Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Lookin for brook trout on cataract

My brother and I are going on fishing trip.He's got a bum hip so not to much trail time.Hopin for a heads up on some good spots.Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Your gonna drive over it on the FTR. Park,get out and fish. You'll catch Brookies everywheres on that creek so don't worry about hiking around for good spots it's one long good spot.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM

mostly faily small in my experiance.
There is a nice waterfall and huge pool abotu a 2 hour hike from the forestry road bridge. straight down stream. with some nice fishign along the way.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM

Default Go upstream

Park at the pull out where the steel gate is between Cataract and Etherington and walk upstream along the logging road. Lots of good spots some beaverponds and you have a chance to get some nice 12 inchers or even the odd hook jaw.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Park at the pull out where the steel gate is between Cataract and Etherington and walk upstream along the logging road. Lots of good spots some beaverponds and you have a chance to get some nice 12 inchers or even the odd hook jaw.
is this the one with the old bridge on it?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:59 PM

Default You are on

There are several bridges along that road and 2 ways I usually access it other than the campground when I stay there. You can park at the first turnout as previous post and just walk down the hill/road and is easy or you can go slightly farther and there is another pullout on the right in front of the old cabin. Park there and walk down the path and it connects with the same road. I like the second pullout as there are a few beaver ponds along there that I always find a few Brookies hiding. The other path I suggested due to easier walking. I usually guide an AO tour up there in the summer and if interested just watch the board. We have had some fun fishing days in this relatively unknown place in the bush that has been there for years. Tons of fish in there too. Mostly smaller but if you work the upstream pools you will surprise yourself to what is in there. As mentioned earlier some beaver ponds that hold some beauties as well. I used to hang out with a guy many years ago and we are talking many and he used to be one of the fisheries biologists and at the time it used to be rated the most fish per kilometre and I can see why. It did take a beating in the big flood several years ago but is still pretty good fishing and amazing scenery for a day trip.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
There are several bridges along that road and 2 ways I usually access it other than the campground when I stay there. You can park at the first turnout as previous post and just walk down the hill/road and is easy or you can go slightly farther and there is another pullout on the right in front of the old cabin. Park there and walk down the path and it connects with the same road. I like the second pullout as there are a few beaver ponds along there that I always find a few Brookies hiding. The other path I suggested due to easier walking. I usually guide an AO tour up there in the summer and if interested just watch the board. We have had some fun fishing days in this relatively unknown place in the bush that has been there for years. Tons of fish in there too. Mostly smaller but if you work the upstream pools you will surprise yourself to what is in there. As mentioned earlier some beaver ponds that hold some beauties as well. I used to hang out with a guy many years ago and we are talking many and he used to be one of the fisheries biologists and at the time it used to be rated the most fish per kilometre and I can see why. It did take a beating in the big flood several years ago but is still pretty good fishing and amazing scenery for a day trip.
x2,

I know the area you are talking about. I went up that way just before the season closed last year and got into a brookie or two.. it was nearly deserted... my only company was a few cows who scared the $#!% outta me... i definitely had the spray in hand and was backing away from the bushes by the creek
I was alone that day, so only walked up the creek about 5-600M past the first bridge on the old road. This year I hope to go in there with a buddy due to the bear population in the area, and hike a little higher and see what I find
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info great stuff.Lookin forward to great days.