Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Default The Trout Lakes of Northern Alberta

Please let me know what you think. Tight lines, Neil

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mhdk6iuot...5WlI6n18a?dl=0
Old 12-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Good info for sure,,, thanks for the effort and posting up the link.

Spotted some possible typos …

ie. Black Nugget stocking 2018... "5 Tigers(2n@75cm)' Really??? Only 5 fish over 34 inches???

Lower Chain... "Please CPR the Tigers" Not sure if pounding on a trout's chest really helps that much!!!

Hope this is the kind of thing you wanted to know,,, not trying to be sarcastic,,, but it is kinda funny just the same.

Last edited by Pikebreath; 12-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:50 PM

The 5 were stocked at the very end and were brood stock. Diplomat got 4 and more of the brood stock was distributed. My CPR stands for Catch, Photograph and Release. Cheers, Neil
Old 12-01-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsa313 View Post
The 5 were stocked at the very end and were brood stock. Diplomat got 4 and more of the brood stock was distributed. My CPR stands for Catch, Photograph and Release. Cheers, Neil
Thanks,,, I stand corrected,,,,

CPR … "Catch, photo, release!".... Makes sense but I never heard that version before.

Can't see the reasoning behind brood stock tigers, being hybrids, are they not sterile? And 75 cm is a 30 inch trout (not 34, my typo there), absolutely huge! Doesn't make sense to me why they would fed to that size in a hatchery / rearing facility.

At any rate some lucky anglers will hopefully get to tangle with those big brutes!!!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:16 PM

No problem.
Yes, Tigers are sterile. These fish have outgrown their usefulness as broodstock so why nor release them for anglers to catch. Broodstock tends to be soft until they tone up. Another reason for CPR. Please stay in touch.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
No problem.
Yes, Tigers are sterile. These fish have outgrown their usefulness as broodstock so why nor release them for anglers to catch. Broodstock tends to be soft until they tone up. Another reason for CPR. Please stay in touch.
Agreed they should released, but how does a tiger trout make babies? You need brookie and brown trout parents. Why feed a sterile trout up to 75 CM before releasing?

Sorry for the derail,,, but am curious if you know why they holding back a few tigers to 75 cm when they can't be used as breed stock ? Or through some form of biotech, perhaps they can?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 PM

Good question - I don't know. I know that a tiger is the offspring of a female brown trout and a male brook trout but I do not know why some of the offspring should be reared to 30" and then released as I don't think any spawn could be viable. I'll find out and post.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Here is the answer to "Why in 2018, a few large tigers were available and stocked in a few lakes.

So we stocked those large Tigers this fall because we are doing major renovations at the Allison Creek Brood Trout Station so we needed to thin our big adults we had. So we stocked those big Tigers they were six years old. The reason we had the big Tigers was to confirm that Tiger Trout are a sterile fish and cannot make babies. The females were checked from age 3 to age 6 for eggs (zero) and males were confirmed to have very poor testes. We also spawned male Tigers with female Brook Trout and all eggs were non-fertile (dead).

I don’t anticipate us doing this again. We have kept a few of the big ones at Allison Creek to confirm how long they will live. I want to see if they can live past 8 years.

If the Tigers are released after being caught we should see some big Tigers coming out of our lakes soon. The first stockings was fall 2015 so we should be seeing some 50-70cm Tigers in the next year or so. The amount of Prussian Carp in Blood Indian we could see some big Tigers coming out of that lake in the next two years.

The Tiger trout we stock in the lakes each fall are around 23cm on average but they will range from 14cm to 30cm even though they were born the same day Tigers do not grow the same. The Tigers are typically 20 months old at stocking. We use a female brown trout and male brook trout to make the Tigers every fall at Allison Creek.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the link. I’ll be sure to reference this often

BW
Old 12-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Agreed they should released, but how does a tiger trout make babies? You need brookie and brown trout parents. Why feed a sterile trout up to 75 CM before releasing?

Sorry for the derail,,, but am curious if you know why they holding back a few tigers to 75 cm when they can't be used as breed stock ? Or through some form of biotech, perhaps they can?
Larger fish more eggs
Old 12-01-2018, 09:10 PM

True for all others but not Tigers. No eggs.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM

Feel free to pass the link on. You can save and print only the lakes you want to. Just save,
bookmark or desktop the link. And oh. send me photos taken at the lakes. Scenery is good. They don't have to include fish.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Here is the answer to "Why in 2018, a few large tigers were available and stocked in a few lakes.

So we stocked those large Tigers this fall because we are doing major renovations at the Allison Creek Brood Trout Station so we needed to thin our big adults we had. So we stocked those big Tigers they were six years old. The reason we had the big Tigers was to confirm that Tiger Trout are a sterile fish and cannot make babies. The females were checked from age 3 to age 6 for eggs (zero) and males were confirmed to have very poor testes. We also spawned male Tigers with female Brook Trout and all eggs were non-fertile (dead).

I don’t anticipate us doing this again. We have kept a few of the big ones at Allison Creek to confirm how long they will live. I want to see if they can live past 8 years.

If the Tigers are released after being caught we should see some big Tigers coming out of our lakes soon. The first stockings was fall 2015 so we should be seeing some 50-70cm Tigers in the next year or so. The amount of Prussian Carp in Blood Indian we could see some big Tigers coming out of that lake in the next two years.

The Tiger trout we stock in the lakes each fall are around 23cm on average but they will range from 14cm to 30cm even though they were born the same day Tigers do not grow the same. The Tigers are typically 20 months old at stocking. We use a female brown trout and male brook trout to make the Tigers every fall at Allison Creek.
Thank you. That is very interesting info!
Old 12-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Once again thankyou! Used this atlas along with the stocking report to narrow down where I'll be focusing my winter ice fishing!
Old 12-03-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Catching a big tiger trout, or heck, any tiger trout, is on my bucket list.

Just a technicality, but trout aren't born, the're hatched!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:42 PM

The table below is where Tiger trout were stocked in 2018. Please go to MWA to get previous years.
https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fis...aspx?listing=1

Please apply CPR (Catch, Photograph, Release) on all of the tigers that you catch (Don’t you want to know how big they can get?) and especially the large (30”) , released in Black Nugget, Blood Indian, Diplomat, Kerbe’s, Little Bear, Moonshine and Reesor. They will be soft and not very good to eat for some time and CPR lets others have the thrill of catching them. An Alberta record should come from one of these lakes soon.
Tight lines,
Neil

Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the info I’m curious to know if they plan on stocking tigers in other lakes around Alberta. They seam to be a novelty almost all trout fishermen are intrigued with.
I know I’d love to see more in our lakes.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:24 PM

Sorry, I don't know. If I find out, I'll post the info. Cheers, Neil
Old 12-07-2018, 09:00 AM

Default The Trout Lakes of Northern Alberta

Almost 1000 views. I'm gratified and not one bit of flak about revealing a honey-hole.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Any chance you'll have a "Trout Lakes of Southern Alberta"?

Awesome information!

I'm heading out to Blood tomorrow. Hoping to wrangle with one of those recently stocked brute tigers or browns. Can't keep the little tigers off my line in that lake!
Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Re The Trout Lakes of Southern Alberta

Sorry, cripes I'm 82yo and not looking for a second career. Caroline/RMH is as close as I plan on going. Cheers, Neil
Old 12-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Sorry, cripes I'm 82yo and not looking for a second career. Caroline/RMH is as close as I plan on going. Cheers, Neil
82? Good for you! Tight lines!