Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-25-2017, 10:49 PM

Default Rimfire Dilemma

So I finally saved up enough cash and gift cards from Santa to go and buy another one of my wants.

I already have a CZ 455 in 22LR, this is why I call it a want.

I am debating between a Ruger 10/22, or a Henry lever action. I like both I want both but can't get everything I want at once.

So tell me which way you would go and why?
To throw in a third factor if a spring for the Henry should I stick to another 22LR or step up to the 22 mag.

Thanks again as always.

Homes Outside
Old 12-25-2017, 10:51 PM

stick to 22LR, 22 mag is annoyingly expensive for a plinker

For my money I'd go henry, just a nicer quality gun that's a lot more fun to run.

The ruger has a lot more aftermarket stuff available though

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-25-2017, 10:54 PM

I have a beauty Browning BL-22 that hardly gets used....my Ruger 10/22 (stainless and grey laminate) got a Volquartsen complete trigger assembly, and I put 100x as many rounds down it. That's the way to go imo. But spring for the complete trigger assembly (you can upgrade later)...TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 PM

I would agree with Canuck there. I only have a Ruger in 22LR, but I can imagine the Henry or the Browning being left at home 9 out of 10 times. I would also agree with Flieguy about the annoyingly expensive part about the 22 mag.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:06 PM

I had a 10/22, traded it away. I've traded through a lot of rimfires, but my favorites have been a browning SA22 and ruger american rimfire compact

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-25-2017, 11:45 PM

I've had a fair few .22's and now I'm down to a cz 452 American and a cil/anschutz 310. The 310 wouldn't be sold for love or money because my old man passed it down but the cz is the only one that leaves the safe these days.
I don't like any tube fed .22's because they're to slow to reload. The 10/22 is great for high volume shooting but mine shot about 1-1.5" groups at 50 yards. That wasn't accurate enough to head shoot chickens consistently and barely good enough for gophers so it went down the road after about ten years.

If it were me choosing between those two options I would take the 10/22 because of the ability to use magazines but I guess it depends what your using it for and how much you like lever actions.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:54 PM

I have had several 22s.

My favorite by far is the browning bl22
Thousands of gophers have been sighted down its barrel along with a couple hundred beaver.

I have a ruger 10/22 takedown with the synthetic stock that hardly ever sees the field due to the fact that it is just not accurate enough to be reliable.

After sitting for a couple hours waiting for beavers and then not hitting them it is really disappointing.

Only accurate guns are fun and interesting.

That BL22 is a great fit and amazing for accuracy.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Smile I have both

I love the Ruger, it has a good scope and shoots very well. The Henry I find a bit heavy and it doesn't have a scope so I shoot it much less.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

While you’re in the store, look at the Remington 597 as well. I have sold or am selling my 10/22’s and I have replaced them with the 597’s. The big thing for me was not having a last shot hold open on the bolt with the Ruger. That just seems silly not to incorporate that in to the design.

That being said, the Ruger shoots well, just not as accurate as my 597’s have been. All the Rugers I have had have cycled flawlessly, felt pretty comfortable, and have never had an issue. They are also the gold standard for the aftermarket to make them better. You can build a 10/22 without using a single Ruger part.
There were issues with magazines with the early Remington’s but those have been fixed.

My vote would be Ruger from the two you listed but to look at the Remington if it’s an option for you.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Banned

Rugers are too bulky.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 AM

In over twenty years, my 10/22 has seen many, many rounds. It has been reasonably accurate and ultra reliable. The Henry has become our favourite .22 over the last few years, though. My son and I have to share the Henry as we both want to shoot it. The Henry isn’t great to shoot off the bench because of the lever but it shines out in the gopher fields. The painted receiver is a little on the cheap side but everything else about the rifle is great. It is a very accurate little rifle. The action is smooth and I appreciate knowing that the chamber is empty by just looking at the decocked lever. If you are supervising a novice shooter, that is a definite plus.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Banned

I have 2 of the higher end savage .22’s (500-700 range) both stainless fluted (one spiral and one standard flute) one has a funky laminated thumb hole stock and the other is a normal thumb hole stock. I would put either of them up against any .22 on the market for accuracy and looks. Ive admired the Henry lever for a while now but never shot one yet. I tried really hard to like 2 different 10/22’s that I had bought but both lacked accuracy and left soon after i bought them.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:43 PM

I have no experience with the Henry rifle but I have shot along side a friend who had a tube fed Browning and it looked like a pain. I could drop the clip out of my 10/22 in a second while it took him considerably longer.

