Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Building my first backyard ice rink.

Hey everyone,

Well I have a new project on the go, one that I think at some point many of you have attempted or at least wanted to, that is make a Backyard Ice rink.

There is sooo much info on Google and I have absorbed a great deal like a sponge, well as much of it as I can.
First rule to making a rink possible, FLAT does not mean Level.....weather you are going boards and liner, or just "traditional" and packing snow and spraying, and packing and spraying.... you have to be level.
That is the pickle I am in... here is why...

I decided to take on the challenge of building a rink as it is our year to hold the Family Christmas Day classic. If the pond behind our acreage wasn't so low and well over 400 yards away, "lot of extension cords for lights" from the house I'd be laughing.

First of all I am not laughing right now, nope I am tired from just getting the area somewhat level, see the only place to make the rink is on the garden, the rest of the land is far too sloped. But so is the garden
I have been working on just leveling things off for 3 days and still have a fair bit to do. I have had to raise one end to almost 6 inches of packed snow/water.
Anywho as things are looking I might be able to get my "tarp" in by tomorrow evening and start to flood the area. I did a test flood with a 100 gallons and within an hour most of the water in the low corner seeped away.

The rink is 40'L X 24'W reasonable for what I had to work with.

So anyone else out there ever get into it like this before?
Seeing how this is my first time ever making a rink, I think I am in over my head and will be impressed if I have a skate-able sheet of ice by Christmas Day.
Needless to say at least I am giving it a shot.
I will post pics of my Failure or Success on Boxing Day!

Jonny A

The Anvil
Old 12-18-2010, 12:07 AM

Jon when I was Younger I made one for 5 years in a row , I put it in the back yard but it sloped , I made my base with snow and water and packed it down and didnt care if it was level or not Kept flooding until it became level , and used Ice chipper in places. It was roughly 60 feet long 25 feet wide . Anyway I flooded it but the last 2 floods used hot water , hooked hose to hot water outlet where washing machine is . And it melted where anything wasnt level . Then if you wanna put line like a hockey rink . Id say use white plastic like a white tarp with red line and goal crease and what not in there . I even riged up light around with spot lights from home hard ware about 15 bucks a piece and just used extension cords all the way around . Played hockey back there all winter long , and once it got to much use just re flood it .

I was gonna go to school for ice making but then unexpected things happened with my leg , ruptured my achilles tendon and that was the end of that .
Old 12-18-2010, 06:47 AM

Talking

Quote:
I was gonna go to school for ice making
Just go fishing in the fall. Sit back and relax. I hear in Canada ice forms over water bodies each year.
Watch and learn !

Anvil.....this going to be an exercise area for chickens ?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Just go fishing in the fall. Sit back and relax. I hear in Canada ice forms over water bodies each year.
Watch and learn !

Anvil.....this going to be an exercise area for chickens ?
Hey Reeves,
lol yeah I would have to agree.. lol For some reason I have packed a 7 inch base of snow and water but she keeps draining out on me some how. Today the Tarp goes down.

Nope not an exercise area for the Chickens, their area is MUCH bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Jon when I was Younger I made one for 5 years in a row , I put it in the back yard but it sloped , I made my base with snow and water and packed it down and didnt care if it was level or not Kept flooding until it became level , and used Ice chipper in places. It was roughly 60 feet long 25 feet wide . Anyway I flooded it but the last 2 floods used hot water , hooked hose to hot water outlet where washing machine is . And it melted where anything wasnt level . Then if you wanna put line like a hockey rink . Id say use white plastic like a white tarp with red line and goal crease and what not in there . I even riged up light around with spot lights from home hard ware about 15 bucks a piece and just used extension cords all the way around . Played hockey back there all winter long , and once it got to much use just re flood it .

I was gonna go to school for ice making but then unexpected things happened with my leg , ruptured my achilles tendon and that was the end of that .
BBJ,

what method did you use to pack the snow down.
I have been using a sheet of plywood and my weight.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 AM

hey do you think maybe your overflooding it? Try and give it a few smaller layers to get a base. Then start building it up.
It shouldnt take long for thin layers to freeze right now.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Cool ice making

hey i made ice for an arena my advice is to seal in your sides of your rink by sealing in i mean pebble it use a sprinkler nozzel which does a fine mist spray it and let freeze do that till your snow around the rink is good and frozen. not sure what you are using to flood it but i would use a garden hose taped to a hockey stick ( end of hose even with the end of blade of stick and keep hose as close to ice as possible) and walk form on end of rink to the other over lapping the water by a couple inches dont put to much down to start with as you build the it up you can walk slower puting more water down each flood as for getting it level water will level it self you just keep putting water down till level then once level do a couple more floods with hot water(if able to) this will smooth out the ice by melting the top layer i would also pebble the ice surface a few times to seal in the ground . i dont use a tarp if i can get a good seal on the ground .dont know if this helps but good luck
Old 12-18-2010, 10:02 AM

