Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2020, 05:22 PM

Default building permit for wood stove

anyone know if you need a building permit to install a wood stove? I plan to get it installed by WETT certified installer. Called strathcona county and the person that I was directed to talk to had no idea. shocker I know. any help appreciated.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraywolf View Post
anyone know if you need a building permit to install a wood stove? I plan to get it installed by WETT certified installer. Called strathcona county and the person that I was directed to talk to had no idea. shocker I know. any help appreciated.
I had one put in my house here back in 2002 by Alberta Wholesale fireplaces. Went with the Selkirk and very happy with it. I don’t recall needing a building permit but I had to get the guy from Beaumont to inspect after the job was done.
As far as the permit the house originally had a natural gas insert and I ripped that out the first week in the house. So my construction was already there
Old 11-02-2020, 06:25 PM

You’ll need a permit. It may come via the contractor.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:57 PM

I put one in my house and it required a permit from the city. different jurisdiction than you, but a permit was req'd all the same. It was pulled by the vendor/installer.

also, if you are using it as a primary heat source then I advise you strongly to look at a Blaze King. That might not be the case considering all the natural gas lines running across Alberta giving cheap energy, but here up north this blaze king stove has saved me a pile of money. 14 hour burn times on soft wood spruce/pine. my forced air never turns on : )
Old 11-02-2020, 09:11 PM

Permit required for installation. WETT typically required for insurance purposes as well
Old 11-02-2020, 10:49 PM

also check with your insurance company, mine went up 100 bucks

then sent them pics and they had a guy come over to inspect it and it dropped 50 bucks

no idea why but out in the country so maybe some concerns with fire department not getting there in time?

Dunn o
Old 11-02-2020, 11:07 PM

WETT Certification form from the contractor
Old 11-03-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
the house originally had a natural gas insert and I ripped that out the first week in the house. So my construction was already there
I have heard of people doing it the other way (rip out the fireplace and install a natural gas one). I'm interested to hear what needed to be done in your case (chimney etc.)

I currently have a natural gas fireplace and will need to be replacing it eventually... I do like wood stoves/fireplaces and I am curious as to whether that would be a viable option (I miss my old fireplace!)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
WETT Certification form from the contractor
WETT is universal, building permit depends on the jurisdiction. Some even ban wood burning.

Grizz
Old 11-03-2020, 12:31 PM

A permit is required.

https://www.strathcona.ca/your-prope...0is%20required.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:47 AM

I’ll update as I go for everyone on here. Working on building permit now. Anyone have links for how big the harth needs to be? Having trouble finding something solid.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I’ll update as I go for everyone on here. Working on building permit now. Anyone have links for how big the harth needs to be? Having trouble finding something solid.
From memory, 18" in front, 8" sides. 18" clearance for uninsulated stove pipe, but double walled or heat shielding cuts that in half. Stoves have individual clearances, but the more expensive ones are usually better.

Grizz
Old 11-04-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you are asking here. Are you looking for the clearances around the stove itself? Or are you building the firebox yourself and looking for how large the harth should be?

Tags
building, permit, stove, wood, woodstove