Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Default Low Flow Toilets

Had a Crane low flow for about a year. Not saving any money on water as it doesn't have the capacity to clear the bowl after a large deuce, so you have to flush multiple times. Plus it needs a "wipe" after flushing and forget about using any thick toilet paper such as Charmin.

Caber, what in your opinion is the best model?

FHD
Old 02-01-2018, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up Toto

There's lots of better LF toilets out there. As one example, I've always had great results with the Toto brand.

Liink ... https://www.totousa.com/products/toilets

Selkirk
Old 02-01-2018, 10:53 AM

Low flush toilets is the biggest crock perpetrated on us since the Y2K scam. They DON'T work or save water. I really wonder how much property damage has been done by these things plugging up and overflowing.

The old two flush system, one for pee, the otehr for the heavy loads was a far better solution to saving some water.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Toto's are great, they're about the most difficult W/C to plug. Things to look out for when selecting toilets are the MPA rating (look for a rating of 1000 rather than 800 or 600), also pay attention to the water surface area in the bowl (wider surface area = fewer skid marks). I also recommend elongated bowls, there's no reason for the standard size toilets at all so far as I'm concerned. One does not want their wedding tackle to be hitting porcelain.

American Standard also has a model by the name of Champion that will pass about anything.

I'm not a fan of the dual flush models as they typically have a very small water surface area.

For parents with young kids Kohler has toilet seats called Transitions that have a normal seat and a secondary fold down kids seat built right in. We have two of those in our house
Old 02-01-2018, 11:24 AM

I have an Australian WC, Caroma, Dual Flush. I think it has 6 and 3 liter flushes. It has never plugged and the wife uses some type of a silicon spray in the bowl for the "skid marks".
Low volume water is Good but it still has to move those "logs" out to the sewer main, Mine is about 60 feet away.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Dual flush toilets are called that for a reason. At least 2 flushes each time there’s more than water in the bowel.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 PM

We have Toto Drakes with elongated bowls at our house. When people ask about the toilets, I tell them that if we had cattle roaming our home, the toilets would be up to the job.

We're not big eaters so one flush is plenty. On special occasions, like the day after the 'all you can eat pasta dinner' or Christmas we'll do a bio waste flush and then a paper flush. Never had an issue

It even handled the sister in laws business.

We also try to follow the " If it's yellow, let it mellow" rule
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

We just installed one of these last weekend. Works great! Uses little water, clears the bowl quick and quiet. No problem using thick paper either and being chair height is awesome. Don’t feel like your sitting with your knees up around your ears!

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...?stop_mobi=yes
Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Get a Toto for sure they a great even the low end ones ar good
Never double flush even one you have one of those I feel lighter events lol
Old 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM

THE 1.6L Eljer needs a couple of flushes to work anything more than liquid, and our Auzzie dual flush works real well - but you don't want to remain seated while flushing the big button, or you will get wet - powerful blast!

But when I want to totter down the hallway and disappear for a time, with my Alberta Outdoorsman Magazine tucked under my arm, and settle in for an unhurried, uninterrupted, unbothered session, nothing beats my ancient 6 gallon Simpson Sears thunder-dome. Nothing stops 6 gallons of swirling water!

Water conservation be damned, there are fewer and fewer things that I can revel in, but by beloved ceramic throne is one. It has enough space around it to comfortably rest your forearms on your thighs, the solid wood toilet paper roll holder is within easy reach but not knocking on my knees, the wall mounted magazine rack is within reach and large enough to handle about a years worth of A.O. mags and Lee Valley catalogues, and a nice, big porcelain sink with taps you turn on/off with your wrists or elbows. The only thing missing is an industrial grade exhaust fan - but then the lack of a fan only ensures that this bathroom remains securely mine, and mine alone!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Thumbs up MaP Testing

Far too many people choose a toilet based on outward appearance, and/or price point. This is why so many
people end up buying 'crappy' toilets (pun intended).

If the toilet you're considering has a MaP Test Rating of less than 1000, you may want to look elsewhere.

You can start your search here ... http://www.map-testing.com/performance-toilets-testing/

Selkirk
Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM

This thread is great and comes at a good time, as I’m sitting here pondering that same question, unsure if mine will be able to choke it all down or if there should be a first intermission and a second intermission flush. In all seriousness, get the elongated bowl... or get black porcelain to hide the stains.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 PM

Someone mentioned Eljer, I've never seen an Elger that exceeded 'barely adequate' so far as performance went. Perhaps they've upped their game, but I sure won't be the Guinea pig finding out.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Bought 4 kohler 1.5 or less gallons per flush, we are a tall family i got them in "comfort height" as well as elongated with 3 young boys in the house.

I belive they worked out to be $200 each. Easy to install.

