Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM

This seems to have died off.... Anyone hunting Suffield? What the latest news? I am not hunting it, just curious is all...
Old 01-04-2018, 05:07 PM

Going in Feb.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 PM

We are going at the end of January! I well post up reports during the hunt!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Be there in January with a bull tag and will post on the action.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Default jan

Will be there late January as well, first time hunting there. Anyone got a recommendation for a hotel? Hopefully we can get lucky on the first day.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrEng View Post
Will be there late January as well, first time hunting there. Anyone got a recommendation for a hotel? Hopefully we can get lucky on the first day.
i stayed at the travelodge in medicine hat they didn't look at me weird when i brought my rifle case into my room through the lobby.

plus they're cheap, decent, and have an attached bar.

good luck don't count on the first day.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM

I have 2 kids with the cow draw. Can they both put in for the walk in area and what happens if only one gets the draw to walk in? Or is the walk in area draw per truck and both kids can hunt it?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i stayed at the travelodge in medicine hat they didn't look at me weird when i brought my rifle case into my room through the lobby.

plus they're cheap, decent, and have an attached bar.

good luck don't count on the first day.
Right on thanks ill go with that, def not counting on first day, but would be nice to get one early
Old 01-08-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I have 2 kids with the cow draw. Can they both put in for the walk in area and what happens if only one gets the draw to walk in? Or is the walk in area draw per truck and both kids can hunt it?
If one of them gets drawn, you can all go and hunt in the NWA as long as everyone is in the same truck. Make sure you have a sled/cart, rope, GPS (not phone), compass, food and water for everyone for 24hrs, space blankets for everyone. They checked those items everyday i went into the NWA. have fun, i really enjoyed it
Old 01-08-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrEng View Post
I stayed in the clarion. It wasn't fancy, but it seemed clean. It was also in a good location to head out to orientation each morning. Gas stations right there, restaurant attached to the hotel, pool and hot tub - if that appeals to you.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerkie View Post
If one of them gets drawn, you can all go and hunt in the NWA as long as everyone is in the same truck. Make sure you have a sled/cart, rope, GPS (not phone), compass, food and water for everyone for 24hrs, space blankets for everyone. They checked those items everyday i went into the NWA. have fun, i really enjoyed it
Thank you!
Can each kid put in for the draw as well or just one chance? It sounds like for the kids the walking thing would be the best chance of one standing still and the most enjoyment so I hope it works out for them
Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Thank you!
Can each kid put in for the draw as well or just one chance? It sounds like for the kids the walking thing would be the best chance of one standing still and the most enjoyment so I hope it works out for them
Yes, each hunter with a tag can put in for the draw. get there early the first day, doors open at 6. each person has to fill in paperwork, even the helpers. Look for the draw bucket for the NWA, there will be a desk set up for this.

I got drawn both days I was there. hiked 18km the first day, saw lots of sing but no elk. awesome to see all the antelope and mule deer. second day did about 12km, that included hauling the elk back to the truck. I only saw 3 groups of hunters in the NWA in the 2 days. The NWA is a walk in area only, park off the main roads and walk in.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 PM

Good Evening

I have a bull elk for suffiled next week. Two quick questions I was hoping to get some clarity on. First is it okay to take two rifles ? Second have they been enforcing the 2 hunting partners max this year. Last time it was a group of 4 of use and wanted the same group to hunt again this time.

Thank you Keith
Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 AM

Yes we had a backup rifle and yes they were enforcing it when I was there.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerkie View Post
Is that a complete list of items, is it posted online somewhere? TIA.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Is that a complete list of items, is it posted online somewhere? TIA.
This is the list of items they checked for. You also need a helper when you get into the NWA, you cant go in solo.

