Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 04:11 PM

Default Seeking Advice on Backyard Retaining Wall and Fence Project to Level Yard

Seeking guidance for a backyard project! We're planning to build a retaining wall and fence to improve privacy, replace our existing fence, and level out the yard for better usability—especially for the little ones and summer BBQs. I've included some photos of the design and the current state of the fence and landscape.

We're thinking the retaining wall should be about 32 inches high along the part of the fence that runs parallel to the sidewalk, tapering off as the fence turns towards the house. It will also taper off gradually to the ground level near the vehicle gate in the alley. We intend to keep the current chain link vehicle gate and man gate beside the garage. The new fence will be built with 6-foot-tall MicroPro Sienna treated lumber, and the retaining wall may use 4 x 6 pressure-treated lumber stacked horizontally.

We'll level the yard to match the grade at the man gate by the house, making the area more functional. Any advice on the project, including tips or alternative construction methods, would be greatly appreciated. We're planning on using MicroPro Sienna treated lumber, gravel backfill, and weeping tile for optimal drainage. If anyone has resources or documentation on best practices for this kind of work, please share!

I'm a seasoned DIYer, but this project is a first for me. As a Journeyman Electrician, I'm used to following codes and guidelines, but any extra help specific to this project would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your insights!

P.S. I'll definitely need some privacy when I'm butchering game and cleaning skulls—wouldn't want the neighbors thinking I'm auditioning for a horror movie!

This is the style of fence / retaining wall I would like to build, but have the top of the fence all on one level:

The Following images are the existing fence that I would like to replace, except I will plan to keep the existing vehicle gate and man gate in the back alley:

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by shootermcgavin; 05-05-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:25 PM

Impressive.

One thing I did with the 4x6" for a retaining wall was to drill thru and use heavy rebar and pound it thru the 4x6's into the ground. Then I just drilled out some plugs from a scrap piece to cap the holes in the 4x6......

There's my big idea.......
Old 05-05-2024, 04:27 PM

Retaining walls are a pain in the ass.

Instead just rent a bobcat and level with a slope away from the house. Ensure great drainage. At the same time put in a sprinkler system.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-05-2024, 04:42 PM

Ahh City of Calgary

Before putting shovels on the ground

https://www.calgary.ca/development/h...ng/fences.html
Old 05-05-2024, 06:02 PM

I'd just recommend three things...

1. If you're building it in Calgary, make sure you're permits are good to go unless you want to be a rebel and chance it.

2. Have drainage on the earth side of the wall or ensure the wall is permeable.

3. Either build it right, so it's doesn't lean, or have mechanism to straighten it (if it starts to lean, you'll likely need to remove dirt prior to straightening it), like so:
Old 05-05-2024, 09:43 PM

I know a guy that's got a skid-steer that vibrates, think of it as a 2 for 1 machine. For a slight financial consideration, I'll have him reach out to you

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-05-2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'd just recommend three things...

1. If you're building it in Calgary, make sure you're permits are good to go unless you want to be a rebel and chance it.

2. Have drainage on the earth side of the wall or ensure the wall is permeable.

3. Either build it right, so it's doesn't lean, or have mechanism to straighten it (if it starts to lean, you'll likely need to remove dirt prior to straightening it), like so:
When we bought our place in Calgary, the people we bought from were not impressed with the landscaping that the neighbour had done a few years earlier. They had put a retaining wall up against the fence and leveled (+/-) their yard. The change in elevation was 4 or 5 feet at the highest point. We bought the place and there was no issue for about 20 years until the new neighbours decided they wanted a hot tub. A crew came in with a compactor and started compacting their yard (felt like someone was trying to drive a tractor through our house ). Before they had the hot tub installed, we noticed that their yard was trying to slide into our yard...

Be careful what you do when trying to change grade.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:50 AM

You may want to consider keeping some of the grade for water runoff. Could you just put in 6x6 pressure treated post, but put them about 6’ under ground and cement them in. Then do 3or 4 rows of 6x6 in between the posts anchored to the posts with some sort of Simpson hardware, then fence above that. Could even reduce the spacing between posts to 6’ or so to strengthen everything up a bit. Then just put in the weeping tile and some gravel, then haul in some topsoil to build it up.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:50 PM

First and foremost, no one on here should be doing bar stool engineering unless they want to be putting their beavertail on the blue prints.

I went through a nightmare file in St. Albert where I was acting for the Purchaser. Vendor gave an old RPR and Stat Dec with a strange Compliance Letter that had an exception on the retaining wall.

Seems the neighbour's wall was collapsing, and 2 owners back there was a caveat put on by the City of St. Albert about the retaining wall. Had to fight with Vendor's lawyer, and City of St. Albert engineering back me, which made sense given the Caveat.

I was acting for relatives and all they wanted was this house come he!! or High Water. All the bank wanted was something they could easily sell if there was a foreclosure. I knew that I was going to have to eat the time, or have problems down the road come time to sell

8 hours of my thrown away time and the Vendor's Lawyer backed down. He had to apply to the City, get the necessary permits, etc.

Sometimes removing a retaining wall, re engineering to current code, and rebuilding can cost $50,000.

This could be your "dream", or your Lawyer's nightmare, in the future, if you decided to go it alone without engineering.

Drewski
Old 05-06-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Ahh City of Calgary

Before putting shovels on the ground

https://www.calgary.ca/development/h...ng/fences.html
I have built a few retaining walls and fences and feel this is a great first step
I f you want free advice PM me, I'll try and help
Old 05-06-2024, 11:43 PM

Default Follow the steps

A few steps to follow, in the following order:

1) Hire a competent engineering outfit that has a qualified civil engineer, let him look after the design
2) Apply for the permits with the City, this will require a set of stamped plans
3) Make sure you have completed step 1
4) Hire a contractor that is experienced in installing retaining walls per the engineers design
5) Recheck to ensure that you have completed step 1
6) Hire a competent inspector or get the Engineer of Record to inspect the work as it is being installed
7) Retain copies of the engineering drawings along with a Letter of Compliance issued and stamped by the Engineer of Record

Qualified firms (engg and installation) will carry liability insurance.

I'm expecting to get a lesson on overkill by certain AO experts but having been involved in this work for over 3 decades I stand by my input. Having a retaining wall fail is a big deal, even a small one
Old 05-07-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
1) Hire a competent engineering outfit that has a qualified civil engineer, let him look after the design

7) Retain copies of the engineering drawings along with a Letter of Compliance issued and stamped by the Engineer of Record
All you need, just make sure all their credentials are up to date.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:

2) Apply for the permits with the City, this will require a set of stamped plans
4) Hire a contractor that is experienced in installing retaining walls per the engineers design
6) Hire a competent inspector or get the Engineer of Record to inspect the work as it is being installed

I'm expecting to get a lesson on overkill by certain AO experts but having been involved in this work for over 3 decades I stand by my input. Having a retaining wall fail is a big deal, even a small one

As a happily retired professional engineer, this is the best advice you should get here.

Vic
Old 05-09-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:

This isn't strictly true - the requirement for engineered drawings depends on the height of the wall. You can look at the City of Calgary requirements, but there is usually a maximum height before a structural design is required.

Otherwise anytime someone stacked a few blocks around their garden they would need a permit.

A permit and design is never a bad idea though as it can save you a lot of headache later.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:21 PM

My advice is to ask "will it be worth it?"...

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."