Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Default Transporting non-restricted firearm for predator control

Hello all. My brother-in-law asked me an interesting question regarding transporting and storing a shotgun, while he is working in his food truck at farm auctions and working/ camping at weekend long rodeos in southern Alberta. I looked at the RCMP site, and basically all it says is to keep it unloaded and out of site, and I think trigger locked or cable locked. He is worried about predators robbing him in the middle of the night or stopping him on the gravel road or highway after the sales are over. He is not a hot tempered fellow, very mellow, actually. But he would not like to see his hard earned dollars or life being taken by 2 or 4 legged predators. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:01 PM

You are misunderstanding the regulations, with a few very specific exceptions, such as parks, no trigger lock or cable is required. If you are in the vehicle, it can be laying next to you in plain sight. As for discharging the firearm at night, it isn't allowed, unless you can get some type of special authorization from the authorities.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-08-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Keep key to trigger lock on a string around your neck and store shells seperately in your shirt pocket and have cased shotgun beside you with zipper open enough to slide it out. Works for me when transporting valuables. Key word "transporting".
Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Keep key to trigger lock on a string around your neck and store shells seperately in your shirt pocket and have cased shotgun beside you with zipper open enough to slide it out. Works for me when transporting valuables. Key word "transporting".
Why trigger lock it lol?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Don't have to go through all that! If you are with your firearm it can be out as elk11 described. Does not matter what you are transporting.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I will be speaking with him on the weekend, and he will be some what relieved. It is a shame our world is turning this way.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
He is worried about predators robbing him in the middle of the night or stopping him on the gravel road or highway after the sales are over.
The problem is as soon as you even hint of any intention of using the firearm to prevent a robbery by a " 2 legged predator" you will be in more trouble than the person trying to rob you. As said before you can not discharge a firearm after dark for those 4 legged predators either. You can not discharge a firearm on a maintained road either. Basically your screwed on that end.

As for actually transporting a non restricted firearm, it needs to remain unloaded while in the vehicle and out of site if the vehicle is not attended. If you are in the vehicle you can have it and the ammo in plain site as long as it remains unloaded. You can even have a loaded magazine as long as it remains unattached to the firearm.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 PM

Didn't he do firearm safety course before getting his PAL?

Quote:
When handling firearms around any type of vehicle, follow the steps below:
• Never have a loaded firearm in or on any vehicle unless you are allowed
to shoot from that vehicle. Unload before entry. Load only after leaving.
• It is especially difficult to control muzzle direction when entering or leaving
vehicles. Take extra care to point the muzzle in the safest available direction
at such times.
• When a firearm is in a vehicle, it must be placed in a secure position where it
will not be dislodged or stepped upon.
http://publications.gc.ca/site/eng/9...blication.html
Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Why trigger lock it lol?
I was under the impression trigger locks were required under the safe storage laws so I will research that. LOL, also it just might impress a queens cowboy if you get pulled over because they seem to make up laws according to their mood or lackoftimmies, so better safe than sorry.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression trigger locks were required under the safe storage laws so I will research that. LOL, also it just might impress a queens cowboy if you get pulled over because they seem to make up laws according to their mood or lackoftimmies, so better safe than sorry.
You are confusing storage and transportation, they are not the same. And even then, a trigger lock is only one of multiple options for the safe storage of firearms. I don't use trigger locks, and my firearms are legally stored and transported. I am actually very disappointed to see just how many firearms owners are not aware of our firearms laws.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Banned

As long as you are in the vehicle you can have it riding on the dash board. Keep the loaded clip in your pocket. Good to go.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 PM

While transporting your gun in a vehicle , you do not need a trigger lock unless it is a restricted gun,
I was stopped by a sheriff at spirit river, just as I stopped at a Ufa gas station to fill up for the road home.
Still had my gun beside me and my magazine laying on the dash and one in the console.
Same with my son, they came up each side and asked if we had guns , I said yes, right be side me, then we had to get out of the truck, while they check the guns,. No problem guns were unloaded.
The officer on my side started saying they didn't like the way the shells were within in reach.
Would like the guns put away or trigger locks on.
I just stated that was not the law , and they were going to stay legally where they were.
He didn't look to happy but there was nothing he could legally do. As I was following the law already.
They then went to my father inlaws truck ahead of me and said the same thing over about gun locks and putting in a gun case. He took his gun and locked it and put it in the gun case. I told him he did not have to do that but he didn't want to cause trouble .
Old 02-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
While transporting your gun in a vehicle , you do not need a trigger lock unless it is a restricted gun,
I was stopped by a sheriff at spirit river, just as I stopped at a Ufa gas station to fill up for the road home.
Still had my gun beside me and my magazine laying on the dash and one in the console.
Same with my son, they came up each side and asked if we had guns , I said yes, right be side me, then we had to get out of the truck, while they check the guns,. No problem guns were unloaded.
The officer on my side started saying they didn't like the way the shells were within in reach.
Would like the guns put away or trigger locks on.
I just stated that was not the law , and they were going to stay legally where they were.
He didn't look to happy but there was nothing he could legally do. As I was following the law already.
They then went to my father inlaws truck ahead of me and said the same thing over about gun locks and putting in a gun case. He took his gun and locked it and put it in the gun case. I told him he did not have to do that but he didn't want to cause trouble .
What your father in law did was going to result in other firearms owners being bullied, because the sheriff now knew that some people would comply with his demands, even though he was exceeding his authority.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Banned

