Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Some definite mixed emotions with this hunt. On one hand we seen tons of animals... other then elk. The terrain was different for me to hunt(being up north), the military and orientation was smooth and quick. Alot of the hunters seemed to be good people. On the other hand! It gets ugly... numbers are waayyyyy lower then previous years, so didn't see many elk. We hunted a herd today for most the day of about 250 head. I seen one guy open up from 1/2 a mile the herd and empty 5 rounds into it. Watched one person shoot at the herd while they were running hit and wounded a cow in the leg and they gave up on it and kept chasing the herd after we told them where she was lying down. This was all outside the NWA. I guess the check out station said one guy took a cow in the NWA in a herd of what he said was 2000. That is just heresay tho. He said out of that 2000 there was only 2 6x6s. Every bull in the herd we hunted today was small but after not seeing one yesterday decided to take the biggest one out of It, being a small 4x4... probably around a dozen. The herd was headed east to the NWA the entire day no matter how many people cut them off. I personally wouldn't come back. Not because of the bad ethics or military but simply cause the numbers aren't there anymore. Yesterday 9 bulls were taken and 6 cows. Today we were the fifth bull out and they said that not one was big. Good luck to the rest of the hunters going out. Im thinking it will be absolute slim pickings by the end of season.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:52 PM

It was actually 53 the first week. The guy misheard tge other guy. Talked to them and it was 53 in the first week
Old 11-21-2017, 07:19 PM

Default place

6am at the Ralston Rec. Centre
Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 PM

congrats coiloil.

when we got our first cow last year, she was all by herself too. came over a hill into a ravine and she was standing on the backside of the hill, im lucky i saw her.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 PM

Are they issuing 2 tags with a cow draw?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Are they issuing 2 tags with a cow draw?
I do not believe so.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 PM

bull

Last edited by rielbowhunter; 11-21-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdese View Post
Some definite mixed emotions with this hunt. On one hand we seen tons of animals... other then elk. The terrain was different for me to hunt(being up north), the military and orientation was smooth and quick. Alot of the hunters seemed to be good people. On the other hand! It gets ugly... numbers are waayyyyy lower then previous years, so didn't see many elk. We hunted a herd today for most the day of about 250 head. I seen one guy open up from 1/2 a mile the herd and empty 5 rounds into it. Watched one person shoot at the herd while they were running hit and wounded a cow in the leg and they gave up on it and kept chasing the herd after we told them where she was lying down. This was all outside the NWA. I guess the check out station said one guy took a cow in the NWA in a herd of what he said was 2000. That is just heresay tho. He said out of that 2000 there was only 2 6x6s. Every bull in the herd we hunted today was small but after not seeing one yesterday decided to take the biggest one out of It, being a small 4x4... probably around a dozen. The herd was headed east to the NWA the entire day no matter how many people cut them off. I personally wouldn't come back. Not because of the bad ethics or military but simply cause the numbers aren't there anymore. Yesterday 9 bulls were taken and 6 cows. Today we were the fifth bull out and they said that not one was big. Good luck to the rest of the hunters going out. Im thinking it will be absolute slim pickings by the end of season.
The 2000 head herd in the nwa isn’t here say, we were on them yesterday all day but couldn’t get within 600 yards of them. There was a few other groups that were pushing them around as well. Biggest we could pick out of the herd was a 5x5 and that was after an hour of watching them. Had a shot at a bull today but had a guy blow passed us at 80kmh and ruined our chance. He ended up pulling his truck within 20 yards of them as they crossed the road.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Pick up truck or 4x4 truck

Will a normal pick up truck handle these roads if i went in prepared with sand bags & shovels & tow straps & jack and chains?... would gladly appriciate that info.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Will a normal pick up truck handle these roads if i went in prepared with sand bags & shovels & tow straps & jack and chains?... would gladly appriciate that info.
When I was there last week it would be no problem. There was even a guy in a mini van on our last day there.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
with the above gear you should be fine they are well made roads just not maintained the best lots of rough washboard and pot holes
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcha View Post
I was one of those "cheaters,that was drawn twice on day 2 for the nwa.i only put in one entry,my partner didn't.if you were actually paying attention at the briefing, when they realized there mistake, they drew two more numbers at the end of the briefing so all 25 passes were drawn.did u actually see people put in multiple entries?or just a little bitter u didn't get drawn.
How were your drawn twice if you number was only placed in once. If multiple hunters could put the same truck tag number in that gives them an advantage, simple math. Then you have 25+ hunters in the nwa when only 25 are supposed to be allowed. Tell me how that’s fair to all the others who put their name in.

