Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Inflatable mattress and pillow for back country

Good morning. Anyone want a bit of a read with their morning coffee?

I doubt I am the only one who keeps thinking about sheep hunting even though it's still half a year away? haha.

I finally went on my first back country sheep hunt last season with a long time sheep hunting friend. We did not see any sheep that time, but we did hit blizzard type weather for most of it. It was still awesome and my gear kept me comfy warm and dry. I am hooked on sheep hunting now. Haha. The only thing that was not awesome was the weight of my pack. Holy man I brought too much stuff and need a few more light weight items. hahaha. Big learning curve there.

Anyways, most of my back country gear I have had for many years and it is good quality stuff and lightweight. 2 things I would like to replace, though are my mattress and pillow. I have the luxury thermast and a very compactable fleece pillow. Been using them for many many many backcountry fishing trips, winter camping in the back country and a few shorter back country hunting trips, but hauling my pack over mountains for days on end on a sheep hunt, I think I can use something lighter for the "sleeping component" of the adventure. Plus the fleece pillow does not really have much support anymore. I have been putting my pack or other things under the head of my mummy bag for support, but have since seen inflatable pillows online that would provide even better support and comfort and are also very lightweight.

I do have a spinal condition so unfortunately I do need a mattress that is bit thicker and provides good support. I keep in good shape to kept my spinal condition in check, but sleeping on a thinner mattress really gives me grief.

Sooo, I am looking for advice on a lighter more compactable mattress and better pillow to bring. I have been seeing very lightweight mattresses of different brands and inflatable pillows. I have seen a few combos that combined are much more lightweight than those of my current mattress and pillow. I know I will have to go and take a look at a few myself to determine what is best, but thought I'd check here since there is a wealth of knowledge with the member's of the forum.

Thanks and don't forget to count sheep as you sleep until opening day.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:30 PM

Therma-rest makes a very nice and light pillow.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:48 PM

Therma Rest makes an awesome cot that takes up less room than a mattress pad and i it find way more comfortable. A bonus is you can level out the feet for uneven ground.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM

For a pillow I just shove some clothes into my sleeping bag's stuff sack. Cant help with the mattress as you are already using a more comfortable mat than I am.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:20 PM

I have an Exped Downmat for winter and shoulder season use and a Thermarest Neoair Xlite for ultra lightweight. If you have a bad back, I’d recommend looking at the Exped.
Can’t help ya with pillows: I just use rolled up clothes for pillow.

Good luck on the sheeps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 03:24 PM

Exped Downmat
Old 02-01-2018, 03:57 PM

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...t-sleeping-pad

some good options here
Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 PM

For comfort to weight ratio you would be hard pressed to best the Exped Downmat. I have one and find myself carring it far far more often than my thermarest prolite. I tried a NeoAir once but found it was like sleeping on an inflatable chip bag. The Big Angus Q-Core may be the only lighter mat that is at least (maybe more) comfortable.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:38 PM

I'm a guide and spend a lot of nights in the backcountry during the summer. I found the therm-a-rest Neoair is WAYYYYYY to noisy (crunchy) - try it in the store before you buy and you'll see what I mean (super annoying in camp when someone has one, you can hear every time they move at night). My wife and I went with the Big Agnes Q Core SLX. Still noisy but not as much (when paired with a Big Agnes sleeping bag with the pad sleeve and it's quiet)! Heard good things about the Exped as well but they are even more $ (I have only tried the Exped Megamat and it was awesome - but that's not for backpacking). The BA SLX is over 4" and is super comfy and rolls down to about 3/4 of the size of a 1 litre Nalgene water bottle!! They also have longer & wider versions. I'm 5'10 160 and the regular is fine. I'd recommend it for sure!

-Confucius
Old 02-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Exped downmat 7 also has the highest R value 5.9
Old 02-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
For a pillow I just shove some clothes into my sleeping bag's stuff sack. Cant help with the mattress as you are already using a more comfortable mat than I am.
Same on the stuff sack. Thermarest neo air lite is pretty good, thick, compact, and light. Noisy though as mentioned.

Bring in a box of wine, drink wine and then use the plastic bag as a pillow is another option if you like wine. Doubles as a water bag in camp...
Old 02-01-2018, 05:44 PM

It's almost 2 lbs though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stir View Post

-Confucius
Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 PM

With regards to a pillow...

The combo of a therm-a-rest fleece pillow case and down jacket, is dreamy!!

-Confucius
Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 PM

I am happy with my klymit static v insulated. 4.4R, 24oz, around $90 .
Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stir View Post
It's almost 2 lbs though!!
I find it's not much different than carrying a Z-Light pad and a ProLite pad for late season/winter (less bulk).
Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 PM

Exped Downmat 7. If you need lighter they have an ultra-light version. Same warmth, just cut slimmer and more "mummy" shaped. I used my 1996 thermarest 3/4 length for 20 some-odd years before I upgraded. Never put a hole in it but finally decided to go with the Exped. Expensive and very very nice. Can't comment good or bad about other high-end mats.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:47 AM

I've had an exped downmat 7 for nine years and it is still going strong. Most comfortable and warmest sleeping pad I've used in 30 years, well worth the weight.