Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Default Blood in Africa

When you guys go hunting in Africa do you take a supply of your own blood with you?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Is that a serious question? What's the matter you!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

Of course its a serious question and I know its done as the blood supply in many African countries is not safe.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Banned

Spend the money on gloabl rescue and if you have an accident, they will get you out of there.

If you really think you're going to be needing blood, you might want to consider not going.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Spend the money on gloabl rescue and if you have an accident, they will get you out of there.

If you really think you're going to be needing blood, you might want to consider not going.
Yes they will get you out of there but to where? I have seen a lot of PHs offer the service of blood storage and was just wondering if anyone here takes theirs. I am not taking mine.

If you really think you will never need a blood supply while hunting Africa you need to pull your head outa your butt.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 AM

I think you would be surprised at the quality of health care facilities over there, and furthermore the caliber of doctors that come from that neck of the woods. If you take a look at some of the doctors offices in Canada, you may notice a few with accents, many of which are South African.

Like anything, you get what you pay for. There are probably more than 90% of the population over there that cannot afford the top quality health care offered, but those who can will get taken care of just as good as other countries would.... including clean blood.

I have hunted Africa twice before and will be hunting there again this August. I have/will be employing the following as a medical precaution.

Global Rescue provide services to get aid to me if I do fall ill or my life becomes threatened. They have access to some of the best health care facilities/personnel on the planet and obviously will not send you to a witchdoctor in Swaziland for care. Their main concern and business motto is to get you out of your situation into the best health care facilites available..not today...but yesterday.

Take a look at Global Rescue and MediJet Assist as they offer some similar products. Basically you pick the duration of your stay out of your home, and supplement that with the levels of coverage you require. Manipulate your personal health care plan to reflect that you are covered for emergency out of province/country medical coverage and maybe increase your coverage to a higher level if possible. Your major credit cards offer some coverage as well so look into that as well.

So no, I do not pack any blood with me. I do think about things happening to me when I am over there, but dont let it hang over my head as to not enjoy my time there. Hypothetically speaking if I ever say get stomped by an elephant or break a major artery and need a blood transfuion to keep me alive, I will take any blood over the alternative of dying.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Default Interesting question

One thought to consider is taking a set of hypodermic needles, first aid gear such as sutures, and medications with you, to insure that you aren't exposed to infected equipment if something were to happen. We also used to take a SOS medical evac card when we traveled with work.
If you have access to an expat medical facility, instead of the local facility, the outcome is probably better.
One of the best pieces of advice I could give, is to learn to not touch your face unless you have just scrubbed your hands. Here in the west it isn't a problem if you touch your lips, eyelids, or nose, but there, you will introduce the world into your system. Everything is covered with bacteria, the money is filthy, and there are things you aren't used to. Also, ensure your injections are up to date, and consider Dukoral, especially if you have a Rx plan here in Canada.
The last thought is to be mindful of situations and to assess what could go wrong, and stay safe.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Banned

Thank you for the informative replies. This is just the kind of info I am looking for. I am looking at various hunts right now. While SA seems to be the most economical and civilised I am more interested in going for a buff in places that are a little off the beaten path. Thats this trip anyway. Next trip probably plains game and that one will probably be in SA. When I was a kid we used to holiday in SA before it went off the rails. I understand it has recovered for the most part now. The reason I was asking is my doctor (and good friend) is from SA and he first brought it up with me while having supper at our house. I loked into it and it is not uncommon to see blood storage services offered. I will be using global rescue.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM
sheephunter

No, I never have.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 AM

Not really sure how one would go about talking your own blood that far away .. firstly it has to be collected propelry then must be stored ... has to be refrigerated, so you would need to find a way to keep the blood cooled for a 20 + hr flight, not including lay overs. Secondly, customs and airlines would consider human blood as a potential biohazard ... not sure they would simply let you bring a cooler with a few units of your own blood in it on the plane or into a different country.

I guess you could have your own blood collected by a trusted medical facility in Africa and then stored in case you need it ... still a risk of using contaminated equipment , unless you brought some from home.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLT7 View Post
.One of the best pieces of advice I could give, is to learn to not touch your face unless you have just scrubbed your hands. Here in the west it isn't a problem if you touch your lips, eyelids, or nose, but there, you will introduce the world into your system. Everything is covered with bacteria, the money is filthy, and there are things you aren't used to. .
Everything here is covered in bacteria as well ... only difference is the "things you aren't used to" part.

When I was in SA / Zim a year ago we never really even thought about what would happen if we got sick or had an accidnet .. of course we had our immunizations updated, got some Dukoral and Anti-malarial meds and "health insurrance ... I have to admit on the car ride from Jo'berg to the Safair camp ( 8 hrs total) it was a little bit of a shock to see big, and I mean big ,billboard signs beside the highways near each little town talking about Aids and Tuberculosis ... Aids didn't phase me much based on its transmission methods, but tuberculosis did ... lasted for about 2 hrs then it was back to wonder of being in Africa for the remainder of the trip lol

PS - i think poisonous snakes are fascinating, but being from Canada I don't have alot of experience with them, so am naturally a little afraid of them ... first thing we see when pulling into our Safari camp was a dead 3-4 ft green mamba, had beed killed in the camp by the staff a few hours earlier - nearest medical facility was 90 mins away and they may / may not have anti-venom, personally this worried me more than having an accident that would require blood transfusions lol

Last edited by PBHunter; 06-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

OK so I just went back over and found the stuff i had read years ago about this. The 2 reasons to take blood with you are
1) You have a disease or condition for which you need regular transfusions. The blood supply in africa is not safe and if you do need regular top ups you should take your own blood. There are lots of outfits will type, spin and do whatever for you and the cost is about 300 per L. Travelling with the blood does not seem to be a problem and many tour operators offer cool storage for a fee.
2) You have too much money. It seems that a few years ago taking your own blood became vogue with the dallas safari club types. Not sure if it is still the fashion but it seems it was somewhat commonplace for a while. Especially if going to the real heeby jeeby parts of the Dark Continent.