It doesn’t matter anymore, it’s in the past and we harvested a bull, but when you travel 7 hours, spend 3 nights in hotels, all meals dined out, only to be cheated out of an opportunity you prepared for by ppl using the system to their advantage you should be allowed to be frustrated.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post
The 2000 head herd in the nwa isn’t here say, we were on them yesterday all day but couldn’t get within 600 yards of them. There was a few other groups that were pushing them around as well. Biggest we could pick out of the herd was a 5x5 and that was after an hour of watching them. Had a shot at a bull today but had a guy blow passed us at 80kmh and ruined our chance. He ended up pulling his truck within 20 yards of them as they crossed the road.
It's not that I don't believe there was a herd of 2000 but it was told to us by the fish and wildlife officer which was told by another hunter, so to me because I personally didn't see it nor the person who told me it would be considered hearsay. I'm glad someone as yourself can confirm that tho. That sucks about your missed opportunity, it seems when people see the elk they get a bit bat**** crazy and lose all ethics.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:10 AM

My 4 friends from Red Deer were down there last week.

They were not impressed, so they drafted up some letters their sending to the GOA branch that handles that stuff.
I don't know what happened down there, but them and 6 to 8 other groups were not impressed.

Over the 4 days they counted off ruffly 1000 to 1200 head, but that is due to seeing many of the same heards.

They spotted lots of Cows and all rags, if it didn't have 6 points or larger,,, then it wasn't worth their time.

Maybe some changes need to take place. Don't know since I've never been down there for critter harvests.

Don
Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 AM

don't think anything will change as the mentality right now is to get rid of them due to the problems with the local ranchers. there is no appetite for a sustained hunting opportunity on the base. really unfortunate as this is a classic example of how quickly as resource can be depleted from a lack of quota management.

i do feel for guys burning high priority expecting something different. mind you, you think as this is the third year, they must have heard of what can occur out there. there have been some good experiences, but seems majority have been disappointing.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
My 4 friends from Red Deer were down there last week.

They were not impressed, so they drafted up some letters their sending to the GOA branch that handles that stuff.
I don't know what happened down there, but them and 6 to 8 other groups were not impressed.

Over the 4 days they counted off ruffly 1000 to 1200 head, but that is due to seeing many of the same heards.

They spotted lots of Cows and all rags, if it didn't have 6 points or larger,,, then it wasn't worth their time.

Maybe some changes need to take place. Don't know since I've never been down there for critter harvests.

Don
What’s thee letter gonna say? “We went on a cull and didn’t see many of the confirmed thousands of elk on the base? We were there for 2-3 days and know more than the scientists on the base? We want our money back because we didn’t get what we wanted?”
Old 11-22-2017, 09:48 AM

Not much a letter is going to do.

There are never any guarantees on any tag you draw, that why it's called hunting and not shooting.

Be thankful for seeing some animals last week, some didn't see any.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Default Bad Drought, Bad Fires, No Water

Having been on the base a number of times over the years, since the very beginning actually, the herd concentrates where there is water, being the NWA. If there is snow, the elk can eat snow and can be out of the NWA, but unless the grass is all gone, the herd has food and water and not a lot of reason to move.

My Baby Brother and I are on next week's hunt but only for a cow tag.

I expect the forage on the base to be in really bad shape. Drought killed the grass in July, then there were grass fires. Ground was reported to be dry over 1 foot down. All the water in the area dried up, so the elk will have travelled off base to the pivot fields, or to the River.

20 miles means nothing to these animals. Water and food are critical though.

However, I am hopeful that the snow will coax some of the herd to leave the NWA, or at least I get drawn for the NWA!!!

This is a herd reduction, and if someone did have dreams of big antlers, it can happen simply because of the numbers down there.

Drewski
Old 11-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
What’s thee letter gonna say? “We went on a cull and didn’t see many of the confirmed thousands of elk on the base? We were there for 2-3 days and know more than the scientists on the base? We want our money back because we didn’t get what we wanted?”
I don't think they are after their funds back. Ha.
Like I mentioned in my post, I do not know what happened to them down there, nor do I know what their draft letters state.

