terrible idea. Iím still looking for the right position and itíll now be moving down until I get the picture I want at speed. By moving it up Iíve got nothing but noise on plane. At 6-7 knots if I kept the motor trimmed up we had a clear picture but it wasnít very good.
I also removed the hydrofoil off the outboard because I wanted to see how it ran without it. Best move ever. The boat handles swell so much better without it. The trim tabs are more responsive and we made better time into every direction of sea with a softer ride then anytime in the past. I also get more response when I stand on it with no ventilation and much more instantaneous throttle response.
I also snapped a spinning rod at the gas station when I climbed in the boat to put my lunch and snacks in the fridge. I was hoping thatís where the bad luck would end but it wasnít to be.

And back to fishing. The seas were big for a 21í boat. From the live buoy out there we had between 2.5-3m swell on a 10 second interval but very little wind chop. The boat ramp was empty which is never a good sign and we fished the entire day without seeing or hearing another fishing boat. We saw a pair of trawlers and a few cargo ships but we had the ocean to ourselves. The swell was big but manageable and it was more comfortable then the last few trips because of the interval and lack of wind chop.

We started on the 21 mile. Within a couple minutes the shotgun went off and a marlin started tail walking, I was clearing the first line and porter was dealing with the fish. I was also shooting my mouth off about how good the day was going to be considering we had only started and already had old stick nose on a hook. Then he dropped it.
The spread went back out and about half an hour later I picked up a Spaniard around the meter mark. We then had several more strikes of which some were unidentified and two more were marlin. Two of the marlin were on the hook and being fought when the line was cut by teeth on the mono above the double. The end of the line that came back both times was frayed like it had been flossed in a set of teeth and about all I can think is that the mackerel were hitting at the Aussie plait where my double starts but I honestly donít know. We lost all three of my favourite shotgun lures and had three skirted lures destroyed before deciding the Spaniards werenít worth dealing with and we had to go to deeper water to shake them off. So we set off for the hards where we had that big day a month ago. We ran up there at speed and dropped seven lines in the water and took off trolling again. We did a lap without any sign of life then found a current line so I tucked into it and shortly after we were getting hit by marlin again. Porter was on the rod and dropped four in a row. At that point he decided I should try and hook one so I proceeded to drop another three that we saw jumping and several more strikes that we didnít see the fish. We also dropped a wahoo up there and picked up a mack tuna.
About 15:30 we ripped back down to where we started and trolled a couple laps. All we got were two more Spaniards around the same size as the first and we put them in the kill tank before heading home.

All up we saw and lost a minimum of ten marlin and one wahoo plus another 8-10 strikes that we didnít see the fish and donít know what they were. We lost three lures, one complete topshot and I need to change six skirts on three other lures. The conversion ratio was the worst Iíve ever experienced. I reset the trip odometer when we left the ramp and we did 114nm so 211 km in 13.5 hours yesterday for three measly Spaniards.

The only good news is the fish are around and we are certainly raising them and getting strikes. Next week It calms down and I plan on taking the chance to redeem myself.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 02-19-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:47 AM

Well Rosie and I are going to stick into them tomorrow. Rods, reels, lures and lines are all repaired from the last gong show. Reel drags are adjusted and set, the transducer is moved down and I also put about 30 squid and maybe 40 gar in the brine bucket today so we are going to try trolling the squid whole to see how they work. I think theyíll be like candy for old stick nose but we will know tomorrow.
If I was a little smarter I would put in a little effort to catch some flying fish, wire their wings out and run them as skip baits but we are usually to focused on catching real fish to put in the effort to catch flying fish out on the grounds. One day Iíll get my priorities straight.

Hereís the pic of the Spaniard we took a pic of the other day. Between the three of them there wasnít a lbs difference between them, all school sized fish. Just a bunch of dirty lure thieves and almost as bad as barracuda.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:13 AM

Rosie and I hit the water about 4:30 with a temp of 28 degrees and a forecasted high around 33. Water temp was 27 deg and we made pretty good time out wide. Lures in the water on the 21 mile and within five minutes I picked up a Spaniard off the shotgun.

