Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-25-2023, 12:03 AM

Default New Rifle Arrived

I recently purchased my first fully custom rifle build from EM Precision. I was able to pick it up yesterday, and my goodness am I impressed and happy. The fit and finish on the project is excellent. All the parts I wanted and ordered came together for a most excellent package. The build was done on a Curtis Valor Action. Its smooth and the three lug bolt is surprisingly light in its lift. This is achieved by some very smart technology (roller ball cocking piece). The barrel is an IBI 26” EM precision contour (feels a bit like an MTU). The trigger is Canadian, made by Trigger Tech, and the model is the Diamond. All of the above sit in an MDT ACC Elite Chassis.
I had the opportunity to meet some friends at the Rocky Mountain House Gun range to take the first few shots. (it’s a very nice range and they put on some great events) A big thank you to both Rob and Eugene for helping me set up the new rifle and get it sighted in and on paper. I choose to use some Berger factory ammo so I had the Lapua brass afterwards. It grouped sub moa on paper and I had my zero in just a few shots. I also got the opportunity to test my new Chrono I picked up from EM Precision as well. I am liking the functionality of the bullet seeker or speed tracker or what ever its called now. I mounted it to my chassis easily and was able to input my velocity data into my Applied Ballistics app for a shooting solution. I made repeatable hits from 300-500 meters on steel. (we were doing some testing on shot indicators) I was very pleased with my results. Its only 40 rounds in at this point but I think I have a winner. I forgot to mention the rifle is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (dont judge me) and 22 Creedmoor. This is made possible because the Curtis Valor Action is a switchbarrel configuration (similar to Accuracy International). Hopefully Ill get some more time at the range this week and a more detailed review will follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1585.jpg (69.7 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1586.jpg (66.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1587.jpg (57.9 KB, 280 views)
Old 09-25-2023, 05:59 AM

good for you! hours of fun and bags of $$ vanishing will follow

i was thinking you may come to more toward the darkside of l.r. benchrest, but looks like the prs guys got you!

either way fun will be had, congrats.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:14 AM

Good for you Mark. That's a great looking rifle
Old 09-25-2023, 10:46 AM

Enjoy the new toy

There are no absolutes
Old 09-25-2023, 11:08 AM

Default Forgot Something

I forgot to mention the new bipod. Its an accutac. That sucker is super stable and wide. I really like it. Seems pretty robust as well. I've been using and atlas previous which is nice but this one is more stable. Granted its a bit heavier but for bench shooting and prone shooting I dont really care about the weight.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:24 PM

Have fun with it, sounds like a real beauty!
Cat
Old 09-25-2023, 04:52 PM

Nice option with that Curtis recv'r that you can go rimfire with change of bolt and barrel. Not cheap but lots of trigger time wacking gophers or paper never hurts a guy and price of practice ammo is right.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:45 PM

Default Thought I would share

I went to the range today. The new rifle performed marvelously! I havent even broken it in yet. My first group minus my cold bore was less than 1/2 moa and then I shot a couple more groups that were slightly larger but still around 1/2 moa.

I cant wait to see what it can do once its broken in and I do some load development.

I wanted to comment about the Bullet Seeker Chrono. In 50 rounds it only missed one shot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rifle at the range.jpg (66.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg First group but bigger.jpg (25.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Speed Tracker.jpg (62.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Second group.jpg (30.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 09-25-2023, 07:52 PM

Default Ya good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Nice option with that Curtis recv'r that you can go rimfire with change of bolt and barrel. Not cheap but lots of trigger time wacking gophers or paper never hurts a guy and price of practice ammo is right.
Good point when the bank account recovers I might have to think of doing that.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:54 PM

Nicely done Mark. Looks like it’s going to be a shooter.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:54 PM

Default Another range day and something positive

Went to the range today. Still breaking in the barrel. At the end of the day I noticed a jump in velocity. Went up almost 40 fps. Seems like it must be close to broken in, theres about 150 rounds down the pipe. Some rifles need 200 but mine apparently has settled in at 150. Pretty happy about the increase in speed. I think I will still send another 50 down the pipe before I do load development just to be on the safe side. But a good day overall.

On a side note, still loving the bullet seeker.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:41 PM

Have they finally fixed the "bullet seeker"?

I have been following it and andiscan for the last year or so, and it seems the bullet seeker has had more growing pains.

Hopefully they have it all worked out and you don't have problems with it.