It might be something to do with the way it's managed "I'm guessing though."

All 4 of them along with 2 of the other groups out of the 6 to 8 groups that they chatted with are part of F&W association and have been for quit some time threw out our province.

I'm sure we will find out soon enough this winter or next year of what information will be released in due time.

I'm sure my long friend will have his say, at least the brass up stairs "Might" get an eye opener.
I my self, do not know what happened, but what ever it was, I'm sure it must of sparked the flame.

My friend is pretty kosher, it takes alot to ruffle his feathers. I didn't ask since its not my place to interfere with his harvests as he is to mine.

A mutual agreement of sorts.

PS: those that are acting members of the Alberta Fish & Game Association would most likely hear what's up before us on this forum.

Don
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
East side has old crusted patchy snow, roads are snow free. West/SW part has/had more snow and some trails have old and new drifts and deep ruts in the snow. Overall yes, given a good tires and common sense there should be no problem. (Still I did keep at least a highjack anf shovel handy )

Last edited by V_1; 11-22-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
don't think anything will change as the mentality right now is to get rid of them due to the problems with the local ranchers. there is no appetite for a sustained hunting opportunity on the base. really unfortunate as this is a classic example of how quickly as resource can be depleted from a lack of quota management.

i do feel for guys burning high priority expecting something different. mind you, you think as this is the third year, they must have heard of what can occur out there. there have been some good experiences, but seems majority have been disappointing.
The disappointment is understandable as the heard numbers are down significantly. Overall day success rate (from what I know about two hunts this Nov) is 25 to 30% tops.

Appetite or not, if they abandon this hunt there will be the same problem of the same proportions real soon, IMO.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM

I have never been there, but it sounds like another well managed Alberta advantage.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned

Well, yes and no, if I'm right in detecting of your sarcasm. Feds/CF run the show, mostly. I never expected to be able to hunt on the CFB Suffiled, let alone to get an opportunity to hunt in NWA in my lifetime. So the glass if half full for me.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:18 PM

Any feedback today? I left yesterday afternoon about 3:30 and only three bulls had been killed by then.

It was definitely interesting to hunt on the base, the military guys were top notch.

I was kind of bummed that the only elk I saw were in the NWA which I could not access since I was hunting alone.

Hindsight is 2020 but I should have kept my priority and waited for a different opportunity.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post

4 years ago this opportunity did not exist....it was a pipe dream to ever be able to hunt on the base.

A lot of guys figured the next world record was going to come off the base.

A guy can dream, but no way I would burn a P14+ on a 3-5 or even 10 day season not held during the rut.

LC
Old 11-22-2017, 08:15 PM

Default Confirmation of herd

I was the guy that talked to the f&w and there really was a herd that big it was the sight of a lifetime. The nwa draw is definitely the way to see the big herds. We didn't get it Monday but did Tuesday and there was at least 2 decent 6x6s but like others said tough to get close when multiple parties are approaching and the herd is that big.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
4 years ago this opportunity did not exist....it was a pipe dream to ever be able to hunt on the base.

A lot of guys figured the next world record was going to come off the base.

A guy can dream, but no way I would burn a P14+ on a 3-5 or even 10 day season not held during the rut.

LC
Not if you have locked down prime hunting area. Not everyone is that fortunate.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Wait, you need to be 14+ to hunt there?
Sorry, I have never took interest in it, or any zones around it for that matter, so really have no idea what it takes.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Wait, you need to be 14+ to hunt there?
Sorry, I have never took interest in it, or any zones around it for that matter, so really have no idea what it takes.
the first year they did it, it took a 14 to get it.

im not sure what it is now, but the draw summary is on alberta relm and you can see.

i hope to get drawn for cow again next year. I liked my hunt there and i dont know why so many people are turned off by it.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:45 PM

Yes, I looked up the report for the last year. No, you do not need to be 14+. All you need is 2-3+, depending on the season (or 1 in one or two cases). Makes sense to make it that the first year. But to be honest, I am surprised there are that many people who have 14 points for an elk hunt. I guess I never thought of elk hunting beyond my "neighborhood". Sorry to derail.