Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-26-2015, 04:06 PM

Default nafa letter

received the latest check today.great!

wanted to point out the letter that came along with it. hopefully every body reads it. basically saying they encourage everyone to discard badly damaged(ie,heavily sewn),tainted, and summer skins. as the cost of dressing in relation the price of the skin is very high.

the other day, talking with the fur buyer about this issue. he pointed at his trailer and said " there's 2500+/- coyotes in there. every body sells me their crap/junk. at least 25%, probably more,of those dogs will come back from the dresser, worthless. i have to make up for it, with the prices i pay."

same goes for the buyers at the auction.

i'm sure folks are still going to cut/patch/sew there garbage, and sell it. i doubt they would, if they where going to pay there own money to have it processed.see it on the internet all the time "sew it up,send it in, who cares"

its ONE(there are others, i know) of the factors that keeps wild fur prices down compared to the ranch fur.IMO.

anyway, hope every body got a great big check!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Funny how this buyer tells everyone the same story but yet buys up every so called (bad) coyote there is. Brian should start handing out rubber boots when he shows up.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Yup I read it and kinda laughed in a way. Why not send in your crap when you still get paid is what I thought. I send in 2 Damaged 3 coyotes and got $20 a piece U.S. If I had to pick those out of the pile I am not sure if I could have graded them that accurate and said they were a waste of my time. Obviously if I thought they sucked I would have chucked them in the first place and not wasted my time skinning them.
I think for the average guys trapping they do what they do and cross their fingers that the piece of fur is worth something. Everyone thinks their fur is top notch and worth a pile and are sometimes surprised when it isn't.
All I got to say is I am excited about this next sale. Dollar is good for us. And I got most of my best pelts there
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM

IMO...NAFA has the ability to track by account # who sends them the crap. They could start paying them accordingly and reward the guys that send in good quality pelts.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
IMO...NAFA has the ability to track by account # who sends them the crap. They could start paying them accordingly and reward the guys that send in good quality pelts.

the people that buy the ranch fur know which farms put out the best product. and pay according.

difficult to do when the wild fur is all bunched together. even with the best grades of wild fur. some of it is garbage for various reasons, and slips by. they take this into account, in the amount they pay.

in a perfect world, a producer(wild fur) would not purposely send in junk. the buyers wouldn't have to count on a % being worthless. we would get more $.

coy, it looked to me like everybody in black. already had rubber boots on.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post

coy, it looked to me like everybody in black. already had rubber boots on.
Ouch
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM

I have been told by multiple boys in black to "Take your crappy, light fur, rubbed, and small yotes to the fur buyer. I was told the FB will pay better than the auction. "
I won't separate my catch and try to gain. I don't send in shot gunned yotes and I'm not a taylor. I think the average Guy snareing yotes isn't trying to screw the system. I believe they judge the fur not whether your Taylor skills are any good. So if you have a graded damaged yote and it sells for $20 I think that is fair. The end user knows that it is damaged. But when a high graded yote is sewn 5 pieced back together it is a tad dishonest. But like the one boy in black told me sell it to the fur buyer let him take the hit at the auction. I don't believe that is any good either.

This is the exact reason I am not a fur buyer I don't want to get screwed on a deal and then screw the next guy down the line.