Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 PM

Nice stuff Z. You need to start naming these creations. Like the orange n yellow the Zip-n-Fish. The brass one could be the Brazzipper. Brought to you by Zip-it-up Tackle Inc....

Mmm..maybe one too many Oilers beers...gotta go
Old 11-25-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings View Post
Thanks Z-z for the good informative post. I do my own wireworms and get my supplies from wallmart. Slightly cheaper than Michaels.
What kind of knot you tie in order to keep the hook horizontally.
Thanks in advance
Kings .... Tks for the feedback, what's important is a strong & simple quality knot that you can still adjust ther W/W to get it to sit horizontal. I use two types; the "Polomar Knot" and more frequently the "Double Loop Clinch Knot" better known as the "Trilene Knot" which I find are a bit easier when your re-tying a lot with cold fingers. Trust this helps ...

Old School basic knots for W/W's.

Z-z

Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice stuff Z. You need to start naming these creations. Like the orange n yellow the Zip-n-Fish. The brass one could be the Brazzipper. Brought to you by Zip-it-up Tackle Inc....

Mmm..maybe one too many Oilers beers...gotta go

Snap .... feel free to copy, no patent pending, their field tested and guaranteed to catch monster Whites and the occasional Sylvan Walleye.

Like the humor, it's obvious you got some marketing/sales skills, too bad about those Oilers ... damn Yotes.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the great info and pics to go with it.It is all presented so well and easy to understand.I wish all forum members were as helpfull as you.Best of luck to you this season and please dont hesitate to post all the info you can.Lol.And by the way do you have luck catching perch on the hooks as well?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 AM

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks Z for the knot info and details. Wish you a very good ice fishing season.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:28 AM

Good stuff Z, gonna try tying a few this year before the ice season starts. Have you tried fishing small wire worms as well? I was curious if a size 14 chironomid type worm would work for Sylvan whites
Old 11-26-2016, 11:53 AM

Tks for replies fellas ... I don't have a problem sharing info, pleased your getting something worth while from this thread.

Another W/W pattern for your consideration .... a few years ago in late March, I caught a few nice Whites in Gull on a red wire & red bead pattern similar to a Blood worm, I forgot about this pic that I got from a A/O member, I'm going to make a few similar to the pattern with the red bead in the middle of the hook shank, I believe these would be deadly.

Z-z

Old 11-26-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpreat View Post
Good stuff Z, gonna try tying a few this year before the ice season starts. Have you tried fishing small wire worms as well? I was curious if a size 14 chironomid type worm would work for Sylvan whites
Yes ... made a few miniatures in dark patterns after I noticed Mr. White was more intrested in the tiny barrel swivel I use between my braided line & the 4 lb fluorocarbon than my W/W.

Will post a further info & a few pics a bit later.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpreat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Yes ... made a few miniatures in dark patterns after I noticed Mr. White was more interested in the tiny barrel swivel I use between my braided line & the 4 lb fluorocarbon than my W/W.

Will post a further info & a few pics a bit later.

Further to the above, made a few new one’s this afternoon and found some No 14 miniatures, these are getting harder & harder to make when you’re wearing progressive lenses and still can’t see.

All we need now is some decent ice, otherwise the float tube comes out of storage.

Some pics …. enjoy.

Z-z

Tip: If your just getting started making your own, have a close look at this pic with the forceps & long needle nose pliers, I use the pliers to tighten the twist and if there’s gaps between the wraps to move them together & tighten them up … I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:48 PM

do you recommend tipping wireworms with anything? Or do you usually leave it as is. I imagine tossing a mealworm on the tip might help with enticing a bite.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
do you recommend tipping wireworms with anything? Or do you usually leave it as is. I imagine tossing a mealworm on the tip might help with enticing a bite.

Skoaltender .... I normally don't tip W/W's with bait, however, I have on occasion used maggots on W/W and it's made all the difference between catching and getting skunked ... Jumbo Perch also love this presentation.

As well, I met a fellow on Gull with lots of seniority who out fished me using a small piece of bacon fat tipped on his Brass W/W.

In other words ... don't rule out some scent/bait on your W/W's!

Old 11-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
For those of you who are thinking about getting into or making a few different W/W's patterns, this may be of interest. It's a rewarding hobby when you make a few and they actually catch fish and lots of different fish, including big fish.

I stopped at Michaels the craft store in R/D to get some wire and glass beads to make a few different W/W patterns. I caught one Walleye and the Burb the other day on RR23 using the 4 yellow/1 red, and another walleye on the brass/dark bead all on a #8 hook. As previously mentioned, seen lots of Whites but none would come in for a closer look ... maybe that Sylvan Gator had something to do with it!

Thought I would try a few color combos in the spirit of the Holiday season and plan to field test them tomorrow on RR23. If none of these produce, then the Candy Kane wraps come out.

