Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Default Cold weather truck problems

You fellows will know what to do. I have a beater 2008 Ford 250 that I use to walk the dogs every day. It sits out side and I load the dogs and we drive to what ever ground I want to use for our walk. The truck is not plugged in.

It was a bit hard to start the last couple of days, and in the old days I'd have called it carburetor icing, but that is not how they work anymore.

I drove to the road we walk on, and it is only one mile. I don't think that the thermostat had opened yet. I had 2 8 week old pups with me so I didn't run my errand first in town and then walk, I know that would be a better idea.

I turned off the truck, I knew it was a risk, and we all went for out walk. 30 mins later, got all the livestock back in the truck and it turned over fine but no fire.

I could only get it going by squirting ether on the air cleaner (I couldn't get the top off) closing the hood to trap as much ether fumes as I could and then it started.

The tank was 3/4 full. Is there a product that I can add to the fuel that will prevent this? How to get the top off of the air cleaner? What do you think is wrong and what is the best solution?

I know the ether seems to work but I'm not sure that it is reliable and I'm not really sure how it works.

Thanks guys I really appreciate this and so will the puppies.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 PM

Try this. Turn the key on---wait till fuel pump quits pumping --now turn to start position. In the "old" days carburetor icing would only-- occur after the vehicle was running.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 PM

Don’t think your 08 has a carb,(but I could be wrong) my 06 f150 started doing this and it turned out to be a ‘fuel pump driver’ module mounted on rear axle. The back of the unit is cast aluminum mounted directly on the steel and had corroded through the back, frying the circuit board. $130 for the replacement part.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Gas line freezing

You are right, it was gas line freezing that I was think of.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:50 PM

Your fuel wouldnt be freezing (unless you haven't filled up since summer).

There's all kind of antifreeze additives in the fuel this time of year.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 PM

So first off, is the truck diesel or gas? If it is gas, poor 8 ounces of gas line antifreeze into the tank. This will help disperse any water that may be in the lines and freezing up. If the truck is Diesel, add some diesel conditioner to the tank. If you have not filled the tank since summer or are using summer diesel from your farm tanks you could be getting some diesel gelling so get conditioner that works on that too. Keep your gas tank full so you don't get condensation in the tank. Enough condensation causes line freezing.

Second, ether works because it is highly volatile, problem is you can also do serious damage to an engine with it.

Third, whether the truck is diesel or gas, PLUG IT IN. Everything starts better with a little warmth in it. A battery at -30 has lost 60% of its jam, even if new. If the battery is older you may not have much voltage when the engine is dead cold.

Run synthetic 5w30 oil. Way easier on the motor for cold starts.

If you do a lot of short runs, put a piece of carpet in front of the rad to cut down air flow, this will allow the truck to heat faster and stay warmer when idling. If you tow anything heavy take the carpet out first.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 AM

Give it a good drink of Methyl Hydrate, and change the fuel filter and air filter. run it for a few miles to let the methyl do its thing, , a synthetic oil change, 0w or 5w will help in cold starting too. what do the plugs look like?

Get a timer and plug it in.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 AM

Even with fuel injection, water in the fuel can be an issue. Add some injector cleaner/fuel conditioner for gasoline engines to the fuel for a start.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM

Almost all gas today has upto 10% ethanol so very seldom have icing problems these days. A small 200 ml bottle of isoproply gas line antifreeze would amount to peing in the wind to help with deicing of system.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
Don’t think your 08 has a carb,(but I could be wrong) my 06 f150 started doing this and it turned out to be a ‘fuel pump driver’ module mounted on rear axle. The back of the unit is cast aluminum mounted directly on the steel and had corroded through the back, frying the circuit board. $130 for the replacement part.
I had this part go on mine as well - essentially the aluminum casing of the module reacts with the steel on the cross-member and crumbles into dust (bauxite?) Water gets into the internal circuit and it's done. Very easy to change out. Mind you, my symptom was that the engine was surging - it started fine.

Like petew says, swap the fuel filter. Actually, that's the first thing I would do... That's regular maintenance.

