Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-09-2015, 01:48 PM

I know when I bought my HSLR it was the most expensive scope I owned or any of my friends owned. I was proud of that fact. I was also proud that it had every feature I have ever wanted in a scope. With FFP as the primary purchase point.
I babied that scope. Because I wanted it to last, it was going to be the last scope I ever bought.
I kind of take offense to someone insinuating that I purposely broke or complaimed about the scope.
Simply put I am hard on my equipment. Rifle falling out of my gun boot at 80km/hr off my quad. Getting all scratched up. Guess what I still have that $400 rifle and $380 scope. Both look worse for wear. But both function proprely.

My Vortex was mounted on top of my Tikka 30-06. Shot well for the first couple hundred rounds. And broke. New scope same thing.

If I hadn't lost my shirt on that Vortex purchase and ammo costs to site in, verify and redo all over again I would have a different scope on my rifle.

Guess what I have the package scope Burris 3x9x40 on it now. Waiting for the day I can afford another thousand or so bucks to buy a new scope. Might even go to 2,000.

I know this for a fact anyone insinuating I broke on purpose or just wanted to smear Vortex is a idiot and has never met me or know how excited I was when I first purchase that scope. Nor do they comprehend how dissapointed I was when I had to admit defeat and swallow my pride to my friends when I dismounted that scope and put it up for sale. I was Vortex this and Vortex that. Convinced them to buy binos and range finders.which by the way have worked flawlessly.
I think it was a scope qc issue. But the frustration I had, was unbelievable.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Products that last 40 years are bad for new sales.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Only partly true. It convinced me to buy and sell a couple of hundred Leupolds over my lifetime and I have probably influenced 5 times that many people into buying them over the last 40 years.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Only partly true. It convinced me to buy and sell a couple of hundred Leupolds over my lifetime and I have probably influenced 5 times that many people into buying them over the last 40 years.
Satisfied customers make the best and most effective salesmen.

My personal philosophy,

Don't buy anything you do not need, but if you need it, buy the best.
Quality and good design are always the best value.
Buy once, cry once.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Leupold and only leupold for me. Not much different warranty than vortex but my experience is one rarely needs leupold's warranty. I want something I can trust when or if that once in a lifetime opportunity happens. Perhaps once vortex is around longer that trust may come. Nice to see different options though.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Leupold and only leupold for me. Not much different warranty than vortex but my experience is one rarely needs leupold's warranty. I want something I can trust when or if that once in a lifetime opportunity happens. Perhaps once vortex is around longer that trust may come. Nice to see different options though.

I used to be 100% Leupold, but I grew tired of the varying eye relief as the magnification is adjusted on the 1" variables, and I won't pay more for equivalent optics. I have little experience with Vortex. but I see no reason to even try them, given that they are more proven optics for the same price.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Well I for one am happy with my Vortex products. Started out with Diamondback binos that I used for a few seasons, happily. Then when it was time to get a range finder I decided to stay with Vortex and am happy with my choice. Neither product has let me down, in fact I decided to upgrade my optics and went with Vortex again.

I kept my old binos as a spare and "truck set" and treated myself to some Razors and glad I did. I spent hours and hours looking through different high end binos side by side and could see little if any difference between the Razors and binos costing a lot more. The only exception was a pair of Leicas that were twice as much and while they were better I couldn't justify that they were worth twice as much.

I also upgraded my scope form the one that came with rifle to a Viper. It is just a standard 3x9 "hunting scope" but I am happy with it. It held zero from the previous year and I'm able to shoot 1/4" groups with it. Okay I shot one 1/4" group with it. lol Point is it works great for hunting and has good eye relief and light gathering capabilities.

So I'm a satisfied customer so far, I also like the peace of mind that the warranty provides. I too realize that you must be able to trust and rely on your equipment and so far Vortex has not let me down. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I don't put enough rounds down range to experience some of the problems that others have? I typically take less than 5 shots per year with my big game rifle (and scope) so I may have just dodged a bullet but so far so good.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-09-2015, 07:26 PM

Thumbs up Vortex

Pssst ... I just heard a rumor that all AOF members will get a Vortex '10% Off' coupon, emailed to them for Christmas!

Now ain't that nice!

