Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Dig out your CT money

Just went to the McLeod trail Canadian Tire to drain my wallet, saw some signs indicating a reloading department was on the way. Asked one of the staffers and yes...it's true. In the next couple weeks they will be opening what I was told will be "the largest reloading department in southern Alberta".

I left that place with a smile...
Zeke
Old 01-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Good for CT to recognize the space vacated by WS. Hope they're competitive and can keep Cabelas honest.

Competition is a good thing.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:45 PM

Fantastic!!!! I sure hope one of the Edmonton stores does the same thing. I would volunteer to work there for free to help them set it up.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:51 PM

CT is stepping up, at the Lloyd gun show they had a large store set up I was surprised to see them there.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Just went to the McLeod trail Canadian Tire to drain my wallet, saw some signs indicating a reloading department was on the way. Asked one of the staffers and yes...it's true. In the next couple weeks they will be opening what I was told will be "the largest reloading department in southern Alberta".

Zeke
All good news, for sure!

With WS gone, I'm not surprised the Calgary, Macleod Trail CT management decided to step up to the plate and fill the gap. That CT store is the most 'pro gun' in the entire chain.

Unfortunately, one (1) CT store will Not be able to keep Cabelas honest ... we must govern ourselves accordingly.

Selkirk
Old 01-28-2018, 12:59 PM

Had a look at the Canadian tire in south Edmonton common a week ago.
Their gun counter is at least as long as wss was. And lots of hunting stuff they never carried before.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:08 PM

I was told the same thing in the south Lethbridge CT
Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
All good news, for sure!

That CT store is the most 'pro gun' in the entire chain.

Unfortunately, one (1) CT store will Not be able to keep Cabelas honest ... we must govern ourselves accordingly.

Selkirk

You should visit the Rocky Mountain House location Selkirk. Knowledgeable and "available" staff and a surprisingly good inventory of some pretty high end rifles. Fierce, Montana, MOA, Kimber, Weatherby Mark v and Sako to name a few.

Blew me away to see $3,500 - $ 5,000 guns in a CT.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:07 PM

remember back in the day we used to buy all of our rifles,canoes,tools and camping equipment from SEARS. Miss those days
Old 01-28-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Their gun counter is at least as long as wss was. And lots of hunting stuff they never carried before.
That one is sizeable but the firearms filling the racks are pretty run of the mill. If you've got that much space, maybe a displace some of the duplicate Savages and Mossberg's for a smattering of Kimbers, Mausers, Sako's, Sauer's, etc. The rest of the sporting goods section is a considerable size, practically half of an entire WSS.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Zeke

This is great news.....

I hope they are able to get powder in as well?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Banned

That's great news. The franchise owner of that CT has always been very hunt friendly.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Doesn’t the South Edmonton Common store carry some reloading components? I thought they used to sell powder and primers. Haven’t been in there for quite some time though. So not too positive what else they might have. They do have quite the gun counter there though.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
remember back in the day we used to buy all of our rifles,canoes,tools and camping equipment from SEARS. Miss those days

Ours came from Macleod's stores in Sask.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Doesn’t the South Edmonton Common store carry some reloading components? I thought they used to sell powder and primers. Haven’t been in there for quite some time though. So not too positive what else they might have. They do have quite the gun counter there though.
Piles of componsts at the Ft Mac CT!
338 Lapua, 6.5 Creed brass among others lots of bullets dies AND powder
If a guy runs out between bi- yearly orders it's nice to know it is there .
Cat
Old 01-28-2018, 03:57 PM

Good to hear that CT is stepping up and filling the void that the collapse of Wholesale Sports left.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Find it interesting they support hunting but they cater to the Anti trapping crowd when they were asked to take all fur products out of their store! Just don't make sense
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Default Yup, powder

I asked specifically about powder and primers and they are carrying both...time will tell.

Now for our part we need to support these guys. if we want competition, we need to feed it...otherwise it dies

What I really appreciate is that they keep knowledgeable staff (as best as they can in retail)...even the gal at the til knew all about hunting licenses last year.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Banned

I was also told McLeod trail an southland location is getting reloading supplies. Got 1lb of powder from shawnessy location, Hodgdon LVR for $20, some IMR powders were on sale as well.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Find it interesting they support hunting but they cater to the Anti trapping crowd when they were asked to take all fur products out of their store! Just don't make sense
Good point.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

CT are owner operated so depends on owner if he wants guns in store or not and if he only wants a few or wants big section. My guess is farther away from Cabelas the more likely to have guns and more of them.
They can compete the further away they are since u will pay I bit more to by local.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:07 PM
Banned

CT leduc has a really good gun selection, and Windermere CT is picking it up too.
Got a smoking deal on a x-bolt hunter .270 for $700 new at CT leduc last summer.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

Zeke
Good to see a Canadian giant givin the yanks a run fer their money, they do have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to compete with them
Old 01-28-2018, 06:39 PM

Shawnessy Canadian tire has a small reloading section swell I wish it would get a bit bigger.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 PM

Awesome, hope one of the Edmonton area stores follows suit. Cabelas isn't a bad store but the reloading section is a joke. I went a couple weeks ago, needed .444 dies and bullets, .375 bullets, .35 cal bullets and some .30 cal flatnose bullets. Was hoping to find some of the Hornady .307 brass or loaded ammo, but wasn't too hopeful. I was also looking for a low fixed power scope for the. 444. I went home with absolutely nothing. Shoulda just gone to P&D, but at Cabelas I can drop the wife off and take my time. Don't think I'll bother with them anymore.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 PM

They will also special order factory loads not on the shelf. Other places said it couldn't be done.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:40 PM

Spruce Grove CT is not in the gun game at all. I find that very strange what with the location, (farm and country folk) and a huge trading area west of them. Also not a gun store for miles.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Banned

Talked to a gun counter guy at Cabelas and he said new bosses Bass Pro want them to run a lot of their stock down and have some items not reordered.
Must going to bring in different manufacturer items . Lots a yellow tag clearance items on shelves some good prices on ammo that have been yellow tagged.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Piles of componsts at the Ft Mac CT!
338 Lapua, 6.5 Creed brass among others lots of bullets dies AND powder
If a guy runs out between bi- yearly orders it's nice to know it is there .
Cat
I was in there yesterday, thats a great store
Old 01-28-2018, 10:41 PM

Folks that own the Southland store never quit on guns all the way thru, since from the time PAL's were req'd, every other CT I ever saw did quit on guns in that period up til registry got tossed. They were selling high end stuff most of the way thru as well, I remember seeing Blaser and Kimber and etc in there, pretty decent selection for its size, been trimmed back some since then though. Last time I looked, they had a fair selection still though. Be interesting to see what they bring in.