Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 PM

Default CWD testing

The CWD testing has about 20% more heads than last year and will be testing over 6000 this year. Currently there are over 1000 left to do.
Camp Wainwright heads are starting to be tested now so can't be much longer.
Good luck if your anxiously waiting.
Doug
Old 02-05-2018, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I've been anxiously awaiting my 2 wainwright Muley bucks from December 1. Haven't received the email or call yet.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 PM

We are still waiting for the results on two deer the were harvested November 25. The heads were placed in the freezer at Cabelas in Calgary Nov 29. I would like to know who authorized a two week shut down at the end of December. I do understand shutting down between Christmas and New Years but not the week before Christmas.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:29 PM

My head went in the Calgary cabelas freezer near last week of Nov.....waiting....
Old 02-06-2018, 07:40 PM

As an update I got results on my MD (2 week of Nov) and Camp Wainwright - black powder moose -- both on Jan 29th. Both were negative.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Nothing here yet either. End of Nov. when they went in the freezer.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 PM

there is another thread on this, trending on here, but sent mine in Nov 17
got the call finally last week. wh tail buck positive in 150 in the sand hills. neighbor deer hunted in same field 20 minutes earlier, his was negative.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:38 AM

So what are all you guys doing with your meat while you wait for your results? For those who debone and freeze it’s no problem but what about the guys who want to take the whole animal in for processing? Normally I debone and freeZe but that’s b/c I like to do all my own processing.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 AM

We do our own processing. All deboned and muscle cut. The burgar is in 5lb bags unground just chunks. All labled with the name and date of the shooter. If one deer tests positive the meat can be identified and thrown out.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg498 View Post
We are still waiting for the results on two deer the were harvested November 25. The heads were placed in the freezer at Cabelas in Calgary Nov 29. I would like to know who authorized a two week shut down at the end of December. I do understand shutting down between Christmas and New Years but not the week before Christmas.
That’s what I was told when I phoned, maybe I need not speak the truth all the time, as it might get some people upset a little, yes it ticked me off too. Maybe something went wrong in lab that needed fixing, who knows ??.. rather safe then sorry.

Also talking today she said it’s not related to food industry with regards to testing, if it was she agrees, yes the results should be done quicker.

there is a low rate of cwd where I hunt like 4 cases, so I’m hitting the fry pan now.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
So what are all you guys doing with your meat while you wait for your results? For those who debone and freeze it’s no problem but what about the guys who want to take the whole animal in for processing? Normally I debone and freeZe but that’s b/c I like to do all my own processing.
Shoot, eat, ask questions later. If can ask questions later, all good!

I process my own too, I get to see before hand what I am about to eat.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the update. Just got results back for my elk Friday and the boy and I are still waiting to hear about our deer.