Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Default First Focal Plane Scopes

I am just wondering who here hunts with a scope that is in the FFP. I have done some reading up on them and I like the idea that it stays constant through out out all the magnification ranges. I.e. if your next mildot is for 200 yards on 3 power it will be the same on 12. What I cannot seem to find is how the scope(s) performs at low light conditions when it is on its lowest magnification setting. Let me know if you have had a hard time seeing the reticle on the low mag setting and please include the make and model of the scope
Cheers
Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 AM

I run a Burris XTR III. 5-25 on my hunting rifle.
The 5 power is a bit high I would prefer to of had 4 power.
You can't really use the retical to it fullest at the lower power.

I dont have a problem with low light conditions at the bottom end, At the top end it gets a bit darker as light fades. But it is more of beong picky as the quality of the picture does not degrade. It just goes a bit dark.
I would not hesitate buying a FFP scope. Do your research on what scope you buy. About failures and problems.
Cheers.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 AM

There is no change in low-light conditions from an FFP scope to a SFP scope. Well there shouldn't be at least.

At low mag though the reticle can be hard to see depending on mag range. I have a 5-25 and at 5 the reticle is small but I am rarely on 5 anyways.

To make a FFP scope worthwhile you need a reticle that is actually useful. Mil dot is OK and probably suitable for most hunting applications. A boone crocket reticle in a FFP would be useless (doubt you could buy one though).

I would think the bushnell LRHS series could be right up your alley. a 3-12 or 4.5-18 range is good. It allows them to have a better sized reticle as the it isnt a 5x.