Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2017, 04:08 PM

Question Help with value of a smith and Wesson model 29-2

I was wondering if someone around here had some knowledge of the value of s and w model 29's

I have a model 29-2 with a n4xxxxx serial number. I believe it is a manifacture date of 1977 or 78. Gun is 8ish/10 condition. Just some minor lightening of the bluing in one spot on barrel. It definitley has been shot but barrel appears to still be in very good shape.

All I really know about it is what I paid for it 15 or 20 years ago.

I've been tossing around the idea of selling it as it hasn't left my safe in the last 7 or 8 years but don't know what it would be worth or if I should just hang on to it.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 PM

Default 29-2

Barrel length , grips and finish would help in pricing.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:35 AM

I've seen them listed at $1000 for an ordinary blued 6 inch or 8 3/8 inch gun in good shape but a rare 6 1/2 inch barreled gun could bring at least twice that much if it's nice. A 3, 4 or 5 inch barrel is a hard sell here since it's prohibited and that's reflected in the value as well. I haven't seen a 10 5/8 inch barred gun for sale in a long time. Like a lot of old revolvers, if it's unfired and unopened then you can almost name your price!
I wouldn't let my 8 3/8 inch -2 go for less than $950 and it's in very nice condition.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I've seen them listed at $1000 for an ordinary blued 6 inch or 8 3/8 inch gun in good shape but a rare 6 1/2 inch barreled gun could bring at least twice that much if it's nice. A 3, 4 or 5 inch barrel is a hard sell here since it's prohibited and that's reflected in the value as well. I haven't seen a 10 5/8 inch barred gun for sale in a long time. Like a lot of old revolvers, if it's unfired and unopened then you can almost name your price!
I wouldn't let my 8 3/8 inch -2 go for less than $950 and it's in very nice condition.
Barrel length was 6 1/2" until 1979, then they switched to 6". The 29-2s were all 6 1/2" until 79 and are quite common (1961-79 for that length), and 6" from 79-81, in 1982 the 29-3 was introduced with unrecessed cylinder to cut costs. 5" are very uncommon, but are restricted, not prohib. I have 3 model 27-2s with 5" but no 29s...a mint unfired 29-2 with 6 1/2" barrel with box and papers is running around $1200-1400 depending how bad somebody wants it. If you want to pay more than that call me, I've got a blue and a nickel I'd be happy to sell you at a premium.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 AM

I'd put a conservative $800 since the OP said it was an 8 out of 10. As Twisted indicated, there's nothing special about a 29-2, unless it's a rare barrel length. I have a 4", 6 1/2", and 8 3/8" 29-2 with presentation cases. Picked up a 29-3 with a 3" barrel, but I have a feeling it was re-barrelled at one point. I haven't shot a 5" 29, but do have a 27 5" that I've shot. I like shooting the 6 1/2" 29 better than the 5" 27. Feels more balanced. Heck, my wife even shot it and was able to handle it. My granddaddy 5 screw pre-29 is also a 6 "1/2. Wish I had the provenance for it as it was a prospector's gun. The 6 1/2" barrel was preferred by most prospectors because it tamed the 44 mag to a manageable recoil. Apparently, the 4" was a beast (I can attest to that) and the 8 3/8 was just too long to take out of the holster.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:31 AM

I stand corrected on the prohib barrel length, not sure what I was thinking on that commonly known fact.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
I'd put a conservative $800 since the OP said it was an 8 out of 10. As Twisted indicated, there's nothing special about a 29-2, unless it's a rare barrel length. I have a 4", 6 1/2", and 8 3/8" 29-2 with presentation cases. Picked up a 29-3 with a 3" barrel, but I have a feeling it was re-barrelled at one point. I haven't shot a 5" 29, but do have a 27 5" that I've shot. I like shooting the 6 1/2" 29 better than the 5" 27. Feels more balanced. Heck, my wife even shot it and was able to handle it. My granddaddy 5 screw pre-29 is also a 6 "1/2. Wish I had the provenance for it as it was a prospector's gun. The 6 1/2" barrel was preferred by most prospectors because it tamed the 44 mag to a manageable recoil. Apparently, the 4" was a beast (I can attest to that) and the 8 3/8 was just too long to take out of the holster.
I agree, roughly around $800 as described, + or - $50 maybe for condition.

I really like shooting my 5" 27-2 and 5 screw pre number 357....I find they balance really good for me. I also like shooting the 6 1/2" 629 Hunter, kind of comparing apples and bazookas though .

The one that I am waiting anxiously for warm weather to shoot is my just acquired Model 657 with 107mm barrel, an 80s gun in .41 Magnum. I already took the wooden target grips off and put some squishy finger groove Pachmayers on it, because I know it is going to have some SNAP! to it. Should be exciting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171227_132303.jpg (38.4 KB, 21 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-30-2017, 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

You might see this one show up in the buy and sell in the next while.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I agree, roughly around $800 as described, + or - $50 maybe for condition.

I really like shooting my 5" 27-2 and 5 screw pre number 357....I find they balance really good for me. I also like shooting the 6 1/2" 629 Hunter, kind of comparing apples and bazookas though .

The one that I am waiting anxiously for warm weather to shoot is my just acquired Model 657 with 107mm barrel, an 80s gun in .41 Magnum. I already took the wooden target grips off and put some squishy finger groove Pachmayers on it, because I know it is going to have some SNAP! to it. Should be exciting!

I had an M-57 with a 6 inch barrel that I purchased new in the mid eighties. I put the "squishy finger groove Pachmayers" on it and I always found that I shot it better than any of the M-29's I've owned. The .41 is a hand full for sure but not any worse than the 44 mags, the shorter barrel will be interesting!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I had an M-57 with a 6 inch barrel that I purchased new in the mid eighties. I put the "squishy finger groove Pachmayers" on it and I always found that I shot it better than any of the M-29's I've owned. The .41 is a hand full for sure but not any worse than the 44 mags, the shorter barrel will be interesting!
Yup, I'm looking forward to it. I also have a 6" Model 57, and it's not bad to shoot (not much different than the .44 Mag really). I have a GP100 with the 4.25 barrel and notice quite a difference shooting that in .357 Mag and the Model 686 with 6" barrel, so I expect shooting the .41 Mag in a 4" will be enlightening. Recoil doesn't perturb me much as long as the grips are fitting nicely, I don't much care for stock S&W target grips, and pretty much all my revolvers that I shoot regularly have finger grooves, either wood or squishy Pachmayer/Hogue grips.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yup, I'm looking forward to it. I also have a 6" Model 57, and it's not bad to shoot (not much different than the .44 Mag really). I have a GP100 with the 4.25 barrel and notice quite a difference shooting that in .357 Mag and the Model 686 with 6" barrel, so I expect shooting the .41 Mag in a 4" will be enlightening. Recoil doesn't perturb me much as long as the grips are fitting nicely, I don't much care for stock S&W target grips, and pretty much all my revolvers that I shoot regularly have finger grooves, either wood or squishy Pachmayer/Hogue grips.
Have to agree regarding the target grips. My 4" Model 19 that I shoot on a regular basis sport a pachmayer. I have one on standby for all my 29's. My one 27 is currently sporting a really nice S&W finger groove wooden grips. I'll try and get a pic up later. You will definitely be "enlightened" by the shorter barrel. My 4" 29 sucked with the target grips.