Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Default banff/jasper fishing

I'm returning home to the Jasper area after some years away and looking for any new fishing information as the net has little..Maligne lake is a sure..Patricia lake used to produce big rainbows an the odd big Brookie and if time dip a line into Celestine Lake another lake that used to have big rainbows. Maybe a hike to Dorthy lake or the upper Whirlpool. Lots there I know but maybe someone has been there recently and can say if they even still produce fish. Any info appreciated.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 PM

btt
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Big River I lived and fished there for 14 years LOL Maybe we know each other ???

Steve In GP

Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgoodguy View Post
Big River I lived and fished there for 14 years LOL Maybe we know each other ???
Been living in Jasper for 30+ years, might know both of you guys.
Steve W?

Big River, Maligne is still great fishing, and the ice will be off any day now, if not today. Patricia now has lakers, bulls, brookies, and rainbows. Celestine, I believe, now has burbot and perch. I haven't fished Dorothy in years, but I would suspect that the rainbows may reproduce in there, and bet there are still some good fish in there.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM

Default thanks for the replies

Thanks guys. Yes, some years ago guided for Lorne Currie and earlier for Peter at the old Sandies sports. Intersting that lakers have got into Patricia, but no surprise as the creek between the two had a gate which was easily removed or damaged. Good to hear that the Brookies an Rainbows are still there as they don't compete with lakers so it does round out the fishery somewhat. Used to catch these heavy football rainbows that fought like demons and there were some monster brookies that defied catching. Too bad about Celestine..you only get perch from people who bring live bait into the park, it used to be a great rainbow lake, same with many of the back country lakes before they stopped stocking. I'm looking forward to fishing maligene again, there is no finer fighting fish then the rainbows from her.