Other things to check:
  • Ensure the MAF sensor is clean (YouTube is your friend)
  • Check the IAC valve (Google/YouTube) - this is not cheap, but easy to do. This was an issue with my 4.6l engine, when it wouldn't perform a cold start.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Lots of good stuff above but it may be as simple that you are not running it enough to keep the battery at full charge or it is starting to pooch. Plug it in first thing for an hour before using will prolong its life as well.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:05 PM

Default I REALLY Hate to suggest this, BUT

If your battery is froze, its done.

IF there is water in the injector lines, its froze.

Heat is a wonderful thing. That is why God gave Canadians, ...........

TIGER TORCHES!!!

Really not going to say any more. You probably have one in your garage, if not, you should.

No amount of running will unfreeze a frozen battery, or take the ice out of a gas tank. Methyl is useless after the fact. You simply need heat.

You know Tiger Torches are dangerous by their very nature (5 foot flame). Open Flame, leaking gas, boom.

However, with a 6 foot section of Stove Pipe, and the Torch in one end, it is basically hot air, not direct flame. If you have a Parachute, and I do not, then you have it made to thaw a frozen down truck, North Slope Alaska style.

But getting some heat under the truck will make a world of difference. It will take an hour at least, and 1/2 a 20 pound tank of propane, but it works.

By the way, it is better to use ISOPROPYL Gas Line antifreeze. That stuff will not gel like Methyl based Gas Line antifreeze will. But again, you got to get some heat on the ice in the tank and fuel lines. to let the Isopropyl do its job.

Drewski
Old 02-02-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
If your battery is froze, its done.

IF there is water in the injector lines, its froze.

Heat is a wonderful thing. That is why God gave Canadians, ...........

TIGER TORCHES!!!

Really not going to say any more. You probably have one in your garage, if not, you should.

No amount of running will unfreeze a frozen battery, or take the ice out of a gas tank. Methyl is useless after the fact. You simply need heat.

You know Tiger Torches are dangerous by their very nature (5 foot flame). Open Flame, leaking gas, boom.

However, with a 6 foot section of Stove Pipe, and the Torch in one end, it is basically hot air, not direct flame. If you have a Parachute, and I do not, then you have it made to thaw a frozen down truck, North Slope Alaska style.

But getting some heat under the truck will make a world of difference. It will take an hour at least, and 1/2 a 20 pound tank of propane, but it works.

By the way, it is better to use ISOPROPYL Gas Line antifreeze. That stuff will not gel like Methyl based Gas Line antifreeze will. But again, you got to get some heat on the ice in the tank and fuel lines. to let the Isopropyl do its job.

Drewski
We used to use tiger torches and ducting as you described to thaw out school bus engines in the morning when I did fleet maintenance for Sturgeon cabs in St Albert.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
We used to use tiger torches and ducting as you described to thaw out school bus engines in the morning when I did fleet maintenance for Sturgeon cabs in St Albert.
Haha...memories...used to drive a straight propane powered F150, tiger torch was my best friend when she was a no-go.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:12 PM

Default More info

Sorry about that, the engine is gas fired, the battery is new and it works well.
I am using synthetic oil and the engine turns over easily.

The methyl hydrate and the carpet are going to be my next solutions. I buy the methyl hydrate by the gallon so I can give it a good shot. The last time I had a carpet over the rad was in my 1952 chev in 1962 and I forgot about it and when spring came I blew the rad hose off!

Thanks guys, I think the cold nights and the "warmer" days have produced condensation in the tank, even though I try to keep it full, it needs the alcohol.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:54 AM

Careful of what you put in your gas tank. Some of the older stuff we used to use destroyed the fuel pump in the gas tank. The stuff you use has to say designed for use with fuel injected vehicles. Others will know the up to date thoughts on this better than I.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:57 AM

If you think it's a fuel problem - I'd put Seafoam motor treatment in it, then top it up with premium. Then take it for a good drive on the hiway and get it up to operating temp for 1/2hour or so. I'd change the fuel filter too.