Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned

Default Ever wonder what the animal sees?

I made a video from the animals pov. I slowed it down for the three shots so you can see the arrow coming. Something interesting is at 100 yards the mic on the iPhone can't pick up the sound of the shot but you can hear the arrow zipping in from a little way out pretty good. In real time you wouldn't hear the arrow before it was too late though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=7igXSLrzGgI

Old 04-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Banned

Pretty cool video and good shooting.
Sounds like a golf swing.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:14 AM
Banned

That's awesome Kurt, have never seen a video with that perspective, good idea. Critters don't see that much. What is the FPS of your arrow?

Great shooting as usual, thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
That's awesome Kurt, have never seen a video with that perspective, good idea. Critters don't see that much. What is the FPS of your arrow?

Great shooting as usual, thanks!
My arrows are coming off the string around 300fps I think. I can't remember if I chrono'd these ones, they're 465gr. In real time you can't see anything. The slow motion adds 3 minutes to the video. Real time is 3:53 but when it's in slo-mo it's 6:49, so it slows it down quite a bit.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM

I made a video like that ones using the slow mo option on my iphone. Worked amazingly well. I was only shooting from 20yards. But if you slid your finger, goin through the video manually, you could see the arrow spinning. Really interesting to watch from that perspective.

Good shootin. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM

Outstanding...kind of what we did in the ole days standing behind sheds while shooters shot at targets...to listen to different arrow and bow set ups...

Would be a very informational tool for instruction...

If you did that video in real time sound useing same bow different arrows and fletching..example: Blazers- helical or offset...4 inch vanes - helical or offset...real feathers..maybe a few with different arrow weight

I would pay for that video!!!

Neil
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Outstanding...kind of what we did in the ole days standing behind sheds while shooters shot at targets...to listen to different arrow and bow set ups...

Would be a very informational tool for instruction...

If you did that video in real time sound useing same bow different arrows and fletching..example: Blazers- helical or offset...4 inch vanes - helical or offset...real feathers..maybe a few with different arrow weight

I would pay for that video!!!

Neil

I down loaded the video in real time for reference.

Even 100yds down range that arrow is coming in fast. Still can't hear the shot and the zip of the arrow happens quick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apEhvO...e_gdata_player
Old 04-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I down loaded the video in real time for reference.

Even 100yds down range that arrow is coming in fast. Still can't hear the shot and the zip of the arrow happens quick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apEhvO...e_gdata_player
Ya well GOOD LUCKING DODGING THAT!!!

Red colour stands for bleeding to death, especially the way you shoot! LOL
Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Ya well GOOD LUCKING DODGING THAT!!!

Red colour stands for bleeding to death, especially the way you shoot! LOL
Actually if you ever watch Bowhunter Magazine TV show they have done the test of people being able to hear a bow and possibly move out of the way of the arrow. Basically the person held a silhouette target at 20 yards and were blind to the shooter. The person holding the silhouette had to move it out of the way by just listening for the sound of the bow. Everyone was able to move the silhouette out of the way every time (at least what they showed on the episode). It was interesting to watch and was set up as a test to the ability of a deer to jump the string. I am sure I wouldn't be able to get out of the way but it was interesting that everyone could get the silhouette out of the way of the arrow.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
Actually if you ever watch Bowhunter Magazine TV show they have done the test of people being able to hear a bow and possibly move out of the way of the arrow. Basically the person held a silhouette target at 20 yards and were blind to the shooter. The person holding the silhouette had to move it out of the way by just listening for the sound of the bow. Everyone was able to move the silhouette out of the way every time (at least what they showed on the episode). It was interesting to watch and was set up as a test to the ability of a deer to jump the string. I am sure I wouldn't be able to get out of the way but it was interesting that everyone could get the silhouette out of the way of the arrow.
Yup ..was like what I metioned earlier...we would stand safe behind a garden shed with target in a shooing lane...we would drop to ground if we heard arrow or bow go off...back in the day of five inch helical vanes...we could do it suprisingly often...some brand bows the shot was so noisy you could sit on ground and wait for arrows....lol

Speed and stealth of bow now days have improved that tenfold...however an animal that comes into range that is on spring coils /nervous / skittish...it is still possible for them to "jump the string"

Neil
Old 04-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Banned

I saw a mythbusters where they had a ninja trying to stop an arrow, quite comical. Another one they were trying to dodge a paintball.

I think I'm going to try the same kind of video from 60yds. I've shot quite o few animals from that range and haven't had one jump the string from that distance. It seems that with a fast enough bow there might be a great advantage to shooting at longer ranges, so long as you can keep consistent accuracy.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Cool video Kurt. At real time you can hear the snap of the bow string, then you just catch the arrow in view a second before it hits.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Cool video Kurt. At real time you can hear the snap of the bow string, then you just catch the arrow in view a second before it hits.
You could hear the bow? I tried my desktop and my phone and couldn't hear it. I like it in slow-mo, it's pretty neat seeing that arrow com in. I wish I could slow it down even more.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:26 PM

thank you for posting something cool and useful on this site!! that is awesome. think it's time to pick up the bow again, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
thank you for posting something cool and useful on this site!! that is awesome. think it's time to pick up the bow again, lee
You're welcome! Thanks for watching! I'm glad I rekindled your intrest.

Mike W sparked my intrest in shooting a little while back, made me go out and buy my first Bowtech. I haven't shot much in the last few years, it's a lot cheaper than shooting the rifle that's for sure.

With these bows shooting so fast now a days, it's made long range shooting a bit more doable. As you could see in the video, it was a pretty windy day but I was able to keep most of my groups fairly tight still because of the shorter hang time I think. I only lost 1 arrow and it was because I re-set my sight and guessed at where my 100yd mark would be. I did blow up a second arrow by hitting the rebar holding up my Yote. So technically my arrow count for the year is at about $50. That's about 60rds with the rifle.

I hope other members start posting up some archery videos, maybe I'll start a thread for the youth shooters, my son was hitting the vitals on my Glendal buck from 30yds pretty consistently.

Get out there and shoot, it's theraputic!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:14 PM

never even got the bow out of the case last year, checked the sight in year before, and never did hunt. i know it's a bowtech, tribute i believe. last thing i brought out of the states 5 or 6 years ago. bought three bows in Virginia while doing shows down there, was a lot of fun whacking w/t does on a gal's farm with a nuisance permit while i was there, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.