Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Years ago i read a book by a pike " trophy hunter " . The short of it was " big pike eat big pike " . Try big , and i mean big , lures that mimic pike .

This guy talked about using five pound pike for bait . I think this was in Europe somewhere .
Guiding up north caught lots and lots of big Pike with 3,4,5 Pounders in their gutt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 05:41 PM

I got too impatient here in alberta, hopped a float plane in northern sask. $1800, coupke hundred beers, and an absolute blast with friends!!! Few 40's, 45's and yes even a 50!! ill try and dig up some pics. If your interested we put a couple groups together every summer. Trip of a lifetime.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:22 PM

terrible quick pic but a great place to start drilling holes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shallowbigfish.jpg (34.5 KB, 87 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
terrible quick pic but a great place to start drilling holes
That's my experience too if there is one hog there will be more around too, they seem to travel feed and scavenge in pairs or more. Case in point a 17 pounder caught by someone I took out and before we could put a new bait down there was a 25 pounder on the second line. Treat the big girls well, the big one caught by my brother was caught by me 2 weeks earlier and by someone else a week after my brothers turn. And yes you get to know individuals by scars and patterns . Also helps with the hunt when you know they will be in the same area sometime during the day/evening. I've had to fish for one individual for 3 weeks solid to finally outsmart her.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-23-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
That's my experience too if there is one hog there will be more around too, they seem to travel feed and scavenge in pairs or more. Case in point a 17 pounder caught by someone I took out and before we could put a new bait down there was a 25 pounder on the second line. Treat the big girls well, the big one caught by my brother was caught by me 2 weeks earlier and by someone else a week after my brothers turn. And yes you get to know individuals by scars and patterns . Also helps with the hunt when you know they will be in the same area sometime during the day/evening. I've had to fish for one individual for 3 weeks solid to finally outsmart her.
Yes agreed they have routes. One area we fish , we've caught the same gal a few times, from when she was a mere hammer handle and now she's a nice 32" gal. But we don't catch her at the other hole/route, but have repeats from that neighborhood. Not sure if it was posted here, but pike have an area they cruise of about 6 kms,, we think sometimes that we've got on time for the train stop but other factors are at play....

And we fish
Old 01-23-2021, 11:21 AM

The most BIG gals out sauntering I've seen is seven and the biggest leads. In threes in the shallow presentation, they move in an angle pattern, lead closest to shore and last just a bit further out.

I love them, underated, abused and not just lumbering food vacuums,,, very stealthy.

To the op, not all Pike hit the same from lake to lake,, some wander off with the bait, others inhale the bait, others know where your hook is,, they inspect their food, so that first bump is a test of you and knowing when to set the hook. I primarily fish three big pike lakes and I have a different rig/manner for each of them as I've learned their behavior in their home waters.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:28 PM

Default pickeral rig

Don,t be a hater, Never did use a gaff, the thought to use it to move the line so we could get the fish out of the hole. Its gone. The bat was to stick in the mouth so it will bite it to help pull out of the water. Be prepared because the 20lb plus in the tent got away because the line broke 2 feet out of the hole and the fish slowly sank back down. It was when he closed his mouth that it would go back down the hole. If we had something stick in its mouth we would have got him. That was with pickeral rig and we had music playing. Also southern Alberta not north. You dont get them everyday to be not prepared.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:23 PM

Nice thread and pics! Thx guys
Old 01-24-2021, 11:50 PM

Default pickeral rig

pickeral rig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2404.jpg (26.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed1.jpg (18.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed2.jpg (38.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20180314_124716_resized.jpg (25.9 KB, 53 views)