Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Default Fishing stores other than Cabelas or Fishin Hole???

Hey guys. Now that WSS is a distant memory, are there any other good fishing stores other than Cabelas or Fishin Hole in Alberta/Sask/BC?

I wanna buy a Vexilar FLX28, but have no idea where to find one other than the two stores I mentioned.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hey guys. Now that WSS is a distant memory, are there any other good fishing stores other than Cabelas or Fishin Hole in Alberta/Sask/BC?

I wanna buy a Vexilar FLX28, but have no idea where to find one other than the two stores I mentioned.
http://tackleshack.ca/vexilar-flx-28-ultra-pack/
Old 11-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Tackle Shack and he will ship to you for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Old 11-29-2018, 03:04 PM

Fishin' Hole in Edmonton, Calgary and Saskatoon as well....there's also a small town place (I want to say it's in Sylvan Lake) that had a booth set up at the Red Deer Sportsman's Show last March, and they have a lot of really nice stock.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM

Pokey's Tackle in Regina is top notch too.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:51 PM

Canadian tire!!
Old 11-29-2018, 03:54 PM

Bass Pro in Calgary
Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM

Tackle shack is great ordered lots from there
Old 11-29-2018, 05:09 PM

The reel Doctor in Edmonton
Old 11-29-2018, 09:58 PM

The sad truth is Cabelas/Bass Pro dominate the market and set the prices for everything. Fishin Hole sticks around because of customer service and specialized products.

That said for the retail side, online gives you a few options, yet stick with the bigger ones and make sure they’re ‘Authorized dealers’, since your warranty will depend on it.

I think BPS sell Vexilar, and Fishin Hole. I’d go to the Fishin Hole personally, since sometimes I get suggestions and advice that changes my choice. That and if you have issues, you can call them and talk with someone who can help right away. Things like not having to ship gear on your own, as they will get it to a rep, or ship it with their shipments.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 PM

GPS Central in Calgary has some fishing electronics.

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/v...ck-up28pv.html
Old 11-30-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
Pokey's Tackle in Regina is top notch too.
That depends entirely on which guy you get when you walk in.

The one guy there (who's one of the owners) is such a jerk that I don't shop there anymore.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
The sad truth is Cabelas/Bass Pro dominate the market and set the prices for everything. Fishin Hole sticks around because of customer service and specialized products.

That said for the retail side, online gives you a few options, yet stick with the bigger ones and make sure they’re ‘Authorized dealers’, since your warranty will depend on it.

I think BPS sell Vexilar, and Fishin Hole. I’d go to the Fishin Hole personally, since sometimes I get suggestions and advice that changes my choice. That and if you have issues, you can call them and talk with someone who can help right away. Things like not having to ship gear on your own, as they will get it to a rep, or ship it with their shipments.
He specified that he was looking for places other than the Fishin' Hole (unsure why, I love that place!). Anyways, no reason that the Tackle Shack would be a bad choice: http://tackleshack.ca/vexilar-flx-28-ultra-pack/
Old 11-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
He specified that he was looking for places other than the Fishin' Hole (unsure why, I love that place!).
When you are looking at dropping a bunch of coin it's always good to check other areas for price comparison. As was said, BPS/Cabelas now pretty much sets the prices on things unchecked. TFH goes along with it. If you are looking for anything higher end the prices have shot up quite a bit with the lack of competition.

I order some items off of FishUSA and find that they have good service and prices. I wouldn't order something like a flasher from them though, just for warranty reasons. They are the only place I can find my 8 1/4" Strikemaster Chipper blades these days though.

I wish we had a little more competition and can't help but feel like WSS would be doing better if they had held on until after the purchase of Cabelas by BPS was announced. Timing is everything though I guess.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
When you are looking at dropping a bunch of coin it's always good to check other areas for price comparison. As was said, BPS/Cabelas now pretty much sets the prices on things unchecked. TFH goes along with it. If you are looking for anything higher end the prices have shot up quite a bit with the lack of competition.

I order some items off of FishUSA and find that they have good service and prices. I wouldn't order something like a flasher from them though, just for warranty reasons. They are the only place I can find my 8 1/4" Strikemaster Chipper blades these days though.

I wish we had a little more competition and can't help but feel like WSS would be doing better if they had held on until after the purchase of Cabelas by BPS was announced. Timing is everything though I guess.
It's hard to say. I worked a few hours a week at a store that was supposed to be one of the more successful locations, and man, was that place dead a lot of the time. I certainly do miss the store, it sucks having to travel to Calgary for small items.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:12 AM

yea whats with all these wack pricing now.

