Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2023, 02:44 PM

Default Federal Court quashes single use plastics ban

https://edmontonsun.com/news/nationa...5-392aa3234005

The Federal Courts have decided that the liberal government overstepped it s bounds when passing the single use plastic ban bill.

Maybe we will again get straws in our drinks that don't dissolve before you get out of the drive through!

Another turd idea kicked to the curb....for now anyways...

BW
Old 11-16-2023, 02:49 PM

Hell yes. Give me back the real straws and plastic grocery bags.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:21 PM

Does this mean Wendy’s can go back to plastic straws and paper cups instead of plastic cups and paper straws
Old 11-16-2023, 03:34 PM

This sound like the same story when we had to pinched your fishing hooks .
Old 11-16-2023, 03:36 PM

Common sense prevails…. No more toilet paper straws
Old 11-16-2023, 03:51 PM

The village idiot will be furious, that the courts ruled against him again.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:58 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Common sense prevails…. No more toilet paper straws
While I hope you are right, I am betting it will take big chains a while to get through stock of the crappy paper stock before we start getting plastic back into circulation... Hoping not, but I would't be surprised.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-16-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unfortunately the Village idiot , TruDope has lots of support from the idiotic voters in Toronto and area, Ottawa, Montreal, and the West Coast
Old 11-16-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For the second time.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-16-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintearthCounty View Post
Unfortunately the Village idiot , TruDope has lots of support from the idiotic voters in Toronto and area, Ottawa, Montreal, and the West Coast
Not anymore.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintearthCounty View Post
He has the entire east coast wrapped up. They got him in last time. Never forget that
Old 11-16-2023, 06:07 PM

I’ll take every win I can get. Paper water box thingy.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Does this mean Wendy’s can go back to plastic straws and paper cups instead of plastic cups and paper straws
Out of all the fast food places, Wendy's I straws are the worst. The clear plastic cups I don't mind tho.
WDF
Old 11-16-2023, 06:39 PM

Too much plastic in the oceans. Where does it come from? Not Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. Bc maybe, California maybe, Asian countries maybe. Where?
Old 11-16-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Them, and Tim Hortons. The two changes happened in step. One of the most moronic save the environment initiatives I've ever seen.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:42 PM

It really does amaze me that so may "outdoors loving people" actually like single use plastic. Yes, I am fine without any of them simply because I think it's better for our natural world, the love of which is actually what brought me here. They weren't needed for those early settlers we always sing the praises of, or any other hard working, salt of the earth folk before them. Are they less convenient for me? Of course. Are other parts of the world a big problem? Indeed they are but I can only worry about cleaning my house, not my neighbour's. To me, this is kind of an anything to "own the libs" thing to cheer about. As a rural resident I know only, that with all of the roadside trash hunting season strangely brings, I'd rather see paper straws that the rain will take care of over time than plastic chunks I'll find in the carcasses of dead birds I'll find while shed hunting this coming spring. First world problem is an understatement.

I know, I know, that must make me a turd lover.

Last edited by Rvsask; 11-16-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:32 PM

I'll take plastic any day & twice on Sunday. There is no way that my plastic will end up in a whale's mouth in the ocean. We used to use plastic grocery bags for our wastebasket. Now instead we buy plastic bags anyway so what is gained? I say; Nothing!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
It really does amaze me that so may "outdoors loving people" actually like single use plastic. Yes, I am fine without any of them simply because I think it's better for our natural world, the love of which is actually what brought me here. They weren't needed for those early settlers we always sing the praises of, or any other hard working, salt of the earth folk before them. Are they less convenient for me? Of course. Are other parts of the world a big problem? Indeed they are but I can only worry about cleaning my house, not my neighbour's. To me, this is kind of an anything to "own the libs" thing to cheer about. As a rural resident I know only, that with all of the roadside trash hunting season strangely brings, I'd rather see paper straws that the rain will take care of over time than plastic chunks I'll find in the carcasses of dead birds I'll find while shed hunting this coming spring. First world problem is an understatement.

Single use plastics as defined by the government are a drop in the bucket and abolishing them is pure green washing. Just about everything we buy comes in a plastic container, open, empty and discard. Bottled water is very important in third world countries , most of those bottles are just dumped, it makes terrible video for us to see.

