Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 11:45 AM

Default accompanying a bow hunter: legal question

I'm planning to accompany a friend on a bow hunt for elk in a general tag unit in early September. He will be carrying a bow and doing any actual shooting if the opportunity arises. I don't bow hunt, never have, and don't own a bow. My question is, if I buy a general elk tag (which I will be doing this season regardless) and a bow hunting permit, will this allow me to fully participate in the hunt, eg. calling and other related things, even though I won't be carrying a bow? I can't think why this wouldn't be legal, but I'm curious about what people on here will have to say.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:52 AM

Absolutely legal
Old 08-07-2020, 12:13 PM
Banned

if sheep season is open and you're in the 400's you could have a rifle on board too with a sheep tag in your pocket, and now you're both hunting/helping each other, keep your eye's peeled a little higher up the slopes just in case, lots of elk hunts have turned sheep hunts,

i'd skip the buying a bow permit though, unless you're trying to have him shoot your elk too, which obviously is a bad idea and a no go, i also wouldn't put the elk tag in the pack until rifle season when you plan to actually hunt elk...just the sheep tags, stay honest

one bowhunter goes in and only one elk comes out...his

one sheephunter goes in and maybe 2 sheep come out...if he buys a tag too lol

sounds about as win win as you can get

play silly games though and you'll eventually win silly prizes, nothing wrong with going in with him as a pack mule, photographer, or educational experience or just as a friend

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-07-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:26 PM

You sound like a great friend.

Mine normally arrive an hour late, after day break or don't wake up at all...
Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 PM

duplicate post

Last edited by teberle; 08-07-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 08-07-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
if sheep season is open and you're in the 400's you could have a rifle on board too with a sheep tag in your pocket, and now you're both hunting/helping each other, keep your eye's peeled a little higher up the slopes just in case, lots of elk hunts have turned sheep hunts,

i'd skip the buying a bow permit though, unless you're trying to have him shoot your elk too, which obviously is a bad idea and a no go, i also wouldn't put the elk tag in the pack until rifle season when you plan to actually hunt elk...just the sheep tags, stay honest

one bowhunter goes in and only one elk comes out...his

one sheephunter goes in and maybe 2 sheep come out...if he buys a tag too lol

sounds about as win win as you can get

play silly games though and you'll eventually win silly prizes, nothing wrong with going in with him as a pack mule, photographer, or educational experience or just as a friend
Interesting idea on the sheep. Unfortunately that season won't be open yet when we're in there. But just to be clear: Are you suggesting it might be legally risky for me to go in with an elk tag, bow permit and no bow? And no, there's no plan for him to fill my tag as well. Certainly illegal, and in any case, I'll want it for the rifle season.

My other idea was to take a 22 along in case we find any grouse, but I'm assuming that would preclude me from doing any calling. I may put in a call to f&w to see what they say about all this.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:31 PM

This is sad that it is even a valid question.

Technically, F&W can find fault and contraventions to the Wildlife Act when helping call, spot wildlife for others when you don't have a licence for that species.

Typically, F&W doesn't pursue these matters.

I think every Resident wildlife certificate should give that person the authority to guide others under the same parameters as a hunter host licence.
This would get rid of the legal issues being questioned here.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-07-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I think every Resident wildlife certificate should give that person the authority to guide others under the same parameters as a hunter host licence.
This would get rid of the legal issues being questioned here.
Yes, exactly. At the very least, the ability to accompany another hunter in the pursuit of an animal, including calling.

I'm sure there would be limitations, such as how many non-licensed hunters could accompany the licensed hunter, whether they could carry a weapon, push bush etc.

This is important for families, especially when hunting with younger children. For me, when my children had their own licenses, I would let them rattle and call.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 AM

The advantage of sheep tag and rifle is extra protection for both Bow Hunter and you from grizz. Getting to be way to many in mountain and foothill country.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:04 AM

Smile

I think it is a great plan to help your friend. If you are calling and helping, then you are hunting elk, you need the elk tag and if it is bow season you need the bow permit. Then you are perfectly legal. No harm in practicing with your friends bow if he is ok with that and then you are ready is a 2nd opportunity presents itself. If not you are still legal.

The sheep tag is a nice thing to have if you see one, but if you are calling elk with a rifle in your hands during bow season you are hunting illegally. Something to watch out for.

I would say buy your elk tags and have fun helping your buddy and maybe try out his bow before the season starts.

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 08-08-2020, 10:29 AM

Elk tag and bow permit so you are legal to call, help, hunt. You can share your buddies bow for the elk. Get a bird license and pack your 12 gauge for birds. A few slugs in your pocket in case of bears is never a bad idea. Also, rifle Black Bear is open Sept 1 in most WMUs. Rifle season for Cougar opens Aug 25 in 420-446, Sept 1 in the rest.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-08-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:27 PM

check the Wildlife Act for the definition of "hunt"

That is what all "observers" to hunting in Alberta need to know
Old 08-08-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Elk tag and bow permit so you are legal to call, help, hunt. You can share your buddies bow for the elk. Get a bird license and pack your 12 gauge for birds. A few slugs in your pocket in case of bears is never a bad idea. Also, rifle Black Bear is open Sept 1 in most WMUs. Rifle season for Cougar opens Aug 25 in 420-446, Sept 1 in the rest.
Wouldn't carrying a shotgun under the circumstances would be just as problematic as a rifle, for the same reason?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:43 PM

You could just carry a camera and take pictures that's legal. No licence needed
Old 08-08-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Interesting idea on the sheep. Unfortunately that season won't be open yet when we're in there. But just to be clear: Are you suggesting it might be legally risky for me to go in with an elk tag, bow permit and no bow? And no, there's no plan for him to fill my tag as well. Certainly illegal, and in any case, I'll want it for the rifle season.

My other idea was to take a 22 along in case we find any grouse, but I'm assuming that would preclude me from doing any calling. I may put in a call to f&w to see what they say about all this.
Doesn't rifle black bear open the first of Sept?
Old 08-09-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
check the Wildlife Act for the definition of "hunt"

That is what all "observers" to hunting in Alberta need to know
I'll post the definition for those that don't know where to find it.

--------------------
https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/st...=2972#document

"(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,

(i) shoot at, harass or worry,

(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,

(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,

(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or

(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

(2) A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject animal

(a) for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if

(i) the person was not carrying a weapon, and

(ii) the purpose of the person’s activity was restricted to watching, photographing, drawing or painting a picture of the animal,"

------------------

According to the Alberta legal definition of "hunt", the OP can NOT search for or call the subject animal (elk) unless he is licenced to hunt that subject animal.

Unless a person is licenced to hunt specific subject animal, or licenced to guide, it is technically illegal to help a friend, son, daughter..... to hunt.

IMO, this is a ridiculous law.

I suppose there could be rare circumstances where this law might be rightfully advantageous for fair enforcement, but this is throwing all the babies out with the water....

One way to 'Licence" hunters to help friends, kids, etc, is to include a licence to guide (for No Consideration) with the purchase of a wildlife certificate.
This will ensure that those helping in a hunt, are legally authorized to hunt, having been certified through the licencing process.
There would have to be an exeption for underage persons... ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
You could just carry a camera and take pictures that's legal. No licence needed
Nope. You can NOT help another person hunt, even when unarmed and carrying a camera, (o) (v).

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."