While I was reeling him in another hit the squid that was still in the water but we failed to hook up. About ten minutes later rosie got one too but dropped it just off the boat. We then had another 14 strikes without a hookup. About 8:30 we trolled east for deeper water then started to cut north toward the honey hole from last Friday.
About half way there we had a strike and Rosie hooked into a marlin that took FOREVER to bring to the boat. We were in a stalemate for ages and when we finally got him up we saw why. Foul hooked in the dorsal fin. Let me tell you, theyíre hard to control hooked in the back.

We worked that area for about an hour and had two more marlin on the line but somehow I dropped them all within 4 or 5 meters of the boat.

We picked up a little mahi and kept moving north. Eventually we found the spot but the current line was gone and it appeared to be a ghost town. We did two laps and didnít raise a fish so cut east and started hunting.
About a mile or two out we saw bird action so moved towards them. Then we saw dolphins. Lots and lots of dolphins, hundreds of them. Then we saw the first surface bait ball. It was a thing of glory. Birds, dolphin, tuna, mahi and sharks attacking the swirling ball of soon to be dead bait. We trolled past for the first look and a marlin jumped ahead of the boat.

Then we started getting strikes. A few were skipjack tuna but most were marlin. I went six in a row and lost them all at the boat before we could get a hand on them. Plenty of video footage of them jumping all over the ocean but I couldnít catch a break on the end game.

After dropping the sixth one I told Rosie to have a go. He looked recuperated from his dorsal hooked fiasco so he took the next three or four and lost them also. Either at the boat or mid fight. We couldnít win.
I donít know how many we raised or how many we hooked but I know we didnít land another one. I lost count at 24 and I suspect it was close to 40. There were about four hours where I was so busy dealing with fish, bait or lines I didnít have a chance to drink a beer or eat anything. Several times I would only get one or two lines in the water and we would have another hit. It was pandemonium until the tide change around 1500 when it shut down. We scratched around for another half hour after it turned off then trolled south across the 21 mile and just as we were going to pull in there was a boil on a skipping mullet and a reel screaming. No jumping so I didnít assume marlin. Lots of head shakes and powerful runs. I had it nearly to the boat twice when it would run again so I wasnít thinking Spaniard or wahoo because they donít usually make more then two runs and then the line went slack. Iím almost positive thatís the first fish Iíve dropped on a circle hook once it was set but drop it I did.

So we went from not being able to hook them to not being able to land em but we are raising fish and having some success anyway.

Rosie took almost all the video and hasnít been very forthcoming with it so those few pics are all Iíve got.

Today I was repairing leaders and noticed several of the hooks are bent so I replaced them all and hopefully that was some of the problem. Iím going to catch some gar tomorrow or Thursday and then be back into them Friday.

I also tried the skipjack tuna just so I could have an educated opinion. Bled, gutted and iced and I tried the shoulder for sashimi. Tasted ok (like a 6 out of 10) but the texture isnít good for sashimi. To stringy and tough. Prob just use em for bait in the future cause they make great bait.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:18 AM

We gave it another shot today and failed to find the bite. No birds, no dolphins, very little bait and precious few strikes. We picked up a 25-30lb Spaniard fairly early, no pics cause it wasnít my fish and he didnít care to have a picture taken but it looked a lot like the one in the post above this one.

At 8:30 my little man got the next strike which happened to be his first wahoo.

Then we went 0 for 6 on the billfish. Five marlin and a sailfish, failed to properly hook all of them and didnít land any of them.
We got two mahi around the 10lb range and then just as we were clearing the gear to run home the long rigger fired. I was standing next to it but thought it was the shotgun. I looked at Rosie and he indicated the rod beside me and when I looked down Nolan was already there and engaging the fish so he brought that one to the boat too which happened to be his second wahoo.

All told it was a bloody slow day of fishing with nice weather and good company. The sashimi wasnít to shabby either.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well when and if I get my sorry butt in your boat ya can take all the pics ya want

Awesome thread...keep'em coming.....you guys must be getting ready for winter?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...