More snow, less water. Build it up slowly at first, and it wont be long before it's sealed up. Once your at that point you can flood the surface about a half inch or so at a time. Don't try to do to much at one time, or your ice won't be as good to skate on.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatkings View Post
hey i made ice for an arena my advice is to seal in your sides of your rink by sealing in i mean pebble it use a sprinkler nozzel which does a fine mist spray it and let freeze do that till your snow around the rink is good and frozen. not sure what you are using to flood it but i would use a garden hose taped to a hockey stick ( end of hose even with the end of blade of stick and keep hose as close to ice as possible) and walk form on end of rink to the other over lapping the water by a couple inches dont put to much down to start with as you build the it up you can walk slower puting more water down each flood as for getting it level water will level it self you just keep putting water down till level then once level do a couple more floods with hot water(if able to) this will smooth out the ice by melting the top layer i would also pebble the ice surface a few times to seal in the ground . i dont use a tarp if i can get a good seal on the ground .dont know if this helps but good luck
This does help.
I was using the Shower feature on the spray nozzle not the Mist setting, oops. I will start to mist and build up a nice ice layer.

Still working on the Base, and outter edge, things should move along quicker is I mist. I was over saturating it I am sure with the shower setting.
I am making a Homeboni, using pvc towel method for final few layers, after my lines are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
More snow, less water. Build it up slowly at first, and it wont be long before it's sealed up. Once your at that point you can flood the surface about a half inch or so at a time. Don't try to do to much at one time, or your ice won't be as good to skate on.
I have LOTs of powdery snow around the acreage i can use, and load it up with my tractor, level it with a board and a shovel. So when you say less water more snow, should I be making slush, or less watery?

Thanks a million fellows!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
BBJ,

what method did you use to pack the snow down.
I have been using a sheet of plywood and my weight.
I For the sheet I used a 4 foot by 4 foot piece of plywood then nailed a piece of 2x4 and packed it but for the corners used the snow shovel , and used hose but used the sprinkler but on a pretty fine mist . then as it got the corners I flooded slowly , Used a tarp for the base and once my corners were hard , I tarped then flooded . I got pictures Ill have to scan the ice was Orange , with the lines of a hockey rink . It was really cool .
Old 12-19-2010, 09:34 AM

After numerous yard rinks in Calgary (Chinooks) a tarp or poly base is the way to go. It will help hold it together during a Chinook and refreeze again with colder weather.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

HAHHAHA I LOVE THIS ONE:

HE EVEN HAS A ZAMBONI

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 AM

Now that is a wicked rink... If only I could put together something like that....

Oh wait next year.... maybe..lol

Ok, so the rink is leveling off so far, I am almost at the point where I am going to lay the tarp in place, now that my base is done.

I went out and bought a 40ft x 30ft blue tarp from Canuck Rim,
Now I just have to figure out how much ice I need on top of that?
4 inches?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Anvil, first off - nice work building your own rink! The test of a true Canadian is whether he has dropped the puck on his own backyard rink or plunged a hand into an 8 inch hole of freezing cold water to grab a gator by the mouth.

I hear ya with the flood water draining out, and not creating a good seal. With my previous ice making experience, you need to establish a solid perimeter to hold in your floods. The best time to do this is when it is super cold. -15 and below is good, but -30 makes you and the ice work much faster! The warmer it is, the more difficult it will be. But if you pack the snow around as a berm for your perimeter, and ice it with some water from the hose, your future floods will hold.

To build your ice base, the quickest, fastest way to build ice is to use a spray nozzle on the end of a hockey stick, as previously mentioned. By attaching the hose to the end of the hockey stick, it keeps your hands dry and not frozen. Flip the blade up so that your spray goes up into the air to cool down before it hits the ice. By cooling the fine spray in the air, it freezes almost instantly it hits the ice if it is cold enough outside. You can build one inch of "layered" ice in one night with this method. Once you have a solid base of ice, take the nozzle off and flood with clear, unareated water, on snowless ice. Ideally you want to put on a "sheet" of water to freeze level, with no bumps. The snow creates soft spots and bumps which make the puck jump. By flooding with the hose, just set it down starting in the far corner from your water tap. Leave it there to flood the area, and move it about every 5 minutes. LET THE WATER DO THE WORK FOR YOU! Move it into the other far corner, and keep moving back in increments until you are in the close corner, and you have a wet steaming rink that will surely put a smile on your face Basically, if you spash the water down, you will have an uneven playing surface. If you put too much water on at once, you will have it bubble and crack off in sheets when you skate on it.

Take your time, take pictures and take it easy! Careful with the slapshot holes in the fence, and pucks in the garden

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
I have LOTs of powdery snow around the acreage i can use, and load it up with my tractor, level it with a board and a shovel. So when you say less water more snow, should I be making slush, or less watery?
I found that by making a nice slushy mixyou could spread it around and pack it real nice. Once it was good and frozen I would just keep flooding it a little at a time, depending on temps I was working in. TFG was correct about the temps, being that when its colder you can build it faster. The trick is to not put too much on at once. Thin layers freeze faster, and build a better base. I never used any tarps on the ones I built, I just would build my ice till it was about 6" or so thick.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Smile Great Advice!

