Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Default Building Inspections

I am going to build a house west of Didsbury, Mountain View County. The permit states when to have inspections done. It didnt make sense to me to have the foundation inspected only before back fill. How do they know the footings are formed properly and how do they know there is the correct amount of steel in the foundation cribbing? I expected they would look at the form stage as well. On framing, why do they inspect only after plumbing and electrical are done? It seems to me that if something is wrong with the framing, a person would want to know before they put all the work into running plumbing and electrical and HVAC. Why do it twice if something at teh framing stage isnt done right and needs to be fixed.

Taht being said. Anyone know a good constrcution superintendant in the area?? What kind of rates do they charge?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

As far as the framing goes, it's easier to inspect after the other trades have gone through. Everything is still open and exposed and chances are that if there is an issue it could have been done by another trade cutting holes for wires, vents, pipes etc.The inspector isn't usually checking quality or squareness, just structural and load bearing areas, which is unfortunate. With concrete, I don't think there is a lot of rebar used in residential, so as long as your walls are centered fairly well on your footings things sholud be fine.
Good luck with the new build!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM

The main concern with the foundation is damp proofing and that the weeping tile is installed correctly. As mentioned above, the framing inspection at that stage is done to ensure no structural members were cut during rough ins. As a framer, I can tell you that some plumbers/hvac installers put little to no thought into why that peice of lumber is there. I have been called back by a builder or 3 over failed inspections, only to see someone knocked out squash blocks to run duct through, or cut strapping for a plumbing stack.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
As far as the framing goes, it's easier to inspect after the other trades have gone through. Everything is still open and exposed and chances are that if there is an issue it could have been done by another trade cutting holes for wires, vents, pipes etc.The inspector isn't usually checking quality or squareness, just structural and load bearing areas, which is unfortunate. With concrete, I don't think there is a lot of rebar used in residential, so as long as your walls are centered fairly well on your footings things sholud be fine.
Good luck with the new build!

Not true at all on the Rebar or the foundation comment.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Not true at all on the Rebar or the foundation comment.
I wasn't overly sure on the rebar, I've just never seen the cribbing crews build cages to the extent of commercial grade.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Hate to disappoint you, but it's only a house. Nothing high tech or really sophisticated in the construction. There's a basic assumption that the people doing the building are competent and know what they are doing. Idea of inspection prior to back filling is to see the damp proofing and the drainage tile. Defects in the framing are the framing contractor's problem. Inspection after heating and plumbing are installed also insures the following trades didn't compromise the structural integrity. Hire some competent trades and relax. Mtnview contracted their inspections out to some outfit, whose name escapes me, but you should be dealing with only one company. Were are you building? Might sneak by for a peak.

Grizz
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM

The inspections are not to look for bad workmanship it is for safety only. ei electrical is for safety only, they don't look to see if the splice are done right. the plumbing the same safety only they don't look for leaks.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
The inspections are not to look for bad workmanship it is for safety only. ei electrical is for safety only, they don't look to see if the splice are done right. the plumbing the same safety only they don't look for leaks.
But they want to see the trenches open, so they can see the slopes of the drain pipes and that venting meets code. It's the drain lines they're concerned about, not the water pipes. I think they're a little more thorough than you think.

Grizz
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I think they're a little more thorough than you think.
Yeah, we are. You might be surprised at how much gets checked without fanfare.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM

I was hoping to use the inspections as a check on the trades but I can see the point of the framing inspection after the services are run. As the guy paying the bills I would like to know that steps one and two are correct before spending money on steps three and four.

I am going to check with a few people I know in the trades to see if they will have a look from time to time.

Again, does anyone know a good construction super? I have read about people who act as there own GC can hire one to to sort of consult as the project progresses
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Again, does anyone know a good construction super? I have read about people who act as there own GC can hire one to to sort of consult as the project progresses
All the ones I know are working and the good ones will be. I may know someone that would contract site review of the work if you are interested, but no promises. He is presently posted on Okotoks and living in the Millarville area.

As to being your own GC, the biggest obstacle is financing. Banks will not (or very rarely) finance construction unless you are a business (actual incorporated GC).
Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 AM

The comments made by my the posters avove is correct. The dampproof and weeping tile are the primary inspection before backfill. Having been in construction for 30+ years, you can never take too many pictures. If for example 10 years down the road you need to bust out some concrete in your basement floor, a picture will give you approximate locations of your roughins that you don't want to hit.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
I was hoping to use the inspections as a check on the trades but I can see the point of the framing inspection after the services are run. As the guy paying the bills I would like to know that steps one and two are correct before spending money on steps three and four.

I am going to check with a few people I know in the trades to see if they will have a look from time to time.

Two guys that come to mind are Brian Evans out of Sundre (Brian Evans Planning and Building) and Brian Gardner who lives close to Olds. Both come VERY highly recommended but I don't know how busy they are.

Grizz has a real good reputation around Sundre as well and as his post says above he would pop around to have a look.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM

I didn't realize Grizz was in the industry and qualified. I thought he was just being nosy. sorry.

I will check with some guys I know and then maybe I will see if some of he builders in the area will contract site supervision.

Thanks all.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 AM

If you are still looking for a framer, drop me a PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM

A buddy of mine used a guy by the name of Trent Holmes for supervision when he built his house. Number is in mountainview phone book