Mac
Old 12-10-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I give you full credit for being willing to enter the lions den and face the end users of your products in public. That said, I too own Vortex product. I too have had to use the warranty to fix product defects on each scope. Not one of the scopes I bought didn't require fixing. While the warranty service was very good I no longer have Vortex on anything I need to rely on 100%. Of the people I know that own or have owned Vortex scopes and binnocualrs I do not know one that has not had to use the warranty.

I have other scopes with Lifetime no quibble warranties, specifically Leupold and Nightforce. I have never had to send anything back to them that I didn't break myself through accidental damage, drop from up high, horse roll over etc. I in fact had one that got hit so hard it bent the tube and cracked the glass in the objective. The scope continued to hold zero after being reset and I got my animal later in the week, then sent the scope back. Some of the scopes we have are over 40 years old. Of all my associates I only know one who had to return a Leupold scope for a manufacturer defect that caused it to be unusable. I don't know anyone who had to return a Nightforce but then there are a lot less of them out there.

I believe you need to focus less on the Warranty and advertising and FAR MORE on building a robust scope that works and will stand up to 40 years in the field.
I like this! a lot . I have a set of vortex bino's and a diamondback scope. At first they were good. Within a few months I had to send the bino's back for repairs. Couple years ago the scope was not holding zero on my 06 .
I can't understand why company's can't make a product that work at any price point. If they can't do it on entry or reasonably priced scopes, do not make them at all. Stay with your expensive line. Otherwise if your entry line does not work why would I spend more of my earned money with the same company. I am not blessed with big incomes so I can't spend the big bucks for great scopes so I have to depend on the lower priced stuff. I still use my first Leupold M8 6x from over 30 years ago with not one issue. I recently bought a Nikon Prostate 5, hopefully that will work for me. I did not think twice when I returned to Leupold for an FX3 6x because of the performance on my old one. Any way all this to say build them right the first time and you will have us as repeat customers for life.
Just my thoughts.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I like this! a lot . I have a set of vortex bino's and a diamondback scope. At first they were good. Within a few months I had to send the bino's back for repairs. Couple years ago the scope was not holding zero on my 06 .
I can't understand why company's can't make a product that work at any price point. If they can't do it on entry or reasonably priced scopes, do not make them at all. Stay with your expensive line. Otherwise if your entry line does not work why would I spend more of my earned money with the same company. I am not blessed with big incomes so I can't spend the big bucks for great scopes so I have to depend on the lower priced stuff. I still use my first Leupold M8 6x from over 30 years ago with not one issue. I recently bought a Nikon Prostate 5, hopefully that will work for me. I did not think twice when I returned to Leupold for an FX3 6x because of the performance on my old one. Any way all this to say build them right the first time and you will have us as repeat customers for life.
Just my thoughts.
Interesting name for a Nikon scope. Is that model made for shooting , or looking up behinds?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Interesting name for a Nikon scope. Is that model made for shooting , or looking up behinds?

Interesting marketing strategy from Nikon!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Over the years I've often talked highly of Leupold scopes and have undoubtedly talked several people into buying them, so having a good product that people are happy with does indeed work!

For the record, I've only purchased one Vortex product, a Viper 6.5x20-50mm and so far I'm very pleased with it. I'll be looking at them when it comes time for another purchase.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default Easy task

It is not difficult to justify purchasing a Leupold scope.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Damn spell check!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Damn spell check!!!
I figured with deer season wrapped up maybe you were hunting for polyps
Old 12-10-2015, 01:04 PM

I've had nothing but positive experiences with my 2 Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44. Still running one on my .223. The other got sold with a rifle.

I don't have a huge budget for anything, but did spring for a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x for the .243 I just bought. I haven't even shot this set-up (about to start my first hand loads) but I'll be 100% honest...I had some concerns about the additional recoil and a new Viper. I'm about 90% sure it would have eaten it up with no issues...but it did cross my mind.

I've had 2 Vortex products fail, but they were both bottom-end scopes. (Crossfire and a Crossfire II) Vortex were quick to make this right. I've been running a 4-12AO Diamondback on one of my .22s with no issues. My most recent scope was for my CZ452, and I decided to try an entry-level Sightron S1. Had that scope AND the Diamondback out together last weekend and could do a side-by-side comparison. Both function 100% fine, but the Sightron's optics appear to be better, and the reticle much finer.

