Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 PM
Banned

Default Welder

For the fellows that weld , What would be a good rig to weld light material , IE: 1/4 inch etc ? Hobby welder perhaps that does not break the bank.THX
Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 AM

My dad found a 4 in 1 on eBay, (mig, stick, tig, and plasma) for $260 works great for light stuff! I wouldn't recommend it for serious work, but if you're looking for something to do a bit of hobby building or repairs to your toys, you can't really go wrong. I've never welded with it myself, but I used the plasma cutter when I build my stainless evaporator tank.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:47 AM

Are you on Gunnutz?
This ad vvv was just posted = Airdrie Alberta

2 welders Mig/flux and stick Pressure washer
both in exc cond . mig/flux 80 amp , stick 125 amp . lincoln wire . comes with 2 carts , spare wire spools/sticks , paste , pliers , gloves , helmet , freshly filled tank of argon (i own it not leased) , with brass gauge set Everthing needed nothing else to buy . I bought all this to weld rockers and my jeep last spring (ran 6 hours) . Moving to smaller house . $500 local

Trades ? Asena 20 ga semi , winchester sxp 20 ga combo , H&R 500sw

Name: wel.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 75.7 KB
Old 02-02-2018, 06:39 AM

Canadian tire has a decent little wire feeder made by Lincoln that goes on sale every so often.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/li...8530p.html#spc

Don't go with the super cheap buzz boxes at princess auto if you're going cheap.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:34 AM

I've got a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 in the buy sell for $250
Old 02-02-2018, 08:43 AM

Lincoln 180 mig at CT when on sale.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Impact View Post
I have one for sale. never used and comes with never used box of accessories including auto dimming mask. $650
Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Do you have access to 220V to plug into? If so go with a 220 welder.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Impact View Post
This
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Welder

Miller trailblazer 325 Efi is a good starter welder.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Miller trailblazer 325 Efi is a good starter welder.
I'm guessin' he's not lookin' for a $6500 welder.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 PM

I currently have four welders so I can offer a bit of advice.
For what you plan on doing I'd go with a 110v wire feed/MIG welder.
You can use flux core for now and switch gas if you want cleaner welds and plan on using it more.
For a decent price you can get a decent brand name (Miller, Lincoln or Hobart) used welder but even a small one won't break the bank new from Canadian Tire or a Hardware store. Just about every flyer I get has them on sale around the $500 mark.
I have a Miller 211, a ESAB TIG, a Forney AC stick welder and a cheap wire feed welder. I tend to use the cheap wire feed welder with flux core the most.
It's easy to just switch it on, grab my gloves and helmet and run a quick bead or tack to weld something up or repair something.
220 would be the way to go if you have access to it in your garage, shop or wherever you plan on welding and some machines are dual voltage.
110 machines are nice because they're small and portable enough that you can take them anywhere there's a 110 plug.
Flux core welds aren't as pretty as welds with gas but the advantage of flux core or gasless welding is that you don't have the tank to lug around and it can be done in windy conditions. On smaller amp machines flux core actually penetrates better.
Stay away from Princess Auto welders, they work OK but tend to leave people frustrated with them and give up on welding altogether because they aren't as easy to get a nice weld with if you're inexperienced.
One more thing to add to this already long winded post, use Lincoln or Hobart wire or welding rods no matter what welder you choose. Don't buy cheap consumables.
Oops, another thing lol, Get an auto shade helmet. It will make the learning curve a little less steep.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 PM

One more thing on the auto dark helmet... make sure get one with a replaceable battery. I have two barely used older autodarks hanging on the wall totally useless with non functioning non replaceable batteries
Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 PM

I'll have a older 180 Hobart Mig w/gas regulator for sale once I find a decent sale price on a Lincoln 210 MP Multi-Process.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I currently have four welders so I can offer a bit of advice.
For what you plan on doing I'd go with a 110v wire feed/MIG welder.
You can use flux core for now and switch gas if you want cleaner welds and plan on using it more.
For a decent price you can get a decent brand name (Miller, Lincoln or Hobart) used welder but even a small one won't break the bank new from Canadian Tire or a Hardware store. Just about every flyer I get has them on sale around the $500 mark.
I have a Miller 211, a ESAB TIG, a Forney AC stick welder and a cheap wire feed welder. I tend to use the cheap wire feed welder with flux core the most.
It's easy to just switch it on, grab my gloves and helmet and run a quick bead or tack to weld something up or repair something.
220 would be the way to go if you have access to it in your garage, shop or wherever you plan on welding and some machines are dual voltage.
110 machines are nice because they're small and portable enough that you can take them anywhere there's a 110 plug.
Flux core welds aren't as pretty as welds with gas but the advantage of flux core or gasless welding is that you don't have the tank to lug around and it can be done in windy conditions. On smaller amp machines flux core actually penetrates better.
Stay away from Princess Auto welders, they work OK but tend to leave people frustrated with them and give up on welding altogether because they aren't as easy to get a nice weld with if you're inexperienced.
One more thing to add to this already long winded post, use Lincoln or Hobart wire or welding rods no matter what welder you choose. Don't buy cheap consumables.
Oops, another thing lol, Get an auto shade helmet. It will make the learning curve a little less steep.
I've been happy with Blue Demon welding wire and rods. Like it better than Lincoln or Hobart. I second the look for a good second hand welder.

I tend to use a welder off of a generator. Welders on the grid suffer from brownout periods, , especially around 5-8 pm when everyone is cooking. All of a sudden you settings will act wonkey.