Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Use to walk a quarter section, rabbits, Huns, you name it if I poked around and flushed it it went in the stew pot...little did I know that all the stopping and not necessary walking a dedicated direction put more game up.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
It may be just me, but when I am carrying a loaded firearm and my hunting partner is carrying a loaded firearm, the last thing I want is to be tied together.

It may also just me but when my dog is on lead no matter how long the lead my gun is not loaded. In a training situation I handled the check cord and my wife carried my gun empty. When a point was established she took the check cord and I took the gun.
Leashed or Not, our club has dedicated gunners for all of our training.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 AM

Default Dogless

Of course if you have a dog you dont need to be tied together.This thread for the hunters who dont have a dog,and want to pick up a few birds for table fare.When hunting at close quarters,safty is always the first consideration.You have to trust yourhunting partner as he you.More than once we have walked into a flock with an unexpected explosion of wings,the dogs gets the same consideration as humans,many times as well no shots fired,dogs and man go home safe empty handed,planning the next trip---as you say stop it as you try to drive with the dog from the back seat licking your ear.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Leashed or Not, our club has dedicated gunners for all of our training.
That's a good rule
Old 02-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Of course if you have a dog you dont need to be tied together.This thread for the hunters who dont have a dog,and want to pick up a few birds for table fare.When hunting at close quarters,safty is always the first consideration.You have to trust yourhunting partner as he you.More than once we have walked into a flock with an unexpected explosion of wings,the dogs gets the same consideration as humans,many times as well no shots fired,dogs and man go home safe empty handed,planning the next trip---as you say stop it as you try to drive with the dog from the back seat licking your ear.
Just me, but when I am handling a loaded firearm I do not want to be tied to anything be it another person with a firearm to a dog on a lead.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Just me, but when I am handling a loaded firearm I do not want to be tied to anything be it another person with a firearm to a dog on a lead.
You are not the only one1. I don't want anything that might possibly pull on me while I am handling a loaded firearm.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Default no tie

Quote:
Ok,got it---You have a dog--this thread for the hunters without a dog and want to pick up a few pheasant for table fare--cheers
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Default Hunter versus shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Use to walk a quarter section, rabbits, Huns, you name it if I poked around and flushed it it went in the stew pot...little did I know that all the stopping and not necessary walking a dedicated direction put more game up.
That makes you a hunter,more so than a shooter.for sure enjoy the day more and some game in the bag for table fare.cheers--I think i saw you last season walking slowly and stopping up the hopewell dyke,no dog,then bang and from a distance i could see the feathers floating as you picked up and admired the next days dinner.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:01 PM

Default safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You are not the only one1. I don't want anything that might possibly pull on me while I am handling a loaded firearm.
You are absolutely right,I am a long term hunting guide and big part of my day is watching clients and how they handle there firearms.And to further the cause of safty,Will invite dogless hunters and show them how to safely use the very productive rattle bottle system to harvest pheasant.gratus of course.The cost of a system cant be more than $10.00.probably make up a half doz sets,now that i have my traps and snares up.223ing now on good and windless days.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Ok,got it---You have a dog--this thread for the hunters without a dog and want to pick up a few pheasant for table fare--cheers
No I do not think you get it! I no longer have a dog and I said that early on in this thread. I also do not think it is a good idea to be tied to anything while carrying a loaded firearm. I said I did not think it was a good idea, but I actually think it a foolish idea, Since you can not read between the lines, I hope you get that.