Grizz

Old 11-16-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:

The problems with paper straws is twofold, one they get mushy in use, and two, the toxins used to produce them.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I'm buying little garbage bags because I can't use grocery bags anymore. The ones I buy are okay in the house but sucks for garbage bags in trucks because no handle to hang them up. Plus i suspect a lot of the public ended up buying tons of the grocery bags they sell you at the grocery store because they forget to bring their bags to the store.
If worried about plastic then ban offshore imports of basically everything we buy now a days that is plastic junk and not worth fixing after it wears out in couple of years. They literary build bulldozers now with plastic on them!
Honestly I don't like big shots from Ottawa telling me anything.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Single use plastics as defined by the government are a drop in the bucket and abolishing them is pure green washing. Just about everything we buy comes in a plastic container, open, empty and discard. Bottled water is very important in third world countries , most of those bottles are just dumped, it makes terrible video for us to see.

Grizz
If they put a recycling value on each plastic container, straw, cup, plastic bag, etc. sold people would save and recycle more of these items. We already take cans, bottles and milk jugs in for refunds.

BW
Old 11-16-2023, 09:53 PM

Eating off wood was like licking a tongue dispenser. Gross. Tastes horrible. Feel is yucky.

Bring back plastic!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-16-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
If they put a recycling value on each plastic container, straw, cup, plastic bag, etc. sold people would save and recycle more of these items. We already take cans, bottles and milk jugs in for refunds.

BW
Most "recycled " products end up in the landfill anyhow just like wind turbines and solar panels.
Where do the plastics in the oceans come from? a lot comes from cruise ships and from "recycled " waste that countries like China and Vietnam are no longer willing to take.
As a wise man once said for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
Agreed and Alberta has been a leader in the field, but I 'm still trying to figure out why my l L juice tetra pack is worth money while the identical beef or chicken broth container is trash ? I was surprised to see my Ontario relatives throw pop bottles out with the garbage, some years ago.

Grizz

Old 11-17-2023, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Most "recycled " products end up in the landfill anyhow just like wind turbines and solar panels.
Where do the plastics in the oceans come from? a lot comes from cruise ships and from "recycled " waste that countries like China and Vietnam are no longer willing to take.
As a wise man once said for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
https://ourworldindata.org/ocean-plastics

Here is an interesting study indicating that 81% of plastics in the ocean come from Asia with about 36% coming from the Philippines alone.

Much like the largest users of coal and generators of CO2 are not in North American neither are the largest polluters or generators of waste to the environment.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:20 AM

Surprised they weren’t instructed to make it moot ( or some other bs term they recently dreamed up ) That seems to be the new thing to dodge dealing with the issue.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:14 AM

Default Toxic chemicals

I typed in " paper straws and forever chemicals", and read just how bad paper straws and some paper take-out containers are for peoples health. I feel bad for the Sea Turtle that started all this, but I have to wonder, does it know how famous it is now? Hemp makes pretty good straws, apparently, they last for a few beverages and no nasty chemicals.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:02 AM

Bring back the plastic straw, shopping bag and spoons at Timms.
eating soup with a wooden spoon is disgusting!

Ban the plastic from items that are packaged in these hard plastics where you need a grinder to get into in order to get to the item.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:17 AM

Smile Don't celebrate yet

I think that the federal government can pass legislation that makes it possible to ben anything that they determine is harming the environment.

Moot is not a new term, far from it.

I'm sure that most will agree that keeping the environment as clean as possible is something that we all can support.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I think that the federal government can pass legislation that makes it possible to ben anything that they determine is harming the environment.

Moot is not a new term, far from it.

I'm sure that most will agree that keeping the environment as clean as possible is something that we all can support.
This has nothing to do with the environment , just like the carbon tax, this is 100% virtue signaling. Trudeau doesn't care about the environment, or about the climate, he is just trying to buy votes from the people gullible enough to believe his nonsense. And while he is doing this, he wants to destroy our economy , in an attempt to make us dependent on government handouts. Hopefully, there are enough Canadians, that see through this nonsense, to vote the liberals out, in the next election.