Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 06:25 AM

Default Streams/Creeks in/around Edmonton?

Hi everyone, I started fly fishing a couple years ago and have been to a lot of stocked ponds in and around Edmonton. This year I would like to start exploring more streams, creeks and doing a lot more wading. My problem is I dont know where to start. I have been to the red deer river and the browns cannot compare to anything around the city. I do not mind driving out of town but would prefer some suggestions withing 1-2 hours of Edmonton or any close places so I could go regularly. Any recommendations on where to start/go would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM

Without getting too specific, there's lots of streams around Nordegg and Robb. Grab a book. "Flyfishing the Trunk Road" I think it's called. It will give you a much better idea on where to start than most could explain
Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM

Where Passthru mentioned is where I started adventuring last year. Many many opportunities to through a line in around there with some pleasant surprises. Especially great for camping! Not sure it’s quite close enough for day trips if that’s what you want to do. Tough call though. I drive 4 hours each way for ski day trips so depends what your willing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Without getting too specific, there's lots of streams around Nordegg and Robb. Grab a book. "Flyfishing the Trunk Road" I think it's called. It will give you a much better idea on where to start than most could explain
Book is out of print, hard to find at a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.ca/Albertas-Trout...tas+trunk+road
Old 01-30-2018, 08:55 AM

I worked in Edson one summer and picked up a fly rod for the first time. There are lots of cool grayling streams around there that are great to learn on. Could be a good place to check out! Grayling are great for learning if you find a creek with many! Although getting tougher and tougher to find!

I worked smaller streams first then graduated to larger rivers. That progression worked great for me! You can get away from other anglers and usually catch more, but smaller fish. It was a good way for me to begin to learn how to read water, see what bugs are up to, and see where the fish hide! Also to wade carefully to not scare fish.

Other than that, I would also head to the trunk road, there a few books as mentioned. I have one by Barry Mitchell and one by Jim Mclennan.

Anyways, that's what worked for me! Maybe it will work for you too!

https://www.amazon.ca/Trout-Streams-...s=jim+McLennan

https://www.amazon.ca/Albertas-Trout...rta+trunk+road
Old 02-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Pick up a copy of Barry Mitchel's fishing guide and start exploring. Lots of fun finding new places.

Tags
edmonton alberta