I have the Ruger heavy barrel and it isn't bad for accuracy, with it's favourite ammo it will give groups in the 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yards. Okay for gophers but not good enough for chickens. So i bought a quality bolt action and with it's favourite (expensive) ammo it will get down into the .2 and .3 range.

The 10/22 is more fun to shoot but if I want accuracy, I have to go to the bolt action. Sounds like you have a good bolt action, between your other two choices, I would go with the Ruger.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:59 PM

I’m at the opposite end, if you already have a 22lr step up and get a 22mag. World of difference performance wise and if you are looking for something else just for fun that in a Henry would be the ticket. Yah it costs more but you already have the 22lr for mass shooting sessions, you wouldn’t take your 22 250out to put a few hundred rounds in a day so it’s. It that hard to jot take a 22 mag out and not do the same. My theory anyways I’m sure others will digress as they like rum fires for volume shooting.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 PM

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
While you’re in the store, look at the Remington 597 as well. I have sold or am selling my 10/22’s and I have replaced them with the 597’s. The big thing for me was not having a last shot hold open on the bolt with the Ruger. That just seems silly not to incorporate that in to the design.

That being said, the Ruger shoots well, just not as accurate as my 597’s have been. All the Rugers I have had have cycled flawlessly, felt pretty comfortable, and have never had an issue. They are also the gold standard for the aftermarket to make them better. You can build a 10/22 without using a single Ruger part.
There were issues with magazines with the early Remington’s but those have been fixed.

My vote would be Ruger from the two you listed but to look at the Remington if it’s an option for you.
I have a 597 with heavy barrel in an archangel after market stock and I love it, such a fun gun to shoot that I picked up a second one when wholesale sports was going out of business, they are reliable and accurate as can be....you have the option of third party stocks and accessories...my biggest beef with the 597 is the 30 round magazines suck and don’t function 99% of the time ... the 10 round magazines are awesome though...
Old 12-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieB View Post
I have a 597 with heavy barrel in an archangel after market stock and I love it, such a fun gun to shoot that I picked up a second one when wholesale sports was going out of business, they are reliable and accurate as can be....you have the option of third party stocks and accessories...my biggest beef with the 597 is the 30 round magazines suck and don’t function 99% of the time ... the 10 round magazines are awesome though...
There are very few making aftermarket parts. There are a couple of stocks available, a couple of magazines (the new factory 10 rounds are great, the new 30's are supposed to be better than the old). There are a few parts available for the trigger, and Volquartsen does some parts in the bolt group. Trying to find aftermarket barrels is quite challenging.

One thing I did with mine was take the trigger group out and flip the spring around. It "feels" like it lightened the trigger up because of the different angles it sits at now. I can't verify that though, I don't have a pull gauge so it may be all in my head.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Banned

Since you already have a CZ bolt chambered in .22 LR. If it were me, I'd look at a Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR. I've recently handled one (not the engraved model), and boy or boy! are they sweet. I have a standard .22 Henry Lever, if I didn't, that Golden Boy would come home with me.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/gold...d-3rd-edition/
Old 12-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Banned

One of my favorite guns is a Savage .22WMR that I se to practice long range shooting, 200+ metres.
I have a number of .22LR, but my favorite for a fun afternoon plinking is my Henry. It looks real nice, shoots well out to 50yds (have a Marbles tang sight...easily shoots an inch at 50m).
In my opinion the 10-22 is the Toyota Corolla of guns...everyone has one, it does the job...and is absolutely soul-less.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:22 PM

Default 10/22

Well I went, I saw, and I left. With a new Ruger 10/22 combo with a Cabela's 3-9 scope. For the price I couldn't complain. Next time round it will be the Henry. Always the next time.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I think I will enjoy a couple of fun afternoons with it.

Thanks again to all for the responses.