I'm clearly not set on any 1 brand, but certainly don't feel drawn to Vortex at the moment either. At one point, I think I had 5 of their products in the house...down to 3 now. (Viper/Diamonback/SPARC) I'm curious what's coming-up with that company, but the last couple of times I looked...the price was creeping up, and the reticle I liked most was gone. (BDC made heavier) Seems the company jacks the prices to cover the warranty claims...instead of jacking the price to make better scopes and not NEED as many warranty claims.

I don't feel I have enough time to hunt/shoot as it is...so the idea of losing a scope for warranty service really s**ks as far as I'm concerned. I don't use heavy-recoiling calibers...and I don't hunt large game. Losing a shot opportunity, missing, wounding in those situations~I think I'd be pretty steamed.

So..short story long~I've had more good experiences than bad, and have a modestly-priced Viper hitting it out of the park every year for the last 5 or so.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:17 AM

I don't see the buy and sell loaded with vortex products....that must mean happy users.
I am one for sure...my next one on the list...vortex
Old 12-19-2015, 09:16 AM

Well if you watch Buy Sell here and the on on Canadian Gunnutz for any length of time you will see a very high number of Vortex for sale, and most are at quite a discount to their new price. There are 4 Vortex products on the front page of today's Optics Buy Sell on this forum alone. If your really want to try one I would pick one up off of there. At least you won't be out near as much when you re-sell it.

Find it interesting that the OP for this thread hasn't had much to say since shortly after it was started.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-19-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm12g22lr View Post
I don't see the buy and sell loaded with vortex products....that must mean happy users.
I am one for sure...my next one on the list...vortex
You aren't looking very hard, or in the right places. Vortex optics are quite common on the larger EE on another national site.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Default Glad I read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I can say my experience with Vortex Scopes has been nothing but disappointing.
Do far my range finder ha worked well.

I bought a HSLR 4-16x50 FFP scope a couple of years ago. Mounted it on a Tikka Lite 30-06. sighted the scope in at the range. Was very happy. put a couple hundred rds through the rifle. Verifying the scope and turrets getting confident with the scope out to 600 meters.

Put the scope away in my safe. A month or so later go back to the range to verify zero before hunting. It was not zeroed, was shooting off a few inches. Thought maybe I adjusted the turrets. Got it back on zero or so I thought. Held Zero until I either adjusted the magnification or changed my turret setting. It would be way off, but consistent.

Went back to a local dealer and chatted with him about the issue. Replaced my rings, loosened cleaned up and re tightened stock screws, site mount, cleaned the rifle, then went back to the range shot the rifle and scope. again would not hold zero after adjusting.

Went back to the dealer, they noticed the reticle was swinging back and forth when adjusting the magnification They exchanged the scope over the counter.

Went back to the range sited in the new scope, never thought another thing about it.
Went hunting missed a shot at 200 meters, went back to the range rifle was shooting low and to the right. Did some verification would not hold a zero. Would shoot consistent until any adjustment was made then it would change MPI significantly and hold that zero until an adjustment was done again.

Finally after eliminating all other avenues with the rifle, mounts and ammo I sent the scope back to Vortex. They fixed it no problem. The erector ring was loose, causing a shift of the cross hairs.

As soon as I got the scope back I phoned Vortex and asked if the problem is fixed or if it would happen again. I was told if it happened again send it back and they would warranty it.
Not being satisfied I put the scope up for sale the next morning. Took a big loss on the scope, not to mention the $700+ in ammo I used to site in the two different scopes from them Both of which had failures.

My question is have you fixed this issue with the erector rings on your HSLR model, is this issue a common issue with FFP scopes, if it is what is being done to build customer (my) confidence back that your product will not fail after light use.

I honestly was so excited when I bought that scope. It had everything I wanted in a scope. Multiple ways to range find, consistent measurements, accuracy and decent price point.
Although I vowed to never own a Vortex scope again. If you can assure me that the issues have been rectified I might be swayed to look into buying one again.
I am glad I read this, I was looking at getting this exact setup. Think I will shell out a bit more and go to something else.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:09 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThomson80 View Post
I am glad I read this, I was looking at getting this exact setup. Think I will shell out a bit more and go to something else.
Same here. Quite shocked when I read through this thread, as I almost pulled the trigger on a Vortex scope
Old 12-19-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I can say my experience with Vortex Scopes has been nothing but disappointing.
Do far my range finder ha worked well.