Looks like a fun toy, and as always great shooting.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:57 PM

Default I hope so

I sure hope so. It cost an arm and a leg so if it fails on me I wont be very happy if they dont stand behind it. Mine has worked nearly flawlessly so far, but I might just be lucky.

Its just so convinient to have your chrono on all the time and not have it effect your point of impact or have to dodge around a giant orange rectangle. I dont shoot alot of competitions but was thinking it would be great for that. If you miss you can see if you had a radical velocity flyer and not make a wind or elevation correction.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:54 AM

Hey Mark have you shot the 22CM barrel yet or were those groups all from the 6.5CM, I have been looking at the 22CM a little and thinking

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-09-2023, 10:16 PM

Default Not Yet

I havent shot the 22 Creed barrel yet. I was at the range today starting my load development. I wanted to have the barrel broken in and a rough idea of a good load before I break in the 22 Creed.

That being said maybe I should take it out this week and get you some feedback on the 22 Creed. I must admit I am pretty excited about its potential as a cartridge. My buddy ran it though QuickLoad and I might be able to get 3400 fps with the 75gr ELDM before I see pressure. That would be cool.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:05 PM

Default Tried the Barrel Swap today

Swapped the barrel today. Worked very well. It was easier than I thought it would be. I am pleased with that. It shot some nice groups for a new barrel. I shot some 75gr ELDM's with Alpha Munitions brass. It was a light load but it was still around 3100 fps.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:27 PM

Default Load Development might be done

I had a chance to test some ammo. Looks like a found a pretty good load. Grouped less than 1/2 moa and SD was 7. Average velocity was a bit low but it shoots. Nice part of it being low velocity is low pressure so maybe the extra barrel life is worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bal X 41.5grs.jpg (31.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 41.0 grains.jpg (52.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg ES of 41.5 nice.jpg (19.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-21-2023, 08:47 PM

Default LEarned something Valuable

I also learned something very valuable. I tested some identical rounds with a single variable to deferenciate them. Annealed vs unannealed. The results were quite surprising. The annealed rounds had a better Standard Deviation by 10!
The group size was slightly better but not significant. I am now glad I spent the money on an annealer.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:01 PM

I think you might be seeing more consistent neck tension with the annealed cases.

Congrats, nice rig!
Old 10-22-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I also learned something very valuable. I tested some identical rounds with a single variable to deferenciate them. Annealed vs unannealed. The results were quite surprising. The annealed rounds had a better Standard Deviation by 10!
The group size was slightly better but not significant. I am now glad I spent the money on an annealer.
Many years ago I built myself a 6-284. The rifle was extremely accurate at 100 yds but when run over the chrony the extreme spread of velocity was very large . I fussed around , weighed absolutely everything and nothing changed. Decided
to anneal and the solved the problem !!!
Old 10-22-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Did you notice a difference in accuracy between the annealed and un-annealed rounds? Past 200 ?
Cat
Old 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM

Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Did you notice a difference in accuracy between the annealed and un-annealed rounds? Past 200 ?
Cat
I didnt shoot them to 200 or beyond. At 100 the difference was about 1/10 of an inch. A margin of error that could of been the person behind the trigger quite easily.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:50 AM

Nice setup!
Old 11-06-2023, 10:52 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordyR View Post
Nice setup!
Thanks

I did get a chance to shoot the 22 Creed. It didnt like the 69 Match Kings. It did how ever like the 75gr ELD-M bullets. I was able to make hits at 500M. I didnt zero the scope so i was using the reticle to make the hits. Enjoyed it. I think I am going to like the 22 Creed Cartridge. Hopefully I can do some load development before it gets to cold. Noticed some things in the process.

I noticed the bullet sure gets to target in a hurry. Thats fun. When it hits its much harder to see the gong move. You do hear it though. I suspect this will be very efficent on varmints. Plenty of energy to make them go boom.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:07 PM

Default Updates

So I have some more very positive information to share. I was at the range last weekend and had some great results. Milo Range has a tiny metal plate that I would estimate at around 1/2 MOA at 500m. The rifle was able to make 17 out of 20 hits on this target. The rifle on another occassion made 9/10 hits during a different session. This was done using the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. The bullets were Berger 140 Elite Hunter on a H4350 powder charge going around 2750 fps. Brass is Lapua.

I am very happy that it maintains this type of accuracy at distance. This is exactly what I was looking for. What a great all round package. Cant thank Shane and the guys at EM Precision enough for a great rifle.