Z-z

Bright and Colorful like XMass Lights

Two of my Most Productive Patterns

Assortment of My Creations & some Store Bought

Thanks fer sharin, lot's of hotties at Micheals too, had I only known when I was single!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Thanks fer sharin, lot's of hotties at Micheals too, had I only known when I was single!
LOL! Forget the bars, arts and crafts is where it is at. Usually means there is talent there too...
Are those beads in your pocket...
Old 11-27-2016, 10:12 PM

For those asking on what knot to use to tie two w/w on as Zip has shown...here is the knot I use...super simple:

https://youtu.be/4G-autx-iXA

Just always remember to start by feeding the line thru the hook eye from the right direction or else you will have the hook on upside down.

Zip...hope I can meet up with you this season as soon as some good ice gets here!!!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 PM

Something different … “Glow” - Wire Worms, got the green glow gel beads at TFH sometime ago, I’m hoping they produce in Gull if we have another year of cloudy water clarity.

Snap & W-Bill … You city guys got it all, the craft stores out here mainly have mature ladies dressed in black polka dot uniforms and petticoats.

J&7 … tks for posting …. that’s a solid knot for a tandem W/W rig … trust you got that monster buck & are sharpening every hook in the tackle box, looking forward to catchin up.

Fella’s …. the ice on Sylvan this morning was looking promising, will update the Ice thread in a day or so with more pic’s.

Today’s creations ….

Z-z

Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Snap & W-Bill … You city guys got it all, the craft stores out here mainly have mature ladies dressed in black polka dot uniforms and petticoats.
LOL, don't lump me in with those city slickers. I only work there but live on a full farm some 30 kms out of town.

Glow beads huh...hmm. You have to report back on those. That definitely caught my interest. Probably catch more burbs and perch than whites though at Gull
Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 PM

Great thread Zip, I've had it bookmarked for a while. How do you like to charge up your glow beads? Regular old flashlight?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Great thread Zip, I've had it bookmarked for a while. How do you like to charge up your glow beads? Regular old flashlight?
Daylight ... never had much success sight fishing or catchin Whites after dusk ... this year I intend to put more effort into fishin shallow and move into 2-3 FOW before the sun hits the trees. After that the flashlight comes out and the burbs show up to clean-up any bait that fell off.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 PM

Well after going through this thread I had to go out and buy the stuff to make some. will post some pics of my first attempts.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-29-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
LOL, don't lump me in with those city slickers. I only work there but live on a full farm some 30 kms out of town.

Glow beads huh...hmm. You have to report back on those. That definitely caught my interest. Probably catch more burbs and perch than whites though at Gull
Snap ... don't bet the farm on Glow worms, but if Gull's murky water clarity is similar to last years, they may make a difference to get those monster Whites interested in coming in for a look & then the little magic twitch to get them to inhaling your W/W.

I can hear that "Got ya" .... already.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Well after going through this thread I had to go out and buy the stuff to make some. will post some pics of my first attempts.
S-Shot .... look forward to your update & pics, would also like to see other members share some of their favorite creations, too.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Daylight ... never had much success sight fishing or catchin Whites after dusk ... this year I intend to put more effort into fishin shallow and move into 2-3 FOW before the sun hits the trees. After that the flashlight comes out and the burbs show up to clean-up any bait that fell off.

Good to know thank you
Old 11-30-2016, 08:36 PM

What a great post. Thank you
Old 11-30-2016, 09:57 PM

Well got my first ones tied. Tell me what you think.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 PM

sureshot Well got my first ones tied. Tell me what you think.

Bty's ... excellent color combo's, you won't have any trouble catching Whites or even Perch & Walleye with those.

I imagine the next batch will be out of shinny Brass or try some dark colors they can be deadly on bright sunny days.

Like ....

Old 11-30-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
sureshot Well got my first ones tied. Tell me what you think.

Bty's ... excellent color combo's, you won't have any trouble catching Whites or even Perch & Walleye with those.

I imagine the next batch will be out of shinny Brass or try some dark colors they can be deadly on bright sunny days.

Like ....

Thanks I just used brass beads and the wife's nail polish to color them. I'm getting a vice tomorrow to make it easier. Where did you get the colored wire.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:42 PM

Tied up a few more will try them out this weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Was looking for something in my Photobucket Library ... found a bunch of old pics that were previously posted that may be of interest.

Z-z

Michael's Variety Pack & Cat 5/6 computer wire works, too.

Especially the "Brown" wire.

Junk box ...

Sometimes they like tiny w/w patterns ...

This may explain why I promote this W/W pattern ... caught a bunch of Whites that had these inside .... Z-z's W/W minnow imitation.

When W/W's don't attract them try something different .... don't forget to bring some bait.

# 4. - Mr. Twister Tail in this pattern is deadly.

Fish "Call" ... some flash with a maggot or meal worm down below gets them to come have a look & tie W/W 10-12" above gets them to commit. Works great for Perch/Walleye, too.

Some suggestions for your consideration ... they all have worked for me.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:37 PM

Post error.