Homes Outside
Old 12-26-2017, 05:24 PM

Pretty tough to beat any rifle chambered for 17 Hmr!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-26-2017, 07:50 PM

I had a pump Henry in 22 mag. Was not ejecting shell so had to take it apart. The interior parts look like they were cast out of pot metal in someone's back yard could not believe the poor quality. Finish on receiver chipped off very easily.Now Henry sent the part required quickly so their service is great, but I will never buy another Henry again. Maybe the Golden Boy is better quality. I would rather buy a Browning BL or a Winchester any day in lever. Have Savage 93 bolt, SS and laminated stock, in both 17 and 22 mag.,both accurate and well made. Just got a Savage Bmag in 17 wsm, quality is equal to that Henry.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:11 AM

Imo Henry levers feel awkward. My cousin has a golden boy in 22lr and it's no where near as accurate as my marlin golden A. The Henry seems not to balance as well in my arms. The Browning lever is a sweet little 22 as well. As far as which one to get...... pick the one you like the best while in-store and plan to get the other one some day in the future. Can't go wrong with either. My marlin with peep sights is more accurate than my 10-22 and almost as fast once you learn how to run the lever:-)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Run the 10/22 because you will never get bored with all the additional items that are available to trick out or personalize.
Have one for over twenty plus years...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
As far as which one to get...... pick the one you like the best while in-store and plan to get the other one some day in the future.
The best suggestion in this thread.
All of the guns mentioned will shoot accurately and if properly cared for never wear out. Go to a gun store that will let you play with them for awhile and pick the one that feels best and has the look you like.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 AM

I would not buy a Henry. They have a lot of plastic polymer parts in that action. I threw mine away.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homes Outside View Post
Well I went, I saw, and I left. With a new Ruger 10/22 combo with a Cabela's 3-9 scope. For the price I couldn't complain. Next time round it will be the Henry. Always the next time.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I think I will enjoy a couple of fun afternoons with it.

Homes Outside
Congrats on the new rifle! The 10/22s are fun guns to plink with and I think everyone eventually buys one to see what all the fuss is about. I didn't chime in earlier on this thread because my sensibilities are very bolt-gun-centric...and you weren't asking about a new one of those.

Remember to try as many ammo types as you can in the gun to see what it shoots best. I seem to recall mine liked CCI "Standard Velocity" best. Let us know how she shoots!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_of_6 View Post
I have had several 22s.

My favorite by far is the browning bl22
Thousands of gophers have been sighted down its barrel along with a couple hundred beaver.

I have a ruger 10/22 takedown with the synthetic stock that hardly ever sees the field due to the fact that it is just not accurate enough to be reliable.

After sitting for a couple hours waiting for beavers and then not hitting them it is really disappointing.

Only accurate guns are fun and interesting.

That BL22 is a great fit and amazing for accuracy.
Interesting take on it. I agree that when shooting rimfires, accuracy is key, and imo the trigger is the most important part of accuracy. My BL-22 has a trigger that is so heavy, you squeeze, and squeeze, and finally pull the damn thing, and it goes off and you maybe hit that gopher at 50 yards. Because of the nature of the lever triggers, gun smiths generally don't want to touch them, I tried.

I'm not big on the take down 10/22, I much preferred the meatier and heavier laminate stock with stainless. Was ok to start with. Then, I put the Volquartsen trigger on my 10/22, and a nylon recoil buffer, and voila! I have a .22 LR that is very accurate, easily under an inch at 50 yards (probably more like 3/4"), and not much over at 100. The stock Ruger trigger isn't great, but with the Volquartsen lower as a drop in replacement, you get a match grade trigger and extended mag release in one. Love mine. I do love the BL-22 as well, but for more sentimental reasons as I got it from my uncle before he passed. It's a beautiful rifle, but that trigger sucks.

Quote:

Homes Outside
Congrats on the new shooter. Really, look for that Volquartsen trigger group as your first upgrade, it will make the world of difference. I bought mine here, but don't know if they ship to Canada anymore (*they don't. Prophet River could probably get this for you). This is the unit, it is worth every penny x 2!

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=R1A

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-27-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 PM

Default Ready to fire

Well got the 10/22 all cleaned up hoping to go shoot some groups tomorrow.

Anyone ever shoot in this kind of -30 tomorrow again I think. How does it affect 22 LR and the operation of a semi auto?

Thanks as always for the insight and information

Homes Outside
Old 12-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

Run it with a VERY light coating of oils. As was mentioned in another thread, Remington’s DriLube is great for this situation. Clean everything off with a degreaser and spray some of the DriLube in. It dries like a wax/Teflon coating.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Well got the 10/22 all cleaned up hoping to go shoot some groups tomorrow.

Anyone ever shoot in this kind of -30 tomorrow again I think. How does it affect 22 LR and the operation of a semi auto?

Thanks as always for the insight and information

Homes Outside
I open the patio door, shoot from inside....on cold days....wife is shopping of course....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...