I found a lot of reccomendations about taking my own sterile suture and transfusion and hypo kits which i may do. Short of the transfusion stuff I pack the rest when mushing dogs anyway.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 PM

I guess one could really sit back and put this whole deal in perspective.

Picture this, if you are out hunting three and a half miles from nowhere in the Zambezi, Selous, Save, or anywhere else and you get hurt, what are the chances you are going to run back to the camp and get your blood? If it is serious enough you will be getting a helicopter or at the very least use your safari operators land cruiser to get you to the closest medical center. This so called medical center may or may not be 180 degrees in the wrong direction from your supply of blood sitting back at your camp.

In my experience getting to a specific hunting area from camp can take quite a while just to get to the point where you get out and walk into the bush after your quarry. Chances are if stuff goes south the last thing you or your safari operator is going to worry about is going back to camp to get your blood supply, as simply put if you need a blood supply you are in a state where you need attention sooner than later.

I fully understand that things can and will go wrong but in my mind you should probably concentrate on the things that will prevent you from getting hurt in the first place rather than having some blood as a contingency plan. Study shot placemnent on your buffalo, lion and practice, practice, practice in all field positions. Learn about the dangerous wildlife such as snakes and spiders and learn to recognize where they may be and what they look like if they present themselves. Wash your hands lots, and carry hand sanitizer. Make sure you have all the proper vaccinations and other medications required to go over there, and make sure you complete your treatments like they are supposed to be. For example dont forget to take your malaria meds for the week after you get back as malaria can lay dormant and not show itself until sometime after you get back.

Dont jump off the truck, climb down it so you dont break your leg. If you are tired STOP and rest to avoid over-exerting yourself or heaven forbid have a heart attack.

I think alot of people who have not gone on a hunt in africa before fall victim to many posts describing the dangers of africa, which more often than not are made by people who have never set foot on African soil. I dont have any stats in front of me or have no ambition to look but i would imagine you have a better chance of needing a blood supply doing many of the things you do here in north america than you could ever run into in africa.

Slow down, be aware of your surroundings, and honestly think about what you are doing. Listen to your PH as he will have forgotten more than you will ever know about his area and its hazards. Above all else, enjoy Africa for the experience it really is by not worrying about the "what if's" as they will certainly hinder this experience. If you worry about anything and everything you will never go anywhere as the paranoia will overcome the desire to go out and experience what this world has to offer.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Maybe take some saline, you can keep that sterile and it doesn't have to be cooled and is not a biohazard. If you need fluids in an emergency and have low blood pressure it would help a little, maybe until you made it back to camp or help came.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Brother of a friend was an airplane crew member and sole survivor of a crash in the Congo area. Guy was in bad shape and several transfusions were given. Recovered from the crash effects, but never felt well and died mysteriously a few years later. Some of his medical specimens were preserved and when AIDS became widely known, were tested. Guess what he died of? Given African AIDS rates and other blood transmitted diseases, I'd have a plan.

Grizz
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Here is something to consider.

How much blood would you take? Your own blood or would you try and buy pooled?

Anything less than 6 units probably wouldn't be worth it to me and if I got involved in something that I neded blood, pretty likely if I needed 6 I'd need 10.

There are a few hundered things that I believe to be higher priority worries when I travel.

Good Luck !

If In Africa, it's a bonus to be group O for numerous reasons... might be neat to find out what group you are for general interest...

Last edited by Arn?Narn.; 06-23-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post

There are a few hundered things that I believe to be higher priority worries when I travel.

Absolutely. I think if a person is that worried, they likely should stay home. Go have fun and enjoy all of what comes with other cultures.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Default African Worries???

Having been on several African Safaris I can understand your concerns! But as been said in previous posts, many are unwarranted and just "Hunter gossip"? Usually from those without any African experience?
S. Africa is very civiized and again, as been said, many of our Canadian Physicians have come from there. Other counties are a little more primitive.
My recommendation is to always carry a small First aid kit whenever and wherever you may be hunting, even here at home!! As for the blood? Know your blood type and the blood type(s) of your hunting partners/PH/etc.Why take blood in a pouch when you may have it "FRESH"? Talk about it and have a plan to utilize their blood (of course you need a match) if & when it may be necessary. Also have an evaculation plan, Helicopters are readily used throughout Africa.
You commented about buffalo then Plains game? Perhaps you should reverse them and get some African experience before tackling a potentially dangerous situation, after all that's why their called Dangerous Game!
Snake bite is likely your most serious threat and time of season will help mitigate that threat as well!
Medjet and such is a great insurance. As well, I always contact my Canadian Consulate with my travel itinery just in case?
Good luck
Old 06-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Absolutely. I think if a person is that worried, they likely should stay home. Go have fun and enjoy all of what comes with other cultures.
X2
I just spent 29 days living out of a backback and sleeping in a pup tent, traveling between Victoria Falls Zimbabwe and Cape Town South Africa via Botswana and Namibia Truly amazing experience. go and enjoy . Be warned though Africa is an addiction. After being there once you will have to go back.