I have been around for a while and have lots of ways to put birds in the bag without doing a drag line on a grassed field. I love eating pheasants but I think your dope a rope method is not worth it.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:37 PM

Default dope a rope not worth it

Not worth what????? we came out with limits from hopewell,frank lake namaka dogless,we got pheasants for sure we would not have if just walking---A lot of interest ,good chance you will see it in action next season.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Not worth what????? we came out with limits from hopewell,frank lake namaka dogless,we got pheasants for sure we would not have if just walking---A lot of interest ,good chance you will see it in action next season.
Some people will not be tied to each other when handling loaded firearms, because the risk that it presents, just isn't acceptable to them.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-04-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:07 PM

Default Truck drop

Oh i get it all right,On several occasions this season at,namaka,hopewell,frank lake i have been on site during the drop,I guess the people you are talking about were not there,It was afew times a foot race ,every man for himself and god for us all,I leased my dog and watched in awe as the dumb releasd birds were slaughtered in minutes,at frank lake another time our dog well out on point,two dogless guys cut in and shot the bird at a very bad angle to us.I could go on.Gentleman in the field are become less---dont like the rope maybe best not to do it. hunt safe cheers.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Default Picture of dogless system

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!!! a genuis
A picture of the rattle bottle rig as described early.Cost about $10.00.Its simplicity is self explanitory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottle.jpg (58.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Getting a limit does not justify anything!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Oh i get it all right,On several occasions this season at,namaka,hopewell,frank lake i have been on site during the drop,I guess the people you are talking about were not there,It was afew times a foot race ,every man for himself and god for us all,I leased my dog and watched in awe as the dumb releasd birds were slaughtered in minutes,at frank lake another time our dog well out on point,two dogless guys cut in and shot the bird at a very bad angle to us.I could go on.Gentleman in the field are become less---dont like the rope maybe best not to do it. hunt safe cheers.
How do those rotten apples take away anything from those who do not endorse your rope and bottle method because they feel that method might interfere with safe gun handling? I would feel better about your method if both ends of the rope were manned by people without firearms.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Hunter versus shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Is hunting too fast, slow down and let dogs hunt out all cover. Pheasants are smart enough to let you walk by them if they think you will. Stop often to make them nervous.

Next biggest mistake I see is nagging the dog with whistle or voice. Pheasants know that all that noise coming towards them is not a good thing. If your dog is running long train them to stay in range. If they are hunting close enough to you stop barking orders or whistles while they are doing their job.

Always trust your dog when they get birdy despite what you think you can "smell" in the area!! I have had a rooster explode from a clump of grass in bald prairie near a well used cattle waterer we didnt think held a bird for 1/2 mile around
Your comments for sure put you in the hunter,dog loveing group,good dogs for the most part know the game,rules--the other hear there yells whistles 1/2 kil away.cheers safe hunting.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:59 PM

I can see it working for sure in the territory the OP speaks of (bald arse prairie), but not treed release sites in the central / northern part of the province.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:04 PM

Default rotten apples

Quote:
How do those rotten apples take away anything from those who do not endorse your rope and bottle method because they feel that method might interfere with safe gun handling? I would feel better about your method if both ends of the rope were manned by people without firearms.
I now hunt with a super trained griffon,and other days an excellant yellow lab.How people feel is important,although i no longer use the drag,i would be willing to demostrate to our excellant club safety people just how safe this system is and presents no danger whatsoever to the hunters.The system $10.00 cost is for the dogless guys who want to pick up a few birds for table fare.----There maybe however some dogowners who are resentful not because of safety issues but because,the idea of a couple guys walking off the field with there limit,useing the $10.00 rig.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:18 PM

It has nothing to do with being a loving dog owner and frankly I’m blown away you would resort to this method. If the fishing is dead, I don’t throw away the rod and dredge the bottom with a net... just sayin. I guess in the end it’s each to their own, but I would never do or endorse what your suggesting.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Default silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
It has nothing to do with being a loving dog owner and frankly I’m blown away you would resort to this method. If the fishing is dead, I don’t throw away the rod and dredge the bottom with a net... just sayin. I guess in the end it’s each to their own, but I would never do or endorse what your suggesting.
Bad comparison,these are released pheasants with a 1in 100 chance of surviveing the winter,most survive only hours,its a gift to the hunters of alberta and i hope it continues.this for the hunters who legally want to pick up a few birds for table fare---safely.That you dont agree is not important,--silly
Old 02-04-2018, 08:56 PM

Well this one has run its course as OP feels the need to argue.
Closed Thread