I bought a HSLR 4-16x50 FFP scope a couple of years ago. Mounted it on a Tikka Lite 30-06. sighted the scope in at the range. Was very happy. put a couple hundred rds through the rifle. Verifying the scope and turrets getting confident with the scope out to 600 meters.

Put the scope away in my safe. A month or so later go back to the range to verify zero before hunting. It was not zeroed, was shooting off a few inches. Thought maybe I adjusted the turrets. Got it back on zero or so I thought. Held Zero until I either adjusted the magnification or changed my turret setting. It would be way off, but consistent.

Went back to a local dealer and chatted with him about the issue. Replaced my rings, loosened cleaned up and re tightened stock screws, site mount, cleaned the rifle, then went back to the range shot the rifle and scope. again would not hold zero after adjusting.

Went back to the dealer, they noticed the reticle was swinging back and forth when adjusting the magnification They exchanged the scope over the counter.

Went back to the range sited in the new scope, never thought another thing about it.
Went hunting missed a shot at 200 meters, went back to the range rifle was shooting low and to the right. Did some verification would not hold a zero. Would shoot consistent until any adjustment was made then it would change MPI significantly and hold that zero until an adjustment was done again.

Finally after eliminating all other avenues with the rifle, mounts and ammo I sent the scope back to Vortex. They fixed it no problem. The erector ring was loose, causing a shift of the cross hairs.

As soon as I got the scope back I phoned Vortex and asked if the problem is fixed or if it would happen again. I was told if it happened again send it back and they would warranty it.
Not being satisfied I put the scope up for sale the next morning. Took a big loss on the scope, not to mention the $700+ in ammo I used to site in the two different scopes from them Both of which had failures.

My question is have you fixed this issue with the erector rings on your HSLR model, is this issue a common issue with FFP scopes, if it is what is being done to build customer (my) confidence back that your product will not fail after light use.

I honestly was so excited when I bought that scope. It had everything I wanted in a scope. Multiple ways to range find, consistent measurements, accuracy and decent price point.
Although I vowed to never own a Vortex scope again. If you can assure me that the issues have been rectified I might be swayed to look into buying one again.
I currently have the exact same issue with a Viper. I will be sending it in this week, maybe I will send a letter with it requesting info on the failure and see if they tell me anything about it. Mine is mounted on a .338 Win Mag, but that shouldn't really have any bearing on these common failures. I probably only have 100 rounds through it. Was seriously considering a PST FFP, but I think I will hold off and see what they have to say. It was quite inconvenient as this scope failed right during our hunt. Luckily a friend had a spare rifle we pilfered the rings and scope off of.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 AM

. There are 4 Vortex products on the front page of today's Optics Buy Sell on this forum alone.

Must be a lot of used car salesmen types on this forum if they sell what they consider a piece of crap to a unsuspecting buyer. Are these guys any better than the Vortex company?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
. There are 4 Vortex products on the front page of today's Optics Buy Sell on this forum alone.

Must be a lot of used car salesmen types on this forum if they sell what they consider a piece of crap to a unsuspecting buyer. Are these guys any better than the Vortex company?

Selling them for as cheap as they are, and as long as a guy doesn't use them on a gun he needs to rely on, I don't see a problem. Better to buy one for half price and get it fixed than to pay full price.

If a scope goes out on one of my gopher guns, no big deal, I have a couple of extras with me anyway. A scope going out on top of the mountain on a Sheep hunt in Wilmore is a whole other ball of wax.

Bought cheap enough and used on the right gun Vortex is a usable product. Not one I would ever buy more of, but that is jut me.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 AM

When I sold my Vortex I was honest with the person buying it. The price reflected it. I gave him a copy of the repair order also.

For me it was two different scope failures of the same model that made my choice.

Here's my challange to Vortex. Send me a voucher from one of your retailers in Red Deer for a HSLR 4X16X50 FFP with MRAD reticle 3 months before next hunting season let me choose the scope from their selection, i will have it mounted at that shop. I will sight the scope in and use it for the following season approX 6 mon the of time. I will put 300 rds through my rifle with that scope on it. If by the end of the season it has not failed with accuracy problems and or erector ring or other manufacture defects I will pay for the scope. ( If I accidently cause damage to the scope I will pay for it also, such as drop it bend it, falls off my quad etc).
If the scope fails from a manufacture defect that requires Warrenty service you reimburse me ammo costs and hunting trip cost.
Ammo cost about $450 trip cost $1500.

I encourage you to use witness marks and other methods to ensure that no tampering of the scope has been done.

That is my offer. Unrealistic from my end but that is how I feel Warrenty should be.

Unless you can recommend another scope that can handle hunting situation. I am all ears and willing to research if the info is availible. My budget is $1000cdn.

Thank you for your consideration.

What radical changes is Vortex comming up with?
Old 12-20-2015, 11:51 AM

CTD

My bet is this will never happen. Go buy a Nightforce if you want the toughest scope made, also about the heaviest there is, has glass about on par with Leupold. Buy a Swaro or Leica if you want the best optics and good reliability and buy a Leupold if you want decent optics, good reliability and really fast quality turnaround if you do bend one over a rock.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
When I sold my Vortex I was honest with the person buying it. The price reflected it. I gave him a copy of the repair order also.

For me it was two different scope failures of the same model that made my choice.

Here's my challange to Vortex. Send me a voucher from one of your retailers in Red Deer for a HSLR 4X16X50 FFP with MRAD reticle 3 months before next hunting season let me choose the scope from their selection, i will have it mounted at that shop. I will sight the scope in and use it for the following season approX 6 mon the of time. I will put 300 rds through my rifle with that scope on it. If by the end of the season it has not failed with accuracy problems and or erector ring or other manufacture defects I will pay for the scope. ( If I accidently cause damage to the scope I will pay for it also, such as drop it bend it, falls off my quad etc).
If the scope fails from a manufacture defect that requires Warrenty service you reimburse me ammo costs and hunting trip cost.
Ammo cost about $450 trip cost $1500.

I encourage you to use witness marks and other methods to ensure that no tampering of the scope has been done.

That is my offer. Unrealistic from my end but that is how I feel Warrenty should be.

Unless you can recommend another scope that can handle hunting situation. I am all ears and willing to research if the info is availible. My budget is $1000cdn.

Thank you for your consideration.

What radical changes is Vortex comming up with?
Tough crowd. You get what you pay for. Would you expect your truck, quad, tires, boat motor, depth founder, fishing reel, rod, rangefinder or any other manufacturer of product to reimburse you for lost opportunity on a hunting or fishing trip or missed work when one of their products breaks down and wrecks your hunting trip or day at work too? What if your ammo or gun misfires. I think we need to be a little more realistic when we buy a budget scope and expect it to be as reliable as scopes that cost twice as much. For the most part the vast majority of vortex owners are happy with the product.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Is a very generous and unquestioning warranty policy a strategy intended to compensate for reduced quality control?
Leupold has pretty much the same warranty policy as far as I know.
Cat
Old 12-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Leupold has pretty much the same warranty policy as far as I know.
Cat
But Leupold 'reported' quality control is better.

Vortex quality control seems to be performed by their customers, and is (not surprisingly) uncompensated.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
But Leupold 'reported' quality control is better.

Vortex quality control seems to be performed by their customers, and is (not surprisingly) uncompensated.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Not sure what you mean, but there have been several people who have had issues with Leupold and were given full warranty the people here who have had issues with Vortex and were given full warranty as well.
There was a big thing a few years back about Leupold a few years back and there warranty issues because the scope was ought om a particular dealer that the were not covered by Korth.All sorts of accusations and assumptions ensued.

Bottom line was , that if you bought t o a dealer who dealt with Korth, fine.
If you bought it from a dealer who dealt directly with a U.S. agent, you took the scope back to them for warranty service. had no dog in that fight, but could clearly see that was the case long before it was brought to light.

I'm not sue what the big deal here is except we tend t gang up on dales and brands a lot some of us stating things when we have had no direct experience with the brand or dealer.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-20-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:30 PM

Cat either your drinking heavily or not proof reading your posts.