Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Default wholesale sports calgary

Had a buddy of mine reccomend wholesale sports to restring my bow. Anyone use them before? Calgary archery center said their wait time is a little long and o need it done by the weekend. Wholesale also won't charge anything for doing it.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Go to Jim bows.

Go anywhere but WSP
Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate guy View Post
Go to Jim bows.

Go anywhere but WSP
x2
Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Go to Jim bows.

Go anywhere but WSP
x3
Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 AM

Why wouldnt WHS charge to change strings?

Neil
Old 04-22-2015, 07:48 AM

I thought it was odd that they wouldn't charge but they told me on the phone that as long as they are not busy they would do it free of charge.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Some people might have a different opinion but..

Do everything bow related at Jimbows.. I'm not surprised at a long wait time at archery centre.. that place has let me down several times with complete and utter lack of service..

I keep going back to try and give them another chance only to be crushed. Never had an issue with Jimbows, even on a weekend when each guy is running around taking care of 5 people at once.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Go to Jim bows.

Go anywhere but WSP
X4
Old 04-22-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I thought it was odd that they wouldn't charge but they told me on the phone that as long as they are not busy they would do it free of charge.
Hmmm... But how much for the bow tune...spec tune and centershot

Since it only takes seconds to change a string out...thats a good marketing statement

Its the tuning of the bow to all bow specs..and than accessories to center shot tune then combining proper arrow tune...that takes all the time most Pro Shops charge for...

We include all above in string change with purchase of strings also...

Careful you could walk out of there with a bigger bill than buying strings and having them installed and bow fully tuned at your local Pro shop...

Personally I would suggest as Above also...

Neil
Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 AM

wow I work at one of the wholesales in Edmonton and when I change a string I make sure it goes back to bow spec and centershot, and in tune we don't charge for that time at all... had a guy come into my store the other day and he brought his bow with a cracked limb and not in tune or to spec at that came from jimbows so you just need to watch where your getting done, know your specs and double check them and learn to check the tune its not hard.... nobody can be perfect but that's being human ..
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
wow I work at one of the wholesales in Edmonton and when I change a string I make sure it goes back to bow spec and centershot, and in tune we don't charge for that time at all... had a guy come into my store the other day and he brought his bow with a cracked limb and not in tune or to spec at that came from jimbows so you just need to watch where your getting done, know your specs and double check them and learn to check the tune its not hard.... nobody can be perfect but that's being human ..
As should be yes ...doing it correct...good job...but do they change strings for free there?

Neil
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Yes we do.
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yes we do.
So a shooter brings in his own strings to you...you change out, spec tune, center shot tune, match arrow tune all for free???

Neil
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 AM

what I do is change the string spec tune it and set center shot with laser, I inform them that they need to do the rest... i'm pushing for the rest but as for now they don't want us to every store is different
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM

To the Original Poster do you already have the string? Or are you hoping to get this from the store?
I cannot see why CAC would have a long wait if ordering the string isn't part of it.
What bow do you need re strung?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM

Yes I have the strings already. When I called CAC they said they will take my bow for a minimum of a day but can't give me a time cause the shop has many orders already on the go.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I find this statement bogus, first of all a cracked limb.....probably means the bow suffered some misuse or a dry fire. Of course specs will be out, also dependant of bow & string quality you will also have some settling or stretching that will bring a bow out of spec. You cannot sling mud at Jimbows for a dryfire or string stretch.
Personally I can't believe you wasted your time checking specs on a bow with a cracked limb.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Had a buddy of mine reccomend wholesale sports to restring my bow. Anyone use them before? Calgary archery center said their wait time is a little long and o need it done by the weekend. Wholesale also won't charge anything for doing it.
Save yourself. .... go to Jimbows

I only let the best, to work on my bows.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Yes I have the strings already. When I called CAC they said they will take my bow for a minimum of a day but can't give me a time cause the shop has many orders already on the go.
I cannot comment on WSS in Calgary but have heard nothing but good things about Jimbows Calgary. If I was you I would head down to Jimbows and get your string installed while you wait shoot it a few times and then get your peep realigned shoot it 200 shots or so then get the specs and timing checked/tuned.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I find this statement bogus, first of all a cracked limb.....probably means the bow suffered some misuse or a dry fire. Of course specs will be out, also dependant of bow & string quality you will also have some settling or stretching that will bring a bow out of spec. You cannot sling mud at Jimbows for a dryfire or string stretch.
Personally I can't believe you wasted your time checking specs on a bow with a cracked limb.
you can find it bogus all you like doesn't mean you are right ... looked cracked to me... as for miss use just going by what he said it was 1/2 shorter a/a then it what it should have been, and set to the max... I was not slinging mud I was just stating that it could happen anywhere... I cant believe you opened your mouth
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff

Last edited by backyard; 04-22-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
you can find it bogus all you like doesn't mean you are right ... looked crack to me... as for miss use just going by what he said it was 1/2 shorter a/a then it should have been and was crack to max... I was not slinging mud I was just stating that it could happen anywhere... I cant believe you opened your mouth
What are you even talking about? "looked crack" "was crack to max"
What could happen anywhere?
Its simple you brought up a company's name insinuated that they were responsible for either the out of spec bow and or cracked limb in someway?

Care to explain how you figure this?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
What are you even talking about? "looked crack" "was crack to max"
What could happen anywhere?
Its simple you brought up a company's name insinuated that they were responsible for either the out of spec bow and or cracked limb in someway?

Care to explain how you figure this?
there fixed it for you..... and there's nothing to explain this is where the guy said he had it done at.... not bashing anything just stated it happened there that's not bashing but you wouldn't know that would you...
Thanks for pointing out my mistake
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff

Last edited by backyard; 04-22-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM

A cracked limb could easily cause a bow to be out of tune... Very few guys admit when they dry fire a bow...that could cause the other issues to.

I think the guy didn't want to go back to where he bought the bow (Jimbows) because he was likely a little embarrassed.

No doubt that Jimbows knows what they are doing and no doubt certain folks working Archery counters at WSS know what they are doing to.

LC
Old 04-22-2015, 04:57 PM

WSS is the last place in Calgary I'd take my bow to get restrung. Of the 3 in town I'd go to Jimbows or wait at CAC to get it done. No offense to the guys at wholesale who know what they are doing but I'd much rather a Pro shop do work on my bow.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:54 PM

At one time they had a very experienced person working that dept.His name was Pete.
One of the best in the business and an awesome shot.
Customer satisfaction was high on his list.
Sounds as though he is no longer there.Too bad
Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Wholesale in Edmonton north put the string on my brother in laws bow.. They did a fine job, did not charge and had him shoot it and commented on the draw length being wrong.

Cabelas (Cameron) being the Bear dealer sourced him a hard to find mod and installed at no charge.

Hey I am not a bow tuner by any means but I shoot a bunch and have been for years. I have top end bows that I usualy replace every 2 years. I usually have any work done by Lawrence or John but for lots of things the bigger stores are just fine. Some of might not remember but Wholesale on Edmonton north had one of best bow techs around for years

Oh and by the way even the best small bow shops have off days