Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Default Ambassadors for conservation

I was sent this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lug-wm1EQA&t=7s video yesterday.

Many of us including myself have similar stories or trips that we have fond memories of. The camaraderie, laughter and fireside stories all make these trips special in one way or another.

After watching this video I was left feeling embarrassed and honestly a little shameful to call myself a hunter. I believe the biggest threat to losing our hunting heritage in North America is ourselves, and how we portray ourselves on social media and videos like the attached. Video's like these only fuel the anti hunting movement even more. We need to educate people on wildlife management and conservation and what it does for the health and well-being of a species over the long term. Showing a video of a moose taking its dying breath from 700 yards away and then cutting it up with a reciprocating saw does not help our cause.

I am a proud member of SCI, ABA and BHA and i consider it an honour to call myself a hunter. When I am hunting with one of my children and fortunate to shoot and kill a deer, it is my opportunity to mentor them. Teach them about wildlife, biology and sustenance hunting. Our children are the future stewards, and ambassadors. Don't get me wrong, I can go to the grocery store just like every other abled Albertan and buy a steak off the shelf, but I choose not to and instead take the opportunity to teach my children about meat and where it comes from and how its processed in the wild.

We need to show and film more videos about the experience of the hunt. You aren't going to win any votes at the next townhill by showing videos of hacking up a moose with a reciprocating saw or pulling a Caribou out of a river with your jacked up Tacoma.

I believe Steve Rinella and Jim Shockey do an excellent job of this on their respective shows. They don't always kill an animal and instead use the opportunity to educate. Raising awareness for conservation and land management. I think the a great example of this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhrRb_Apfuw&t=78s

If we want to share hunting experiences with friends and loved ones for generations to come, we need to be ambassadors for conservation and not social media hillbillies.

Just my .02

Tarmac

Last edited by Tarmac; 02-06-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Although I agree (and am a BHA member myself who often supports SCI Calgary through their raffles)....you're just gonna get called a Y2Y anti 30times on this forum haha
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 PM

They didn’t really need to film the lying moose kill.
Except for that I have no issue with the vid, good for those guys.
Local Alaskan fellows on a hunt, got the right equipment too.
It’s not Alberta, obviously.

TBark