So far so good. only had one issue when our youngest tried to flush an apple.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:21 PM

Been using the American Standard Cadet 3 for a few years now, good low-flow toilet. Think its around 1.5 gpf and has a 3" flush valve. I have nicknamed it the "**** handler"
Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Bought 4 kohler 1.5 or less gallons per flush, we are a tall family i got them in "comfort height" as well as elongated with 3 young boys in the house.

got the same ones, work great, never had a real issue, one got noisy after a couple years, replaced the plunger thing, back to normal. had them about 5 years or so.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Someone mentioned Eljer, I've never seen an Elger that exceeded 'barely adequate' so far as performance went. Perhaps they've upped their game, but I sure won't be the Guinea pig finding out.

Some Eljer toilets now have a Map Test Rating of 1000, but others are still as low as 400. With Eljer, it's best to choose with care!

Eljer toilet MaP Test results ... http://www.map-testing.com/map-searc...=Search#result

Selkirk
Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 AM

Having low flush on upper floors from good non-asian manufacture may work, however never put one in your basement floor bathrooms. Guys something to consider if major sausage will not flush maybe eating to much steak.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post

Having low flush on upper floors from good non-asian manufacture may work, however never put one in your basement floor bathrooms. Guys something to consider if major sausage will not flush maybe eating to much steak.

For basements, some people are putting in "Pressure-Assist" toilets now ... https://www.thespruce.com/pressure-a...-works-1824909

Selkirk
Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Looks like Eljer is now a division of American Standard. I checked their website briefly and noted a couple of terms such as "right height' and "Ever Clean" referring to their glaze which I know to be Am Std terminology. Then right there in the header bar it notes "Eljer by American Standard".
Old 02-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post

These are the ones we are using as well - Use a lot less water than their predecessors, are fairly easy to clean, and most importantly, they can handle what I have to offer - in one flush.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:30 AM

TOTO, the only way to go
Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 AM

Beware of low flow toilets if you have a septic tank. My friend had a sewer back up, so he called the pump out guys. They told him that they LOVE low flow because it causes back ups so often, that 85% of their business was because of low flow--not enough water in the system to help break down the paper and "stuff".
Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
When I hear of Eljer toilets, first thing that comes to mind is a model that came out in ..what the late 80's ... with the square(ish) front and the flush handle on the side.

at the time they were a unique looking toilet, and had good sales because of it .

Certainly a brand I haven't seen much of in several years .
Old 02-03-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
Beware of low flow toilets if you have a septic tank. My friend had a sewer back up, so he called the pump out guys. They told him that they LOVE low flow because it causes back ups so often, that 85% of their business was because of low flow--not enough water in the system to help break down the paper and "stuff".
Does your friend not shower, bathe, do laundry or dishes? I think other sources would provide more than enough water to the tank to break down toilet paper. Sounds like they have other issues.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:05 AM

We have a Toto upstairs, awesome never once plugged or had the need to double flush.

Then downstairs we have a piece of crap low flow toilet, you can only take a #1 in it, if you have a deuce you will always leave a beached whale behind, then you need a couple flushes to get rid of it and then another to clean the damn thing. Not saving much water if you have to flush 3-4 times after taking a dump.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:48 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Horse Excrement !

I just checked with my close friend who has had a septic system for the past 20+ years, with two low flow toilets for the same period of time. He's Never had the problem you describe, and neither has any of his neighbours.

CNP, this is where you come in. This is definitely Fake News!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Does your friend not shower, bathe, do laundry or dishes? I think other sources would provide more than enough water to the tank to break down toilet paper. Sounds like they have other issues.
Of course they shower/bathe, do laundry and dishes. Please do not be obtuse.

This happened after a weekend family reunion where upwards of 50 people were using the toilet for 3 days, and no one was doing laundry at that time.

I only quoted what the pump truck operator said. "Not enough water in the septic tank"
Old 02-03-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Of course they shower/bathe, do laundry and dishes. Please do not be obtuse.

This happened after a weekend family reunion where upwards of 50 people were using the toilet for 3 days, and no one was doing laundry at that time.

I only quoted what the pump truck operator said. "Not enough water in the septic tank"

I respectfully disagree.

The only time there’s “not enough water in the septic tank” is when it gets emptied, or if the solids have built up enough that there is no physical room for water.
The chamber of a septic tank where the solids are fills up and stays full, with the liquid constantly spilling over into the other chamber.
Having less water run through it is actually a benefit, as it doesn’t wash away the bacteria that breaks down the solids.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Toto's are great, they're about the most difficult W/C to plug. Things to look out for when selecting toilets are the MPA rating (look for a rating of 1000 rather than 800 or 600), also pay attention to the water surface area in the bowl (wider surface area = fewer skid marks). I also recommend elongated bowls, there's no reason for the standard size toilets at all so far as I'm concerned. One does not want their wedding tackle to be hitting porcelain.

American Standard also has a model by the name of Champion that will pass about anything.

I'm not a fan of the dual flush models as they typically have a very small water surface area.

For parents with young kids Kohler has toilet seats called Transitions that have a normal seat and a secondary fold down kids seat built right in. We have two of those in our house
I agree with Toto. We replaced all ours with the Eco Drake. Only thing I would of changed is all long bowls for comfort.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin