Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM

Does anyone know what the harvested number of elk were for this week. Any better than last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebag View Post
I'm going as a Sherpa with some friends for the week of Feb 5. Looking forward to it. We were their in November and had a good time.
I'll see ya there.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:54 PM

I just got home from the hunt, we didn't hunt the last day today. Total must have been around 20/25 elk taken. We got two Cow tags filled out of three so it was a successful hunt.

We only saw one herd of elk, didn't see any other elk at all and it was the big herd that folks are talking about. There were some guys moving in on the herd when we got there so we backed away to let them do their thing as they got there first. Then we decided to do a big loop around the north of the herd in case they happened to run our way when the shots started. It was a big loop and not easy for us old farts but we high tailed it and eventually got pretty close to the elk. We saw other hunters walking away so figured they must have bull tags and we decided to go for it. We walked directly at the herd and eventually were close enough to shoot, I was surprised that it worked but it did. I had a great shot but there was a truck directly in line with me so couldn't shoot and I had to book it over the next hill to get a safer shot, I'm lucky I didn't lose my chance with the truck sitting there. I could have shot 10 elk but only had one tag so that's what I shot.

It seemed like a couple guys were shooting into the herd from a very long ways away, maybe it was an illusion just based on where I was looking from. If it wasn't an illusion, hopefully they read this and think a bit about that act.

The hunt was very well run by the DND fellows and we submitted our heads for CWD testing. Would I go back? Probably but I might wait a couple years to see what the numbers have done, 3000 elk can disappear very well on that base.
I wish we could have picked up sheds as I found about a dozen and two very nice whole heads that might have died of natural causes and one was a 7x7. All in all a great way to spend a few days in January after Christmas.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 PM

Anyone out there this week? How are things looking?

I am out there next week with two others, we have 2 cow tags.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 PM

Me too heading out next week for the last season hunt .
One bull tag to fill !
Old 01-30-2018, 07:14 PM

Default .338

Is the .338 banned all together or just the .338 lapua I was there in November and I remember something on the form about your rifle stating something about banned caliber for the base. Does anyone recall ?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Is the .338 banned all together or just the .338 lapua I was there in November and I remember something on the form about your rifle stating something about banned caliber for the base. Does anyone recall ?
Just the Lapua for some reason. I put my 338 Win Mag on the paperwork two weeks ago and no-one batted an eye.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 PM

Default .338

Perfect that's what I plan on taking .338 win mag. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:42 AM

Heard many stories of guys seeing nothing on their hunts.
Would be nice to see Suffield have one or two more season at the end ,calling all hunter back for a week that did not shot anything or could not make there hunt for some reason.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Would be nice to see Suffield have one or two more season at the end ,calling all hunter back for a week that did not shot anything or could not make there hunt for some reason.
Sounds good...then they can have a February season province wide for all the guys that didn't kill their deer, elk and moose in the fall...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I have 3 different groups of friends that have been on the base the last 3 weeks and have been into elk every single day. If guys aren't willing to get out of the truck and hike a few Km your not going to get an elk. If you take the time to put some KM on its one of the most exciting and fulfilling hunts ever.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
I have 3 different groups of friends that have been on the base the last 3 weeks and have been into elk every single day. If guys aren't willing to get out of the truck and hike a few Km your not going to get an elk. If you take the time to put some KM on its one of the most exciting and fulfilling hunts ever.
Nailed It. Gps showed 41 km in 3 days, total. (last week) On elk every day!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Huh

Exciting and fullfilling are some terms Suffield doesn’t get or deserve often!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Perfect that's what I plan on taking .338 win mag. Thanks.
Not sure if that will be big enough
Old 01-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hahahaha. Do you want someone to shoot the elk for you and load it as well?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:30 PM

On a positive note, the cow I shot is going to be the most tender meat I've ever had in my freezer. It cuts like butter, I can't wait for the CWD testing to be done so I can fire up the bbq.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
On a positive note, the cow I shot is going to be the most tender meat I've ever had in my freezer. It cuts like butter, I can't wait for the CWD testing to be done so I can fire up the bbq.
2x
Can't wait tell I get mine next week
Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
x2 ........ I had guys lined up to help and to hike into the NWA however both were unable to make it. Fairly sure if I could have made it in there that I would have got onto elk. Unfortunately (and understandably) they do not allow solo hunters into that area.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:42 AM

Question for the NWA walk in site for those that have walked in.

I would think pulling in a pull sled into this area would make alot of noise and spoke the elk.

So are guys walking in with out them ,then coming back if they get an Elk?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 AM

There was three of us so we had our game cart on a pack frame when we walked in. Saved us a trip back to the truck when we got a bull. Sled would for sure be noisey on hard snow and ice that’s left.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

I would think pulling in a pull sled into this area would make alot of noise and spoke the elk.

We had our sled in the truck. and walked in with backpacks. Got an elk, carried out two reasonable loads in backpacks and came back with the sled for the rest. Should I mention how we appreciated a hot tea from backpack and all tools handy after elk was down?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:12 AM

Congrats on harvesting a bull Elk .
This is the tag I have also .
Have a few more question
How far did you have to walk in to find him?
Was it morning ,mid day or evening ?
What is the NWA terrain like ?
Is it mostly open ground or a lot of bushes and trees and rolling hills.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:

We packed our meat out. I was wishing we had a sled. If we had one we would have strapped it to our packs. It would be noisy.

The NWA is very open, but eneven terrain. A lot of very small hills that all hind of look the similar. Sandy soil, some bushes. In the main NWA area I didn't see a single tree.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
We packed our meat out. I was wishing we had a sled. If we had one we would have strapped it to our packs. It would be noisy.

The NWA is very open, but eneven terrain. A lot of very small hills that all hind of look the similar. Sandy soil, some bushes. In the main NWA area I didn't see a single tree.
How far were you in there before you started seeing elk ?
Is it better to walk in a certain Direction?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
How far were you in there before you started seeing elk ?
Is it better to walk in a certain Direction?
I was in on the second week back in November, so they may have moved their general location by now.

We put almost 50 Km on the boots in three days, I can send you points of where we saw them.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:14 AM

Sure pm me and i can load them on my gps

So are we allowed to bring a back up riffle .
Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Last week we packed in light. Walked all day and once we got our elk one member went back to get the toboggans while we gut/skinned the elk.

The snow is pretty sparse. I would recommend wheels as dragging on grass wasn’t easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 11:19 AM

Heading down this week but may not work out until Tuesday. Am I correct in thinking everyday is a fresh start and being present first day (Monday) is not vital?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Wondering about sightings if you aren't lucky enough to get drawn for the NWA
Old 02-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Sure pm me and i can load them on my gps

So are we allowed to bring a back up riffle .

The morning briefings are supposed to help with general info regarding herd locations. They move a bit, but as you have noticed in this thread, it can all be about getting drawn for the NWA(where the river runs through...) and putting miles on your boots. Myself and a work colleague are there next week as well, with one Sherpa. Talk to the Base folks before the briefing, mark your map with intel. I will be the guy with the 2 large military maps of the training area and a sharpie....lol.