All good replies for sure. But take a look at the thread on this forum as to what a guy (Stanley) is experiencing as far as protection from 2 legged predators is concerned. Food for thought.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
As long as you are in the vehicle you can have it riding on the dash board. Keep the loaded clip in your pocket. Good to go.
Or back window, like the good ol days! I think my dad even made a gun rack for the 77 belair he drove, and I know he had one made up for the tractor.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM

May as well tell him to bring a shovel too. Like stated above about your intentions with 2 legged predators. You'll get in more trouble than the robbers. Shoot, Shovel and Shut up is what someone once told me about predator (4 legged) control.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
All good replies for sure. But take a look at the thread on this forum as to what a guy (Stanley) is experiencing as far as protection from 2 legged predators is concerned. Food for thought.
Too many witnesses
Old 02-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
The problem is as soon as you even hint of any intention of using the firearm to prevent a robbery by a " 2 legged predator" you will be in more trouble than the person trying to rob you. As said before you can not discharge a firearm after dark for those 4 legged predators either. You can not discharge a firearm on a maintained road either. Basically your screwed on that end.

As for actually transporting a non restricted firearm, it needs to remain unloaded while in the vehicle and out of site if the vehicle is not attended. If you are in the vehicle you can have it and the ammo in plain site as long as it remains unloaded. You can even have a loaded magazine as long as it remains unattached to the firearm.
True

Loose lips sink ships

You are under no obligation to answer any questions if detained. None.

Produce your documents, licenses and sit there with your mouth shut
Old 02-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
True

Loose lips sink ships

You are under no obligation to answer any questions if detained. None.

Produce your documents, licenses and sit there with your mouth shut
Loose lips sink ships....Cool saying, Navy?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Loose lips sink ships....Cool saying, Navy?
I dated a sailor once
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Banned

It's a sad state of affairs these days how many gun owners are beyond clueless when it come to laws surrounding storage and transportation of non-restricted firearms. Kind of shocking actually that people believe that trigger locks and gun safes are mandatory.

You could have a rifle wrapped in a blanket under your bed with the bolt removed and stored elsewhere in the home and you are well within the law.

Same goes for transportation, so many people believe that you have to use trigger or action locks.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I dated a sailor once
What was his rank?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 PM

Back in about 2008 I was in Wholesale sports and waiting for my number to come up, A person next to me said that is a neat looking shotgun that a person was looking at. I mentioned that is what they use in cowboy shooting. It was a hammered coach gun.

He said that the only gun that he ever fired was his service pistol. I asked him if he was with CPS (Calgary Police Service) and he replied that he was. after chatting for a moment, he said, "remember when you used to be able to drive around with rifles in the back window of your pick-up?" I replied yes and, that you still can.. He said no you can't. I said that you can but, if you leave your vehicle you must bring them down out of sight from the outside and lock your vehicle. he said, no you can't. Now, there was a cop who didn't know the regs.

Having sdaid that, I would not drive down the Deerfoot with rifles in my back window because, you would see the smoke coming from the 911 comm centre from overloaded lines with people calling in saying there is a crazy guy driving down the Deerfoot with a bunch of guns. If you were coming from the north, you wouldn't get any further than the 64 St. overpass.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Back in about 2008 I was in Wholesale sports and waiting for my number to come up, A person next to me said that is a neat looking shotgun that a person was looking at. I mentioned that is what they use in cowboy shooting. It was a hammered coach gun.

He said that the only gun that he ever fired was his service pistol. I asked him if he was with CPS (Calgary Police Service) and he replied that he was. after chatting for a moment, he said, "remember when you used to be able to drive around with rifles in the back window of your pick-up?" I replied yes and, that you still can.. He said no you can't. I said that you can but, if you leave your vehicle you must bring them down out of sight from the outside and lock your vehicle. he said, no you can't. Now, there was a cop who didn't know the regs.

Having sdaid that, I would not drive down the Deerfoot with rifles in my back window because, you would see the smoke coming from the 911 comm centre from overloaded lines with people calling in saying there is a crazy guy driving down the Deerfoot with a bunch of guns. If you were coming from the north, you wouldn't get any further than the 64 St. overpass.
I know all of the x cps that have worked at WSS Calgary in the last 18 years. I can not think of one whose one and only was his service pistol. I do not know why they would hire someone like that unless he worked in camping or fishing. I have heard many people who think that gun racks in the backs of vehicles are illegal. WSS chose not to sell gun racks because the law made them not very practical, but not because they were illegal.

Edit: My bad. You did not say that the x cps worked there. yep! Not all cops know everything about the present gun law.