Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
All that you need is 5cm of water above your trap and most guys put the end rig the hole in the bank. If the water is shallower, you have to dig out the run a bit so the trap will fit and be under water with at least that 5cm over top. I usually make my colony traps 5"x5" or 6"x6" but I had an order for a bunch of 6"x4" colony traps. The reason being was that the water was shallow where the fella was trapping and the 6" fit nicely in the run and the 4" kept it under water.

If you put a sub or colony trap in deeper water you'll need to put a couple of pieces of wood in an X at either end to get the rats to dive underwater and into the trap.

PM me if you need colony and/or submarine traps, I just bought a brand new roll of 16 gauge galvanized welded wire mesh. I'll be making traps right up until I start trapping Spring rats.

I'm headed to Mexico in the morning and I'll be fishing for burbot as soon as I get back. Trap making re-commences the second week of March.
Excellent, thanks again Dave.
You might have a pm or two from me for when you get back. I will give making my own a go, if not i will Definetly be interesting in talking about buying some off of you.
Have a good trip!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder monkey View Post
Are you still catching some nice coyotes?
yes. its so stupid that the season begins oct1 and ends feb 28. i would make alot more sense. to start on the 15th(oct) and end march 15. around here anyway. the first two weeks, they are ALL too early. right now, they are all great,with the odd one rubbed.

sorry for the derail. back to rat trapping.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 PM

This time of year I look at sloughs to see any rat tracks. Right now my sloughs are all still frozen over quite deep also I have shallow sloughs. But nice warm days the rats will burrow out of the ice and pop out a snow bank in the reeds. If you follow the tracks you can see the hole. Place a 110 or 120 over the hole. Check daily all you need is one hungry yotes to snab your rat for dinner and take your trap. I have taken some of my biggest rats like this. These sets are limited and you won't be seeing huge numbers. About 1 to 2 rats per burrow. But its a start.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 PM

Sounds like a good idea bill, i will have to go out the the properties tomorrow(hopefully). I will need to buy a bunch of body grip traps. I have some other items coming from halfords, should i get the traps from them too?