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/gam...-elk-hunt.aspx

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/hun...Oct25-2017.pdf

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/gam...AQ-Oct2017.pdf
Old 01-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Thank you Boerkie. Looking forward to my hunt next week. Appreciated the links
Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Thanks Boerkie, looks like I'm going shopping.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Cant hunt solo in the NWA? That is mental. That can not be a real thing.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwatt View Post
You cant go Solo in the NWA, its simple to get turned around in that place.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 AM

Any point in going? I hate road hunting and not about to try and make a friend just to go hunting. what a joke.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Any point in going? I hate road hunting and not about to try and make a friend just to go hunting. what a joke.
The reason they dont allow solo in the NWA is because you are not allowed to drive up to your elk, it has to be dragged out to the main road. They want you to have help. Im sure glad i did, even with help it took us 4 hours to get the elk back to the truck. I agree about the road hunting part, i dont judge others who do it, but im not into it. You can still get out and hunt very large areas in the main hunting area, and you can do that solo. You dont have to stick to the roads.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
that is so true!!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Another reason is safety/ liability.
It is also easy to hurt an ancke or knee back there. It really feels like the middle of nowhere and there is very little cell phone coverage if any.

If you got hurt back there solo hunting it would be a real drag for the search and rescue.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
Another reason is safety/ liability.
It is also easy to hurt an ancke or knee back there. It really feels like the middle of nowhere and there is very little cell phone coverage if any.

If you got hurt back there solo hunting it would be a real drag for the search and rescue.
Hence the requirement for a GPS device, as opposed to relying an a cell phone. Get into any kind of sandhill terrain on a cloudy day and everything starts to look the same. I always pack a compass as well, and am comfortable using it to navigate.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 AM

we had 2 GPS with us however I used my I hunter app for the most part. As well When we parked our truck we were pretty well inline with the largest tower in the area so when we headed out we were pretty able to aim right for the tower. I couldn't imagine coming out of that place in the dark there is ZERO lights in the area so be prepared for a dark hike out.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM

Well, I heeded the advice and I am very fortunate to have a volunteer that will assist me. I was looking forward to a solo adventure but do understand how negligent it would be to put other people at risk while searching for my dumb ass if things went sideways. Although, I am sure that that the green machine would love the opportunity to mount a SAR! Thanks again to Boerkie, I was heading down south for a solo adventure and would have been shut down. Why wouldn't they make that very important rule known in their information package? I am sure other fellas are going to get hooped when they arrive only to learn that solo hunts in the NWA are not allowed. Great weather on the horizon, great company and just some time to get out and hunt in January is a bloody wonderful privilege. I am thankful for this opportunity. Best of luck to all the other Suffield hunters Jan 15-18.

Last edited by sdwatt; 01-12-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I couldn't imagine coming out of that place in the dark there is ZERO lights in the area so be prepared for a dark hike out.
I just posted a gps I bought a month ago if anyone needs one, pretty cheap.

We had to hike out in the dark one night, it was a drag.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Well, I heeded the advice and I am very fortunate to have a volunteer that will assist me. I was looking forward to a solo adventure but do understand how negligent it would be to put other people at risk while searching for my dumb ass if things went sideways. Although, I am sure that that the green machine would love the opportunity to mount a SAR! Thanks again to Boerkie, I was heading down south for a solo adventure and would have been shut down. Why wouldn't they make that very important rule known in their information package? I am sure other fellas are going to get hooped when they arrive only to learn that solo hunts in the NWA are not allowed. Great weather on the horizon, great company and just some time to get out and hunt in January is a bloody wonderful privilege. I am thankful for this opportunity. Best of luck to all the other Suffield hunters Jan 15-18.
Great to see hunters helping out hunters. Need more of this. Hope to do this hunt one day with my son and daughter.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:49 AM

I have no problem bringing a hand held GPS, but FYI for those of you talking about the cell coverage, you do not need a cell signal to use the GPS navigation capability in a cell phone. If you use one of the many Navigation Apps that are available and download the maps over wifi in advance, the GPS receiver works in a similar way as a stand alone GPS. In fact possible better depending on the GPS you have. I have used my cell phone for navigation many times in the mountains where there are no cell signals, without issue.

Still nice to have a backup though....