Good on you, building your own rink! I skated on one my Dad and I built in Ottawa many years ago, my son I think only skated on artificial ice.
The key is as others have said is not to let the water to run off in the low spot. You can make a "corner" with wood or hard packed frozen snow works too.
Water with thin coats and use hot water on cold nights to fix your mistakes.
The kids will love it. It has other benefits too the kid next door played in the NHL and it kept me in school.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips.

Things are really coming along, I decided not to use the tarp after all. Needed the money for gas to run more water.
The rink is begining to level out finally, I have one spot that is higher than everywhere else as a result of dumping a garbage can full of water on the rinks the past few days. So I am taking it down a bit at a time with warm water.

Which is doing two things... .one it is taking the heave down, and two it is smoothing out the ice.... ok three it is also helping with the flooding of the rink.

So far soooooo good for my first ever backyard rink.

I have been taking pics and will post some soon....

Next year I will be preparing the area well in advance, this was a last minute request by my family, and a challenge from my uncle.

I really appreciate all the tips and info and suggestions.... I just can't wait to drop a puck come Christmas Day.

Oh yeah, fresh ice + powdery snow + Baffin insulated rubber boots= I SPILT MY EGGNOG!!!!!!

Cheers,
Old 12-21-2010, 03:31 PM

Anvil,
Put up a photo of your NHL rink when you are done.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Hey everyone,

Sooooo

last night I took the advice given here and went to work on the rink.
This morning when i woke up to check on things the rink today is all cracked throughout the entire rink, and there is a large heave that takes up a good chunk of the area

My base is finished and now I want to start to build up the skating surface,

Question, should I use hot water to take down the large heave, it's higher than the rest of the rink by a lot, and it making things uneven.

Also I read that using hot water will make the ice stronger is this true to some degree?

I am in crunch time now, and think the rink might not be ready for Christmas night?

and more advice is appreciated.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Hit it with another layer of regular water. This might be a all night project. You supply the "ANTI FREEZE" and I will come and help. Your last layer could be done with Hot water.
I believe it cracked due to your base. But since you already have started, you just have to keep hitting it with the hose.

Idealy, you want to start on bare ground that is frozen. Then put down a tarp that is raised in the sides (Think pool). Slope can be taken care of with 2x6 or 2x10 depending on how bad it is.

2 years ago I actually made a "HOMEBONI". It worked great. Easy to make easy to use and gives you indoor quality finish to the ice. I swear we had one weekend of NHL caliber ice that year. But then it rained..

Like I said.. MORE WATER!!!

Good luck
Jamie
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Well I got to thinking and decided to re evaluate the whole situation.

I ran out and got myself some 2x6's and some plastic, reason being that the area that had finally leveled off, was almost at the top of the boards.

So I made a whole new barrier on top of the ice, allowing for another 6 inches of height on the "low side" the high side I referred to earlier on will not be a problem after all.

The extra boards are in place and the plastic is holding the 300 gallons of water I just poured on the rink. So far so good.

the entire area is almost level, now I have to start thinking about making my homeboni.... I know how I am going to do it, just haven't gotten the supplies yet.

I will be using the homeboni for the finishing touches, and to repair the ice after skating or before, when ever it needs it.

I will post pics when I am all done, but for now it's time to get some other chores done. I figure it is Going to take minimum of 6-8 hours to freeze what I put on before I can flood again, doing 1/4 inch floods at a time.

I can see this all working out.

Thanks again everyone....
Old 12-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Holy crap, you put 300 gal on at one time??? Wow, I would've been throwing snow in it to get it nice and slushy so it would freeze up faster. As far as your cracks go, fill them with snow, flood them, and then fill with more snow. Once it freezes again, just flood over it and keep building.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 PM

It is almost level.....

F Me next time I am preparing the area well in advance...lol
This is just insane..lol
Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 PM

Default DONE and work AWESOME

Hey everyone,

Well time for some pics.. The rink turned out great, we played for hours into the early morning. Good old 5 on 5 shinny hockey.
I have resurfaced a couple times and have a fairly smooth sheet of ice now.

Plan on skating on it to night unless the better half has other plans...

From start to finish...

What I was working with...

Packing snow by foot and board...

After a few floods...
Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 PM

Default After a few more floods

And again more snow packing and flooding...

missed some pics... while i flooded...

2 feet of ice...

And missed some more photos... hehe must have been the egg nog..

and The finished Result is below...
Old 12-31-2010, 01:03 PM

Default Finished Rink...

Here is the Final Result of my eggforts.. I mean efforts

It took over 1600 gallons of water 900 of that was stinky well water +snow, as well as at least 2 gallons of eggnog double rum

It will last trough until my B-day in Feb....whoo hoo.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM

Default Great rink

Wow, thats alot of ice, great job I better your family and freinds will use that daily!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 PM

Looks great Anvil!!! Job well done!!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 PM

I think you did one helluva job !! Congrats !!

And I think you'll have a fresh supply of ice cubes right into July !!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks,

I am going for a skate tonight

Nice thing is It's on top of the garden so it will be an excuse not to till it until August...lol

Lots of work... next time I start preparing and getting things ready in Oct.

Cheers!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Thats fantastic.
GREAT JOB!

Next year get some boards, heat the benchs and lets get a game going.
Jamie