Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Opinions on Kuiu Yukon Gear

I see that Kuiu has a sale on Yukon gear from Feb 1-3, but before I pull the trigger on it I was wondering what everyone’s opinion is on it is. I’m mostly wondering if makes you extra sweaty being that it’s waterproof, or if it’s still comfortable to wear all day. I have several pairs of Attack pants and Guide jackets, and love them, but not sure how the Yukon compares.

Options and comments welcome.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:10 AM

It is very good gear for when it is wet and cool. You will be sweaty on warm days wearing it. It's breathable but not breathable enough if the temps are above 10 or 15.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Kuiu

I have the whole KUIU set up .... and nothing is waterproof unless it’s plastic and not breathable. I have the verde 1 Yukon rain jacket and pants. They are good in a light rain. Still soak through. I tried rewashig each single piece with the dwr wash and still get wet. The most disappointing part are the gators. Need them to keep my boot tops from getting soaked and they fail also.
I just fell out of love with the Kuiu stuff. Had a huge hard on for it. Now .... not so much. I will still wear it but am looking into others first lite Sitka. I see they don’t offer sales anymore and it’s A pain even with the Canadian conversion and taxes.
Overall it’s good gear. I’ve been watching the sales and it doesn’t look like they are going to get much better than buy the jacket and get the pants for half off. The company has grown too much too fast and they can charge whatever they want now. Good on them !!
The rain pants are noisy. I don’t mind but my hunting partners complain. I’m going to get the attack pants for the dry weather.
My 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I have a bunch of Kuiu stuff including the lightweight rain gear, but I’m worried it will get ruined on an upcoming moose/dall sheep hunt in the NWT by walking through all the willows. That’s the reason I was looking at the Yukon series - I think it will be tougher and stand up to wear and tear better.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:22 PM

It's really good light weight gear. I like the stuff I do have. I also like the Sitka stuff I have.
It's designed for ultra light mountain hunting. They best in the industry as far as I'm concerned . Price is also better then Sitka .
Old 02-04-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I have a bunch of Kuiu stuff including the lightweight rain gear, but I’m worried it will get ruined on an upcoming moose/dall sheep hunt in the NWT by walking through all the willows. That’s the reason I was looking at the Yukon series - I think it will be tougher and stand up to wear and tear better.
The Yukon gear will defiantly hold up better than the lightweight rain gear. It's pretty durable. I've walked a bunch of miles in the willows in the wilmore with no rips or tears in mine.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:26 PM

I've got the jacket and pants. Definitely requires tech wash and re application of dwr to stay dry in them but they're durable.

In my opinion the fundamental design flaw of the jacket is that it's too short. I've been living in NZ for almost 2 years now and the jackets over here hit at the mid thigh instead of the waist. It's far superior for staying dry especially when sitting to glass. It also breathes better due to the fact the bottom of the jacket fits looser which just promotes overall better airflow.

I'm looking at selling mine and potentially buying a Swazi Tahr Anorak. It's NZ made and according to the hunt with fairly bulletproof. There's all manner of ugly thorny spiky vegetation over here and it holds up.