I remember buying my lx7 for $700 and my lx9 for 1050 at WSS back in the day

now i see it for $1050 and $1850. I understand inflation and our canadian dollar now vs before. BUT HOLY JESUS MURPHY

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post

now i see it for $1050 and $1850. I understand inflation and our canadian dollar now vs before. BUT HOLY JESUS MURPHY
Are you sure? The LX-7 was $1,000.00 at WSS two years ago. I believe the LX-9 was slightly less than $1,850, but it sure wasn't $1,050.00.

Heck, U.S. prices aren't even close to that!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:42 AM

No The lx7 was 700 and the lx9 was 1200 my mistake.

lx9.jpg

i had a discount on them but it was still cheap back in the day 700 I just kept seeing the price shoot up non stop.

so I paid 630 for the lx7 and 1080 for the lx9. The discount was only because I bought everything in the fishing department. So I had my own discount level, I miss WSS they treated me like gold. When I go to TFH i'm just a number so i only buy bait now.

if it was those prices I wouldnt have bought them.

Respect wildlife
Old 11-30-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
No The lx7 was 700 and the lx9 was 1200 my mistake.

Attachment 150897

i had a discount on them but it was still cheap back in the day 700 I just kept seeing the price shoot up non stop.

so I paid 630 for the lx7 and 1080 for the lx9. The discount was only because I bought everything in the fishing department. So I had my own discount level, I miss WSS they treated me like gold. When I go to TFH i'm just a number so i only buy bait now.

if it was those prices I wouldnt have bought them.
That's very interesting. What year was that?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM

quite a while ago i just checked the date, OCT. 20 of 2013.

Probably when our dollar was stronger

Respect wildlife
Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 PM

Exchange on CAD is the biggest factor in prices. 30% increase in price alone.

When we had good exchange rates, up to about 2 years ago or so, I bought a ton of fishing gear. Since the change, bought very little.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 11-30-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
quite a while ago i just checked the date, OCT. 20 of 2013.

Probably when our dollar was stronger
That explains it. Dollar was at $.98 that day.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:47 PM

Trever at the reel doctor.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:17 PM

https://fishingworld.ca/products/918...lx-28-propack-

Quite a lot cheaper than Tackle Shack. Pretty good selection. Don't know how it compares to Cabela's or Fishing Hole's "Sale" prices, which are usually pretty hard to beat.

If you are looking for jigs, hooks etc

https://www.facebook.com/trufishingtackle/
Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 PM

The funny part of that is I had just started as store manager of the local fishing shop when the dollar thing started. We charged a lot more all of a sudden for the new items which really ticked off customers, but also retagged all the other items that were brought in on the low dollar as well to the new pricing. I also bet if the dollar goes up you wont see prices come down either or very little. The fun/not so fun part of retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Exchange on CAD is the biggest factor in prices. 30% increase in price alone.

When we had good exchange rates, up to about 2 years ago or so, I bought a ton of fishing gear. Since the change, bought very little.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:

That's nothing, you should see what hunters are paying for a pair of designer camo pants, upwards of 400.00 dollars.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-30-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
He specified that he was looking for places other than the Fishin' Hole (unsure why, I love that place!). Anyways, no reason that the Tackle Shack would be a bad choice: http://tackleshack.ca/vexilar-flx-28-ultra-pack/
Just to see if I can get a better price as it's not on sale. I love The Fishin Hole and am grateful they are around, but on an expensive item, why not look for a sale.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
The funny part of that is I had just started as store manager of the local fishing shop when the dollar thing started. We charged a lot more all of a sudden for the new items which really ticked off customers, but also retagged all the other items that were brought in on the low dollar as well to the new pricing. I also bet if the dollar goes up you wont see prices come down either or very little. The fun/not so fun part of retail.
And thats why most of what I bought was south of the border. And even some from Ontario and Quebec.

I preferred buying from WSS, The Fishin hole, BP(Canada) and Cabelas(Canada) but if they were not playing well, money went south.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:15 PM

A 25% decrease in our dollar value and some changes in duty/tariffs are the biggest reason for price increases in recent years.

I support the Fishin' Hole, and am willing to pay them a bit more for some items. If they close the doors we will only have Cabelas and Canadian Tire... Selection on gear is already limited with the loss of WSS so gotta support the smaller guys to keep them in business and give us more options.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure? The LX-7 was $1,000.00 at WSS two years ago. I believe the LX-9 was slightly less than $1,850, but it sure wasn't $1,050.00.

Heck, U.S. prices aren't even close to that!
Lx7 was $875 reg price in 2015 when I bought mine at wholesale